Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Master Fan

I think it's time Clare realizes what it's like to be embarrassed or feel insecure. Because Eli seems to have more sense than I initially thought, I think he needs to ditch her and stay single for a while. Whatever happened to their friend Adam? Oh, Clare probably sees no problem with having a boyfriend and ignoring her friends because that's what you're "supposed" to do in a committed relationship.

They've been dating for a couple of weeks and she says I'm losing everything I love and he responds with not me? Don't flatter yourself dude. And when she says she wants to spend the night with him, I think she ran away from home or her parents kicked her out and she has nowhere to stay. However, they need to address the abstinence thing soon.
vivalalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:52 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellifluouscloud (View Post)
YES. I THOUGHT THAT TOO. (I'm too lazy to pull up the anti-Eclare thread but whatever, this is relevant.) It felt like... did the writers really think we wouldn't remember that scene from 3 years ago? I mean. It wasn't that long ago. It was literally the EXACT same set-up, the dialogue was almost identical, the whole reason behind it was the same. I'm tempted to splice together both scenes side-by-side just to see the comparison.

As for her acting out re: her parents' divorce, I thought that was odd as well, but I don't have a whole lot of knowledge about divorce/coping methods, so maybe I shouldn't judge. I just thought the whole scene was weird... I honestly felt nothing. Like I didn't feel sorry for her at all, and it had less to do with my feelings about the character and more to do with the story being really over-the-top. And we have to endure more of it in the next two episodes. Hurray.

I hope Mr. and Mrs. Edwards remember to tell their other daughter that they're getting divorced. Actually, wait. I hope Mr. and Mrs. Edwards remember that they have another daughter.
I was reading in another thread that the same person apparently who wrote last night's episode also wrote Owner of a Lonely Heart. Whoever it is shouldn't be writing anymore considering they can't even come up with anything original.

Even though my hatred for her character did have some to do with me not feeling sorry for her, even if I liked her I still probably wouldn't have felt bad for her. Mainly because of the immature way she acted and constantly throwing Eli under the bus for no reason.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that. The last time I remember Darcy being mentioned was by Peter last season. Clare or her parents have yet to mention her in a long long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worththeriskx (View Post)
yeah, the only difference was in this plot Eli was basically thrown under the bus. he wanted her parents to like him.
Yes, and at least in the Janny scene, Jay and Manny weren't really dating and the whole dinner was to make her parents hate him. Eli and Clare are actually dating, what kind of person would want their parents to hate their boyfriend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalalove (View Post)
I think it's time Clare realizes what it's like to be embarrassed or feel insecure. Because Eli seems to have more sense than I initially thought, I think he needs to ditch her and stay single for a while. Whatever happened to their friend Adam? Oh, Clare probably sees no problem with having a boyfriend and ignoring her friends because that's what you're "supposed" to do in a committed relationship.

They've been dating for a couple of weeks and she says I'm losing everything I love and he responds with not me? Don't flatter yourself dude. And when she says she wants to spend the night with him, I think she ran away from home or her parents kicked her out and she has nowhere to stay. However, they need to address the abstinence thing soon.
I wish she would, but I don't see that happening. Eli "loves" her. Ignoring her friends of the opposite sex when she's in a relationship is usual Clare behavior. She did the exact same thing to Connor in Season 9. Once Connor helped Clare and KC get together, Clare never spoke to Connor again. She's such a great friend, huh?

That just made me roll my eyes, but they're trying to portray Clare and Eli as the perfect couple so it didn't shock me. I agree about addressing the abstinence thing, but I think they might not mention it if they do sleep together in order to Clare look more perfect.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:01 PM
Master Fan

Speaking of, whatever happened to the Clare/Connor friendship?

They should try to shove that under the rug and see what happens. The lack of continuity is really starting to grate on my nerves more and more lately. At the end of the day, I know and simply refuse to disbelieve that not all teenagers have sex. Having every character lose his/her virginity in high school is simply not realistic.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:58 PM
Loyal Fan

^^

I agree. I don't know the statistics, but I'd wager at least half DON'T. So having every character on the show lose it is extremely unrealistic.

That said, I don't think eClare will sleep together. I really hope they don't. I think it's just the promos trying to make Clare's (rushed) breakdown look dramatic.

BTW, I would have preferred Clare's rebellion to be a season long plot. Instead it so rushed (4 episodes back to back?) that it makes little impact. I like how Fiona's drinking problem/anxiety was handled in the boiling point. It had a more realistic build up.

Quote:
Ignoring her friends of the opposite sex when she's in a relationship is usual Clare behavior. She did the exact same thing to Connor in Season 9. Once Connor helped Clare and KC get together, Clare never spoke to Connor again. She's such a great friend, huh?
This annoys me. The last time she interacted with the tenners was when Alli danced on the field at the beginning of the boiling point. The dropped friendships are really grating. The writers need to step up the continuity.

My fics: Fadam / Badam / Rebel
Bandbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Master Fan

I also hope Eli/Clare do not go too far. The only thing I like about Clare is that she believes in abstinence. They send the wrong message when the only characters that choose not to have sex were raped, molested or were portrayed as "nerds."

I agree about Clare slowly going from good girl to bad. It's not going to make sense when at the end of the season she and Eli are engaged, her parents have decided to work things out, Darcy comes back, and she doesn't even remember having a meltdown.

People have been complaining about the overkill with the same characters being in episodes week after week also. At least over the summer, a set of characters got the two parter and then another set got the next one. But no, this time around it's all about Eli/Clare (not much a difference from The Boiling Point either). We haven't seen Zane, Riley or Owen at all yet.

The fact that she hasn't spoken to Connor, who was portrayed as her best friend when they both first appeared in season 8, is quite sad. I know that people grow and change and move on, but they haven't had any contact at all really.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:58 AM
Passionate Fan

to you guys for basically stating my thoughts but in a way that actually makes sense
Quote:
I agree about Clare slowly going from good girl to bad. It's not going to make sense when at the end of the season she and Eli are engaged, her parents have decided to work things out, Darcy comes back, and she doesn't even remember having a meltdown.
This is exactly what's going to happen at this rate. I can't even take this seriously anymore.

I think we should get an explanation for why Clare doesn't talk to Connor anymore. And what about Adam? Was she ever friends with him?
Old 10-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandbabe (View Post)
^^

I agree. I don't know the statistics, but I'd wager at least half DON'T. So having every character on the show lose it is extremely unrealistic.

That said, I don't think eClare will sleep together. I really hope they don't. I think it's just the promos trying to make Clare's (rushed) breakdown look dramatic.

BTW, I would have preferred Clare's rebellion to be a season long plot. Instead it so rushed (4 episodes back to back?) that it makes little impact. I like how Fiona's drinking problem/anxiety was handled in the boiling point. It had a more realistic build up.

This annoys me. The last time she interacted with the tenners was when Alli danced on the field at the beginning of the boiling point. The dropped friendships are really grating. The writers need to step up the continuity.
Yeah I'm pretty sure the statistics that don't are around half. It's pretty unrealistic for every teenager to have sex and be in a serious relationship during high school. The only characters who have graduated a virgin from Degrassi are Ellie, Toby and Jimmy. Possibly Danny and Hazel, but their sexual history was never really brought up.

I hope they don't either. But I agree that the promos are probably just misleading.

I agree. I'm not very happy with 4 episodes in a row revolving around Clare. They could have developed the storyline more and have it progress throughout the season rather than having it all rushed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalalove (View Post)
People have been complaining about the overkill with the same characters being in episodes week after week also. At least over the summer, a set of characters got the two parter and then another set got the next one. But no, this time around it's all about Eli/Clare (not much a difference from The Boiling Point either). We haven't seen Zane, Riley or Owen at all yet.

The fact that she hasn't spoken to Connor, who was portrayed as her best friend when they both first appeared in season 8, is quite sad. I know that people grow and change and move on, but they haven't had any contact at all really.
It's pretty unfair. Dave hasn't showed up either. Riley and Zane are two of my favorite characters and we have yet to see them. I don't understand why it's so hard to balance out the characters.

I have no idea why she hasn't kept in contact with Connor and it's pretty unrealistic. Sure people can grow apart, but they really never spoke again and it's a little strange. Especially considering that Season 9 was only 2 weeks after Season 8.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:27 PM
Dedicated Fan

Hey, there. I'm not really Anti-Clare, but I didn't appreciate her behavior in the last episode. Really, Clare, you're going to take a new-found relationship with someone and destroy it to fulfill some selfish desire involving wanting your parents to not divorce? REALLY? Ugh. I didn't like the 'get-up' she wore. (That's beside the point, but I had to say it.)
I was proud that Eli told her how he felt and that he was the one that got burned, despite her wanting to screw with her parents' minds. She needed to be told that she hurt him. I felt horrible watching that dinner scene. You could tell Eli was holding in his anger, but his expression pretty much confirmed that he wasn't too thrilled with what Clare was saying about him/his family/his beliefs.
I felt more uncomfortable watching this dinner scene than the one with Jay/Manny. Mainly because Eli/Clare have been dating a tad longer and it just adds to the whole betrayal aspect to what Clare did to Eli. Eli had no idea she'd make him look bad. She had no reason to do such a thing. If she really cared for him (I think she does, but..that moment was really questionable for me even), she would have asked if it was alright to screw with her parents - with his input. Then there'd be no backstabbing/betrayal.
I totally understood what he meant by "I felt like a pariah." Applause all around for Eli being blunt and walking off in the hall. Despite Clare's emotional distress, she was in dire need of that talking to.
Lexiness or Lexi~ #7 Adam Supporter!~ #22 Misfits Supporter!~
Supporter/Shipper of The Misfits, Eclare, Kenna, Fadam, Savvy J, Elitz, Ziley, Grossmance/Douchebag, Folly J, Team Bianca
http://lexikatness.tumblr.com/
regiusachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:49 PM
Passionate Fan

^ Like I said before, it really pissed me off. But once again, there are no consequences.

So I know a lot of you guys are anti-Clare completely, but hypothetically speaking, what could possibly make you like her a little bit more?
Old 10-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Addicted Fan

Some of the stuff we've mentioned before... if she had to face rejection. Really face rejection, not just Eli pretending he doesn't like her and then revealing his ~deep dark secret~ about his ex girlfriend dying.

Really, anything to make her seem more human instead of this perfect little do-gooder who always knows the right thing to say. It's something they've really screwed up from the beginning, if you think about it. Most characters are introduced with these obvious flaws and Clare wasn't, really. Her flaws were having this very naive, judgmental, humorless way about her... but that didn't stop Alli (her sort-of polar opposite) from becoming her best friend or KC from falling in love with her (despite her insulting him). And even those "flaws" have mostly disappeared at this point so we're left with Ms. Perfect.
mellifluouscloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:21 AM
Master Fan

If she had slowly transformed from a stuck up prude to a confident and sassy young lady, maybe I would have warmed up to her. But the changes were so sudden, and were fleetingly mentioned in various episodes. She loses her uniform, changes her hair, then changes her hair again, and gets eye surgery and she doesn't even reflect on those big changes. They are mainly noticed by other characters. If she really and truly believed everything her parents taught her as a child and enjoyed being raised by such strict parents, I think she would have felt so free. It's like nothing mattered when she was getting further and further away from her roots.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Loyal Fan

I don't really think I could ever like her. The way her character transformed made it almost impossible for me to ever like her. If she had transformed a different way and handled realistically, I could have possibly eventually warmed up to her. (like being rejected by KC) But it's too late now so I probably never will. Her personality is what makes her so unlikeable to me.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Master Fan

Yeah, towards the end of season 9 after KC broke up with her I started to feel sorry for her...but I quickly came back to my senses.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:02 PM
Loyal Fan

Sooo I really couldn't stand Clare in tonight's episode. Mainly the part where she told Eli she wanted to sleep with him. It sounded really pathetic and desperate. Like she was doing it just to please him and keep him interested. But I thought the Clare plot was sloppily written and rushed during this episode. There were a bunch of things going on at once. One second she was upset about her parents splitting/her moving out and the other she was acting all jealous of Julia. Which is pretty sad considering she's dead. It's not like she's going to magically resurrect from the dead and claim Eli. I did agree with the point Clare made during this episode about how opposites can attract, but they never last. Which is totally true. I never agree when people say opposites attract because all they do is fight and break up. Couples who have nothing in common are just terrible together which has been the case for her past two relationships. I don't understand how it's so hard to find a guy that shares the same interests as her.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:00 AM
Master Fan

Yeah, last night was just...

I will reluctantly admit that I'm glad they didn't shove the abstinence commitment under the rug. But IMO, they abused it's whole meaning and purpose. She tells Eli about her parents, goes to see him at the restaurant, tells him about her beliefs, cries in his arms after she runs out of the newly renamed Jesus Club, and then rushes to his house ready to go back on what they had discussed THE DAY BEFORE hoping she hasn't lost him after her mother tells her she shouldn't have been so afraid to take risks.

What did Eli offer up? The fact that he wasn't a virgin? And that's the other thing that really got me. Did Clare really and truly think Eli was a virgin? I agree with the above. Clare has this personal vendetta against Julia, and it's really gross. Wasn't that the name of Joey's dead wife? They need to stop recycling names for dead females.

Clare does need to start hanging out with her kind of people again. I think I would be able to tolerate her if she went out with Connor or Wesley. Because in real life, those are the only kinds of guys she would be able to get.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top