Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2010, 12:31 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_vanilla (View Post)
IKR? I'm just so frustrated with her. I want to feel bad for Clare, but I can't because I already know it will work out in the end.
Clare's life is really like a disney movie. She always gets the happy ending and everyone is there to cheer her on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe2000 (View Post)
I mentioned after seeing the ultimate St. Clare moment in My Body is a Cage, that I thought it was important for her character development for us to see her do so something cruel and nasty to another character. Seeing her screw up (even if it's something she does to herself more than others) would be good too.

I'm not holding my breath on either happening.
Yes, seeing her mess up or maliciously hurt someone, it would probably make me like her character more. (because I love villains) But like you said, I'm not getting my hopes up because I highly doubt that will ever happen.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Addicted Fan

I agree that Clare never does anything wrong, but bad things happen to her. I don't remember which episode thread it was, but I made a comment that Clare is basically a Mary Sue. Apparently making a comment like that in this fandom is the equivalent of denying the Holocaust. Anyway, the rebuttals from Clare fans were that no, she isn't perfect because her parents are fighting, and KC dumped her, and Jenna is mean to her, and blah blah blah. And I was like, yeah, but... ALL of those "terrible things" were not brought on by Clare herself. She's still perfect. And it feels like we're supposed to go, "boo hoo, poor Clare, she has such bad luck" because these bad things happen to her but none of them were her fault.

So I don't need to see her committing crimes but it would be nice to see her make some mistakes. Like, ever. Or just once. Since we haven't even had that yet. Look at what happened with the stink bomb -- she confessed, but she wasn't punished. How does that make sense? Even her "mistakes" are somehow honorable. Even her "flaws" (such as judging her friends' actions to the point of hypocrisy) are meaningless because her advice is usually right. I realize that's exactly why Clare has so many fans, but it makes her so boring and predictable to me. I always know exactly what to expect.

Which reminds me, I liked the idea that someone suggested for a thread title a few pages back. "Because nobody's perfect."
mellifluouscloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:56 PM
Passionate Fan

All I really want is a teensy little mistake brought on by her own actions and then Clare having to deal with the consequences (and not have it quickly disregarded), just so I can actually see that she's not perfect. Until then, I don't see why people shouldn't be allowed to call her a Mary Sue.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellifluouscloud (View Post)
I agree that Clare never does anything wrong, but bad things happen to her. I don't remember which episode thread it was, but I made a comment that Clare is basically a Mary Sue. Apparently making a comment like that in this fandom is the equivalent of denying the Holocaust. Anyway, the rebuttals from Clare fans were that no, she isn't perfect because her parents are fighting, and KC dumped her, and Jenna is mean to her, and blah blah blah. And I was like, yeah, but... ALL of those "terrible things" were not brought on by Clare herself. She's still perfect. And it feels like we're supposed to go, "boo hoo, poor Clare, she has such bad luck" because these bad things happen to her but none of them were her fault.

So I don't need to see her committing crimes but it would be nice to see her make some mistakes. Like, ever. Or just once. Since we haven't even had that yet. Look at what happened with the stink bomb -- she confessed, but she wasn't punished. How does that make sense? Even her "mistakes" are somehow honorable. Even her "flaws" (such as judging her friends' actions to the point of hypocrisy) are meaningless because her advice is usually right. I realize that's exactly why Clare has so many fans, but it makes her so boring and predictable to me. I always know exactly what to expect.

Which reminds me, I liked the idea that someone suggested for a thread title a few pages back. "Because nobody's perfect."
Oh Clare is most definitely a Mary Sue, or at least a mini-Mary Sue. But she's obviously she's taken over the crown of being the writer's Golden Girl since Emma left. I don't understand why the fans think it's so far-fetched. Clare is the closest thing there is to a Mary Sue on the show. She's the perfect person who lacks noteworthy flaws and always wins in the end. It's pretty clear that she is one of the writer's favorites if not the favorite at the moment. Before I think the writer's favorite of the new kids was Holly J, but after Eli was introduced, I think she has taken over. She has her own plot in 4 episodes straight and we already know that she is getting Jesus etc. and I'm sure many more a-plots and b-plots throughout the rest of the season. I bet she has the last episode before the season finale which for the previous 4 seasons has been the filler episode.

Yep. Like I said before, Clare might make a few mistakes here or there, but they are always justified and she never receives any punishments or backlash from the fans. She never got punished for the stink bomb or giving KC the answers to a math exam. (which was totally unrealistic. Never heard of a 10 question math final exam all multiple choice with no showing work) Which were really the only bad things she's ever done. I can understand why people like her too for the reasons that you listed, but the fact that she is so perfect annoys me, how she is favored by the writers & constantly shoved down our throats and I really can't stand people like her in real life. Like you said, the fact that she never gets in trouble and is always the hero makes her boring.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Loyal Fan

Bumping this due to her scary makeover that will be featured in tonight's episode.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Master Fan

I can't wait to
vivalalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:49 PM
Loyal Fan

haha me too. Her attempt at being gothic is just going to be hilarious not to mention the hideous wardrobe.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Xo, Kitty

OH MY GOD THAT OUTFIT.

most hideous thing ever.
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:39 PM
Passionate Fan

I wish she hadn't roped Eli into that. Yes, it was a mistake, but once again, it was another justifiable one; "she was just trying to get back at her parents." UGH we can't win
Old 10-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Loyal Fan

Ugh. Felt bad for Eli. So wrong the way she was using him. As usual there were no lasting consequences.

Maybe I have a heart of stone but I had no sympathy for Clare's divorce plot. My parents separated when I was 4. It really sucks but she was acting super immature about. "If I act bad then they won't get divorced!" Maybe an 8 year old would believe that, but she's like 15/16 years old.

My fics: Fadam / Badam / Rebel
Bandbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:18 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andra (View Post)
OH MY GOD THAT OUTFIT.

most hideous thing ever.
My thoughts exactly. She looked awful. From the dark eyebrows, the ripped tights, and the white makeup. She looked like a cross between a mime and casper on crack. I couldn't stop laughing that entire scene, I loved the fact that everyone was looking at her like she was nuts and some random extras in the background were pointing and laughing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_vanilla (View Post)
I wish she hadn't roped Eli into that. Yes, it was a mistake, but once again, it was another justifiable one; "she was just trying to get back at her parents." UGH we can't win
Oh I know right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandbabe (View Post)
Ugh. Felt bad for Eli. So wrong the way she was using him. As usual there were no lasting consequences.

Maybe I have a heart of stone but I had no sympathy for Clare's divorce plot. My parents separated when I was 4. It really sucks but she was acting super immature about. "If I act bad then they won't get divorced!" Maybe an 8 year old would believe that, but she's like 15/16 years old.
I did too. Especially at the dinner. It was basically a rehash of the whole Jay/Manny plot.

Me either. I can understand being upset about it, but she was acting so immature. Did she seriously think she could avoid it? She should have just faced the music instead of acting out while making a fool out of herself in the process.

& Not really happy at the fact that Clare gets a plot four episodes in a row. What the hell is that? Riley, Zane, Dave and Owen have still yet to even show up in an episode. Hopefully she'll be a supporting character for the rest of the season aside from her other a-plot in Jesus, Etc. I'm getting really sick of her and Eli.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:02 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplexMoon (View Post)
Especially at the dinner. It was basically a rehash of the whole Jay/Manny plot.
YES. I THOUGHT THAT TOO. (I'm too lazy to pull up the anti-Eclare thread but whatever, this is relevant.) It felt like... did the writers really think we wouldn't remember that scene from 3 years ago? I mean. It wasn't that long ago. It was literally the EXACT same set-up, the dialogue was almost identical, the whole reason behind it was the same. I'm tempted to splice together both scenes side-by-side just to see the comparison.

As for her acting out re: her parents' divorce, I thought that was odd as well, but I don't have a whole lot of knowledge about divorce/coping methods, so maybe I shouldn't judge. I just thought the whole scene was weird... I honestly felt nothing. Like I didn't feel sorry for her at all, and it had less to do with my feelings about the character and more to do with the story being really over-the-top. And we have to endure more of it in the next two episodes. Hurray.

I hope Mr. and Mrs. Edwards remember to tell their other daughter that they're getting divorced. Actually, wait. I hope Mr. and Mrs. Edwards remember that they have another daughter.
mellifluouscloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Part-Time Fan

I have never been so annoyed by a character like I was tonight. The fact she wouldn't even allow Eli talk at the dinner table so she could get a rise out of her parents in order to be rebellious.
I wish were some dinner rolls at the table so Eli could had made her put a cork in it.
Paige/Alex, Hope/Liam, Fred/Stacy, Jacob/Bella, Aster/Vivian, Sophie/Vivian, Sean/Ellie, Spinner/Jane, Jennifer/Needy, Kyle/Fish, Antonio/Layla, Bo/Hope, EJ/Sami, Brady/Chloe, Sonny/Brenda, Whitley/Dwayne

beautiful icon by: doleikita
mysticintentions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:40 AM
Part-Time Fan

Yet again, Clare is just too special to actually suffer consequences for her actions.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:53 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
It was basically a rehash of the whole Jay/Manny plot.
yeah, the only difference was in this plot Eli was basically thrown under the bus. he wanted her parents to like him.

samantha | twitter | tumblr
worththeriskx is offline   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top