Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Loyal Fan

Oh I know right. That was probably the writer's idea of rejection.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:16 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Xo, Kitty

i like claire but umm next week, WHAT IS SHE WEARING?

totally not flattering.
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:49 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplexMoon (View Post)
I definitely agree. Now all Degrassi ever does is a girl/guy crushes on someone, the other person likes them back, they date and then eventually break up. They did it with a most of the older characters, (Ellie, Liberty, Emma, Toby, JT, etc.) but never with the new characters yet. Clare would have been the perfect candidate, but it seems like her and Eli are going to be "together forever" so I doubt it will ever happen.
Wow. This is pretty interesting. You certainly have a point. Now I'm wishing that after Eli rejected her it would have stuck for awhile. Seeing them try to be friends and then much later her feelings were reciprocated. But nope. They go from "I can't be with you" to "You've passed you're french exam".

It's a little too rushed. JT/Liberty was pretty awesome, and it made it more interesting that she crushed on him for a long time before they actually got together.

My fics: Fadam / Badam / Rebel
Bandbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:38 AM
Addicted Fan

Was Clare ever reprimanded for setting off the stink bomb? She confessed to that at the end of AFD, didn't she? I guess Ms. Perfect is immune to punishment.

Also looks like next week, she'll officially say goodbye to chastity. Two seasons with KC and she could barely do more than give him a quick closed-mouth kiss on the lips. A month with Eli and she wants to have sex, forget all her lifelong beliefs, etc. I could believe it if this change was gradual, but since season 10 Clare was a brand new character crafted out of thin air, this is what we get.

And last night's episode brought back seasons 8-9 judgey Clare with a huge dose of hypocrisy! She tells Alli to stay away from Drew while lamenting that she doesn't understand why she's with Eli, since he's kind of a douchebag. She's also delusional for believing that "Fitz started it" so he's to blame. Can SOME other character please bring Clare back to earth? Please?
mellifluouscloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Master Fan

No, Simpson just told them that they wouldn't recognize the school once they got back. So Eli got suspended and she got off the hook.

Yeah, next week begins the bowing down, kissing his feet and the doing whatever he wants stage. She's dressing differently to suit his style, figuring he's experienced and coaxing him to make out in public (I'm fairly certain), and who knows what else? I'm glad Eli asked her who she was because she definitely needs a reality check. Not that I care. She has a great middle name though.

I still don't understand why Clare/Alli made up...and I'm not sure they ever did. I guess Fitz is gone for good after that mention. Oh well, it's a great way to make things easier for the golden couple. I'm okay with Clare's head staying in the clouds. At least it shows her fans that she's not Superwoman.
vivalalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:18 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andra (View Post)
i like claire but umm next week, WHAT IS SHE WEARING?

totally not flattering.
I totally agree. She looks absolutely ridiculous. & I almost puked at that scene in the promo with her and Eli, "Want to stay out late for some contraband and kissing?" Clare, you're not sexy, you're not edgy, save yourself in the embarrassment and just stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandbabe (View Post)
Wow. This is pretty interesting. You certainly have a point. Now I'm wishing that after Eli rejected her it would have stuck for awhile. Seeing them try to be friends and then much later her feelings were reciprocated. But nope. They go from "I can't be with you" to "You've passed you're french exam".

It's a little too rushed. JT/Liberty was pretty awesome, and it made it more interesting that she crushed on him for a long time before they actually got together.
I agree. It was way too rushed and now they have a plot in every other episode. I did like them in BOA, but I'm getting sick of them.

Again, agreed. It took JT a while to like Liberty and even had a few other crushes (Paige & Manny) before he eventually started liking her. I really liked the whole JT/Liberty build up and if they had done that with KC/Clare or even Clare/Eli I would have liked them a lot better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellifluouscloud (View Post)
Was Clare ever reprimanded for setting off the stink bomb? She confessed to that at the end of AFD, didn't she? I guess Ms. Perfect is immune to punishment.

Also looks like next week, she'll officially say goodbye to chastity. Two seasons with KC and she could barely do more than give him a quick closed-mouth kiss on the lips. A month with Eli and she wants to have sex, forget all her lifelong beliefs, etc. I could believe it if this change was gradual, but since season 10 Clare was a brand new character crafted out of thin air, this is what we get.

And last night's episode brought back seasons 8-9 judgey Clare with a huge dose of hypocrisy! She tells Alli to stay away from Drew while lamenting that she doesn't understand why she's with Eli, since he's kind of a douchebag. She's also delusional for believing that "Fitz started it" so he's to blame. Can SOME other character please bring Clare back to earth? Please?
Clare wasn't punished because she had to be there for Alli in this episode. Even though she ditched her all season for "the misfits" and yearbook club, they're still best friends and will always be there for each other! & I don't understand why she was punished either. She could have at least gotten a few weeks of detention.

Yup. What I was hoping wouldn't happen, happened. It's probably worst thing that could possibly happen to her character. The 180 will now be complete with throwing away her religious beliefs and chastity. Watch them not even mention anything about her taking a vow of abstinence. They will try to make it like christian Clare never existed.

She acted like such a hypocrite. Eli might have not started the feud, but he continued it. He had plenty of opportunities to stop it, but he kept making it worse and worse. Fitz brought it a knife, he could have possibly even stabbed Clare. Eli has been such a terrible influence on her.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Master Fan

It's sad because this isn't the message young girls need to be receiving. If a guy takes control of you and you just go with the flow, the relationship can become more than just slightly dangerous. With the Clare/Jenna/Alli trio officially split, KC out of her life, no Darcy, and her parents' crumbling marriage, it looks Clare will have plenty of time to devote to Eli...which isn't exactly a good thing.
vivalalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:32 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Clare, you're not sexy, you're not edgy, save yourself in the embarrassment and just stop.
Made me cringe. Like Nicole said a few posts back, we really do need Sean to step in and tell her she's about as edgy as a butter knife. It's so frustrating for me as a viewer to see Clare go through all these drastic changes to the point where it feels like she was lobotomized, and we have no explanation for anything. That's not character growth. That's lazy writing and it's honestly insulting the viewers' intelligence that we are supposed to buy into the new Clare and take her seriously.

Quote:
Clare wasn't punished because she had to be there for Alli in this episode. Even though she ditched her all season for "the misfits" and yearbook club, they're still best friends and will always be there for each other!
Ugh. I admit I did enjoy the final scene between them, but I had to force myself to ignore the dissolution of their friendship in the first 24 episodes (which also was never explained). I think it goes back to lazy writing again. Like the writers just neglected their friendship so they could prop up the Eli/Clare romance and the fallacious Misfits trio. Also, I think they realized that the Clare/Alli dynamic didn't work too well once Clare's personality had been completely altered. So even though it was a sweet moment when Clare and Alli said goodbye to each other, it fell a bit flat since we barely saw any of their friendship in the first half of the season.

Quote:
Watch them not even mention anything about her taking a vow of abstinence. They will try to make it like christian Clare never existed.
From the previews, it looks like they will mention it, but what's weird is it seems like Eli will be the one to bring it up. Last we saw Eli, he seemed to have no idea that Clare took a chastity vow since he thought she would have sex with Fitz. So if he suddenly knows all about her Christian beliefs... I don't even know.

Quote:
She acted like such a hypocrite. Eli might have not started the feud, but he continued it. He had plenty of opportunities to stop it, but he kept making it worse and worse.
Exactly. How does Clare not see this? She's so quick to judge everyone else (and everyone else's relationships) but she's the exception to her own rules. On some level she sees Eli's faults but she ignores them while doling out advice to Alli about Drew. Eli could have gotten himself (or her) killed, but no, let's focus on telling Alli to stay away from Drew.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:19 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Quote:
And last night's episode brought back seasons 8-9 judgey Clare with a huge dose of hypocrisy!
Yeah, it did- and that judgey Clare is actually part of the Clare that I've liked when I've liked her. But the hypocrisy, especially in regards to Eli was indeed over the top.

Oh and her going on about the rules....still whining in my books- especially since she didn't exactly get much punishment herself for her own dirty deeds.

As for next week, it does seem like it's going to be cringe inducing. It does seem Aislinn is throwing herself into it, so I'll giver her some credit. Not Clare.

And I'll bite my tongue on JT/Liberty and exit stage left.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:33 PM
Addicted Fan

I've been keeping my mouth shut on JT/Liberty too since this isn't the place for it. But, to be fair, in retrospect that relationship still made a thousand times more sense than Clare/KC or Clare/Eli. So it's still a good argument for comparison purposes!

I liked judgey Clare too because she was flawed. But judgey Clare is annoying when she's always right... AND when she's actually doing the opposite of her own judgmental advice!

Speaking of Aislinn, I really wonder if she has noticed the total re-write of her character or if she thinks it's all been natural and gradual. I'd be curious to hear her opinion... but who knows if she'd be comfortable giving a truly candid response.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Made me cringe. Like Nicole said a few posts back, we really do need Sean to step in and tell her she's about as edgy as a butter knife. It's so frustrating for me as a viewer to see Clare go through all these drastic changes to the point where it feels like she was lobotomized, and we have no explanation for anything. That's not character growth. That's lazy writing and it's honestly insulting the viewers' intelligence that we are supposed to buy into the new Clare and take her seriously.
Hopefully Eli or even KC could set her straight. The fact that she is trying to be badass is just laughable. It's obviously just an attempt to get some attention (in all the wrong ways) or she feels the need to change her personality to fit Eli's. And I agree. It's not like she gradually developed over time. She went from a socially awkward nerdy girl fantasizing about her crush to a confident "rebel." It's just not believable at all. I don't know if anyone can take her seriously. I can't help but laugh at her attempts at trying to be sexy and rebellious. At least when Liberty changed her image to rebellious in order to please a guy it was humorous. While as with Clare I just experience secondhand embarrassment.

and I came up with a title, "Because she's as edgy as a butter knife."

Quote:
Ugh. I admit I did enjoy the final scene between them, but I had to force myself to ignore the dissolution of their friendship in the first 24 episodes (which also was never explained). I think it goes back to lazy writing again. Like the writers just neglected their friendship so they could prop up the Eli/Clare romance and the fallacious Misfits trio. Also, I think they realized that the Clare/Alli dynamic didn't work too well once Clare's personality had been completely altered. So even though it was a sweet moment when Clare and Alli said goodbye to each other, it fell a bit flat since we barely saw any of their friendship in the first half of the season.
Definitely lazy writing. Alli and Clare barely were seen hanging out all season and now they're inseparable. That makes perfect sense. Honestly, I never bought their friendship in the first place. It always seemed really fake and forced. They never really had much in common anyway.

Quote:
From the previews, it looks like they will mention it, but what's weird is it seems like Eli will be the one to bring it up. Last we saw Eli, he seemed to have no idea that Clare took a chastity vow since he thought she would have sex with Fitz. So if he suddenly knows all about her Christian beliefs... I don't even know.
Yep, exactly. Major lack of continuity for the writers.

Quote:
Exactly. How does Clare not see this? She's so quick to judge everyone else (and everyone else's relationships) but she's the exception to her own rules. On some level she sees Eli's faults but she ignores them while doling out advice to Alli about Drew. Eli could have gotten himself (or her) killed, but no, let's focus on telling Alli to stay away from Drew.
That is what really annoys me about Clare. She is never much of a good help whenever it comes to relationship advice. All she does is just judge you and pretty much every guy Alli liked she's told her that he's not good enough for her. She really has no room to talk in that area.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:20 PM
Passionate Fan

I feel bad/nervous for bumping this thread up, but I've finally been able to sort out my thoughts in an eloquent manner, rather than "she's just so ugh".

In addition to pretty much everything else you guys have already said, I think another reason I'm starting to dislike her is because nothing in her life is ever self-inflicted. At one point in each character's lives, they've done something that caused a situation, but not with Clare. Everyone else is always doing her wrong. Her parents arguing, Jenna spreading a rumour about her, KC dumping her for Jenna, Eli starting a fight with Fitz, people not taking her advice etc, but in the end Clare always gets the last laugh.

I kind of wanted her to see her screw something up, but I don't think that'll happen any time soon.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Loyal Fan

haha I was actually going to bump this thread up on Friday to talk about my thoughts on Clare in the episode, but I was feeling lazy.

I thought she was acting extremely immature in this episode. I can understand feeling ignored by her parents, but acting out is not the way to get attention, or a way to distract her parents from arguing with each other. If anything, it's just going to make them argue even more with each other. She's going to have to face the truth eventually. Running away from your problems is not going to solve them, it's just going to make them worse. Clare is perfect though (in the writer's eyes at least) so everything will be all better eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_vanilla (View Post)
In addition to pretty much everything else you guys have already said, I think another reason I'm starting to dislike her is because nothing in her life is ever self-inflicted. At one point in each character's lives, they've done something that caused a situation, but not with Clare. Everyone else is always doing her wrong. Her parents arguing, Jenna spreading a rumour about her, KC dumping her for Jenna, Eli starting a fight with Fitz, people not taking her advice etc, but in the end Clare always gets the last laugh.

I kind of wanted her to see her screw something up, but I don't think that'll happen any time soon.
UGH, this x1000. I completely agree with this. Another reason that ties into the fact that she's Little Miss Perfect. Any conflict that goes on in her life is always caused by another person, never self-inflicted. She never does anything wrong and when she does do something slightly wrong it's always justified. In the end of every storyline the writer's goal is to either sympathize with her or cheer her on. Similar to Emma.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:12 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
haha I was actually going to bump this thread up on Friday to talk about my thoughts on Clare in the episode, but I was feeling lazy.

I thought she was acting extremely immature in this episode. I can understand feeling ignored by her parents, but acting out is not the way to get attention, or a way to distract her parents from arguing with each other. If anything, it's just going to make them argue even more with each other. She's going to have to face the truth eventually. Running away from your problems is not going to solve them, it's just going to make them worse. Clare is perfect though (in the writer's eyes at least) so everything will be all better eventually.

UGH, this x1000. I completely agree with this. Another reason that ties into the fact that she's Little Miss Perfect. Any conflict that goes on in her life is always caused by another person, never self-inflicted. She never does anything wrong and when she does do something slightly wrong it's always justified. In the end of every storyline the writer's goal is to either sympathize with her or cheer her on. Similar to Emma.
IKR? I'm just so frustrated with her. I want to feel bad for Clare, but I can't because I already know it will work out in the end.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:54 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_vanilla (View Post)
I mentioned after seeing the ultimate St. Clare moment in My Body is a Cage, that I thought it was important for her character development for us to see her do so something cruel and nasty to another character. Seeing her screw up (even if it's something she does to herself more than others) would be good too.

I'm not holding my breath on either happening.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top