Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2019, 01:30 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

[REWATCH] Degrassi TNG - Episode 101/102 - Mother and Child Reunion: It is a world connected by computers and email.

Let's go back to the start! Emma and company are about to enter the 7th grade.
Get your pencils and notebooks ready for jotting down all your thoughts on the introduction to the TNG OG.

The media immersion lab only has dial-up so no downloading the episode off SoulSeek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
"Mother and Child Reunion" is the two-part pilot episode of the Canadian teen drama television series Degrassi: The Next Generation, which premiered on October 14, 2001 on the CTV Television Network. The episode was written by story editor Aaron Martin and series co-creator/creative consultant Yan Moore, and directed by Bruce McDonald.

The episode received mixed reviews from the mass media, with the Ottawa Citizen saying that it offers "nothing new to viewers familiar with the groundbreaking preceding series", and The Seattle Times saying it "soft-pedals through the issues", although the acting from the new generation of children was lauded as "stellar ... solid [and] believable" by Canoe.ca's AllPop. It was nominated for two Gemini Awards and two Directors Guild of Canada Awards, winning in the "Outstanding Achievement in a Television Series – Children's" category.

Make your suggestions on the next episode to watch (in a week or two) here.

Quote:
As director Bruce McDonald (Hard Core Logo) preps the next scene, Jake Goldsbie, who plays Toby, holds a can of Silly String and his eyes glint.

“Guys . . . guys . . . no!” says a floor director, sensing unprofessional activity in the air.

McDonald leans over and whispers something to Jake, who immediately fires a blast of Silly String into the floor director’s face.

“That was Bruce’s idea!” he immediately says, pointing a finger for emphasis.

It was indeed. The idea of having kids run amok with Silly String was one of those McDonald touches not included in the script.

“It was one of those little touches to, y’know, fill in the space, give the scene some life, give it some jump,” says McDonald, who is directing several episodes of the new series, including the one-hour Reunion Special on Oct. 14 that uses the old cast (Joey, Caitlin, Snake et al) as a springboard to introduce the new.
Source: Bell rings at Degrassi: school series back on: Degrassi: The Next Generation airing Sunday on CTV.

Old 08-24-2019, 09:56 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Thanks for starting this thread! I'm hoping we get at least a few people to watch this, either way I can't wait to see how the reactions are all these years later.

Oh, btw, we realize that the official account may be geo blocked in some countries so if you can find a link for the episode that works for your country please feel free to post it. Thanks!

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:07 AM
Part-Time Fan

The-N skipped this special entirely until after "Under Pressure" (and then months later they finally showed "Jagged Little Pill")
They edited a couple of scenes from the hotel including Spike and Snake running through the hotel halls.

Lately I've rewatched a lot of Degrassi Junior High & Degrassi High episodes
Mother & Child Reunion is nice to see the cameos from the old cast which I definitely didn't appreciate the first couple of times watching this. I would usually skip over the 'boring adults' stuff.

I wish they used more Wheels for TNG like how did with Joey, Snake, Spike, Caitlin
Maybe his life would've turned out differently and he'd still be here today
Old 08-27-2019, 09:33 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I'm still ticked that Wheels scene didn't show up on the DVD, just didn't make any sense.

Anyway. So I watched Part 1...

-The Fedora was passed around quite a bit. In order, wearing it was Manny, JT, Snake, Caitlin, Spike, Lucy. I'm assuming it eventually makes it to Joey, although I honestly can't remember.
-They're such babies!
-Manny in those early episodes will always be adorable.
-Toby without glasses!
-Manny: "That Toby guy seems okay." Spepper FTW!
-Speaking of Toby, you could see his crush on Emma from the moment they met.
-Joey always knew Caitlin would meet "the guy." She did, but then he cheated on her and got another girl pregnant in high school.
-Caitlin: So, what's your daughter's first name?
Angela: Alli

That's part 1, more after part 2.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:32 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Thanks for mentioning the deletes/edits. I was curious about that. I know The-N watered down the scene with Emma in the hotel room. Honestly I was kind of thankful. That was powerfully awkward. And I'm saying that without having done my rewatch yet.

Epitome made things less click-y by condensing it into one video. I wonder if that affected the edits.

I love Caitlin in the episode. I can't believe the guy she nearly ended up with.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:47 AM
Part-Time Fan

Is it Epitome though? I'm curious who runs the YouTube channel nowadays.

They've been uploading the two parters lately
So far
101/102 Mother & Child Reunion
201/202 When Dove's Cry
212/213 White Wedding
801/802 Uptown Girl

I've been watching the split and full versions side by side and there are some notable differences in the other episodes.
Not sure to write them down on their old episode threads or if you're eventually gonna make a new rewatch thread for each episode.

As for Mother & Child Reunion there are no differences except for the scene transitions. The split version transitions naturally while the full version fades out to black for a while.
& At the end of episode 1 The split version has the freeze frame and goes to the credits while the full version just fades to black and goes to the next episode.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:27 AM
Part-Time Fan

The season 1 DVD included a "Where are they now?" scene that the old school cast recorded at the reunion

Here's a rare deleted scene that didn't even make it to the DVD featuring Maya Goldberg.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:10 AM
Part-Time Fan

(source)
Old 08-13-2020, 04:48 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I'm sorry I didn't see this before. I guess I thought it was another one of Jordan's save the trees emails.

I went looking for something to offer up the thread and here's the cast, back in 2001, talking about their career goals as barely teens.

Quote:
Miriam is pleasant and likable but almost all business, and the rest of the cast sits back and listens when she speaks.

“I think that the best part of being on a TV show and acting is the fact that this is a job — and I think I speak for all of us — that we really love doing and we enjoy doing, and for some people, unfortunately, they don’t enjoy their work,” she says.

Ryan and Sarah seem to have no intention of working at a job they don’t like, which is why they are already planning their next career goal.

“I want to continue acting, and I also want to be a pilot,” says Ryan. “So I’m going to try to do both when I grow up, like John Travolta.”

“I’ll continue on with acting as far as it will take me, but I really want to get into being a lawyer or a sales representative or a stock broker,” says Sarah.

Miriam and 12-year-old Cassie Steele, who plays the “betrothed” Manny, sound more certain about sticking with the acting world.

“I really love acting,” says Cassie. “It’s like my favourite thing to do. But I also want to sing and dance, those are other things that I love to do.”

“I want to continue doing ‘Degrassi’ for as long as I can,” says Miriam diplomatically, “and then after ‘Degrassi’, I want to do whatever other acting opportunities I get. If it takes me to Los Angeles, so be it.”
'Degrassi's' got a whole new student body

I remember what I was going to post!

Last edited by kaleidocat; 10-14-2021 at 03:51 PM
kaleidocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:58 AM
Dedicated Fan

this episode was ok. I loved seeing the original degrassi characters back.
semmafightsellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 03:51 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

(Jake Goldsbie)

miriamkatherine26
2O years ago today marks the day the world knew more about Emma than Miriam and the course of my life changed over night. A huge hug goes out to all these amazing people in the photo and the countless others both on and off the show who made the adventure what is was through the highs and lows, and of course to all the fans who show so much love and support to this day.

melmac63
I’ve spent the day feeling so much love, so much gratitude, so much humility, and so much respect for the profound impact it had on my path and the paths of others. I know what it meant (and still means) to me. To read what it meant to so many others… I have no words aside from thank you.

christina.m.schmidtt
{….side note my feed is going OFF today reminding me about the 20 year anniversary of the first episode Degrassi airing! Time goes way too fast! This girl here I met in the audition room and she’s been a bestie and a light in my life ever since!} @andrealewis

Last edited by kaleidocat; 10-14-2021 at 09:50 PM
kaleidocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top