Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 02:50 PM
Loyal Fan

Yahoo Groups Download Tools

In light of YahooGroups deleting group content on December 14th, here is a list of download tools you may use to download all of the photos, files, and messages of any YahooGroup you are a member of. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

Yahoo Groups Download Tools

(Updated Nov, 3, 2018)
(Please refer to back to this Google Doc for the most updated version.
Events are fast moving and both tools and methods are changing.)
(Web-formatted version of this document)

With a few exceptions, most of the Yahoo Groups require that you become a member.

Yahoo has 2 types of Groups:
1, Automatic Membership (anyone can click and join)
2. Moderator Approval membership. If you plan to join a Group that requires moderator approval, here are some sample messages to send to the list owner.
Always start with Yahoo

Once you have finished joining your Groups, submit a request to Yahoo/Verizon asking them to send you a download of your Group data (GetMyData). It will include messages, but none of the photos and only a few of the files. Your deadline is Dec 14, 2019 (although we recommend submitting your data request by Dec 1, 2019 to be safe).
Direct link: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/getmydata

Free (Easy) - Mac and PC

The Chrome Message Downloader extension is a free tool that anyone can use (Mac or PC) on their Chrome browser.
Pros: free, Mac or PC
Cons: It will only download messages, not files or photos. Messages are in plain text so hyperlinks (links to other websites) and formatting will be lost

Free (Advanced) - Mac and PC

Python (link)
Pros: can download Photos, Files and Messages. Faster and more complete. Plus...Free!
Cons: The messages will not be in an immediately human-readable format (json). May be too difficult for beginners to install

Paid - PC (Easy)

PGOffline
Pros: This is the best one stop solution - it will download your files, photos, and your messages in a readable format.
Cons: a one time fee for $25. There is a free trial version that you can try. It will only download 1000 messages or files. The license process is manual - you need to send an email to the developer. He typically responds in 48hrs.

Tutorial (link) or (link)
Video: (link)
Help Others Download (Free)

You can also help the Archive Team (a non-fandom group) who have developed a Chrome plugin that will allow you to join Automatic Membership groups with a temporary Yahoo account. The Archive Team will then take it from there and will do the downloading. Note: this plugin focuses on both fandom and non-fandom groups and the files will not be sent to Open Doors. If you are backing up a fandom group for submission to Open Doors, use one of the other tools listed above.

-----

I chose the PGOffline software (1000 messages for the free trial, then $25 to download as much content as you want), and I am currently downloading!

*this is so exciting* I love when developers and programmers figure out how to do something and share it with the rest of us. They are good people.

--
Note that Yahoo will be deleting all of the user content - messages, files, photos, etc. come December 14, so please don't count on any of them being there after that point! (And I've heard the photos are chancy even now sometimes.) I recommend using one of the methods listed here to back them up: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...QDJH62m-w/edit

Best wishes with archiving,
Paradise / Mercy Derevko

♥ tess/oliver | sydney/vaughn | faith/angel | dawson/joey | lex/lana | rogue/wolverine | harry/hermione | lois/clark | spike/buffy ♥

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread