Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2009, 04:36 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Just had to resurrect this thread

My boss is driving me mad lately. She's lovely and I really enjoy working with her but she has this habit of making a big deal out of things that really don't matter that much. Someone has just started in our department and, ok, he's pretty senior and she is being so sycophantic and bending over backwards about every little thing he mentions. It just annoys me to see people being like that. Obviously be friendly and welcoming but she's acting like his slave right now, and dragging me into it with her.

Kat | icon |
Old 02-24-2009, 06:04 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Work has been driving me nuts lately
Old 02-24-2009, 06:30 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Sorry to hear that, Kelly Anything in particular?

Kat | icon |
Old 02-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Elite Fan

Work frustration can be so overwhelming.

Visit Picture Confessions #2...it's all about secrets!
Old 02-24-2009, 06:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Nah, only 1 night a week, we're missing out on stocks because we can't get a driver on Thursday nights.
So Mondays, we have alot of stocks instead and we haven't got alot of people working nights, so we work abit late now
Old 02-24-2009, 10:57 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Off Topic

I need to practice putting on these faces: when people suggest things that make me want to do these faces instead:

Sometimes, I don't even know whether I should laugh or cry when certain suggestions are made.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

I hate it when employees that haven't been there as long as you try to tell you how to do your job, when I know damn well how to do it!!
Old 02-24-2009, 11:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

We have the same problem at work too ^ it's so annoying
Old 02-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarterley (View Post)
I need to practice putting on these faces: when people suggest things that make me want to do these faces instead:

Sometimes, I don't even know whether I should laugh or cry when certain suggestions are made.
I know just what you mean.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

*sigh*

This guy has started at work recently - he's pretty senior and they're supposed to be finding him his own office but until then he's in the same room as me. Outwardly he's very charming and for the most part he's fine to get on with. But he keeps saying stuff to me that really knocks my confidence and makes me feel awful. It's just little comments about me being dressed "too casually", forgetting to do stuff, he implies I'm lazy and don't work long enough hours and just now when I offered him a cup of tea, instead of just saying yes or no he said "that's the first time you've ever offered me anything". It sounds totally trivial but it makes me feel like crap. I'm really worried that he wants to stay in this office and that I'll be stuck with him forever I just wish he'd keep his little remarks to himself

Kat | icon |
Old 03-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Ultimate Fan

I work as the computer person at my library, and I work about 10 feet from the computers that the people use. Between the ten feet is a bookshelf about four feet high. I have had people yell to me to get my attention because they "don't know how to print" or "want me to type up their résumé" for them, or they want another Visitor's Pass (some of them have outstanding library fees they don't want to pay). One time this guy stood up and snapped his fingers to get my attention, rather than walk up to me. I'm not a maid...

My mom tells me that the customer is always right, but I work at a library. I'm selling nothing!
Old 03-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver lining (View Post)
...I just wish he'd keep his little remarks to himself
He sounds really passive-agressive and I bet he's making those comments just to make himself feel better. There's nothing much you can do about someone like that other than to try to tune them out. I'm sorry that you're having to deal with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostie (View Post)
..My mom tells me that the customer is always right, but I work at a library. I'm selling nothing!
There's a difference between the customer being right and the customer being rude, and it sounds like a lot of those folks are rude! It doesn't help to sink to their level, though. Perhaps you could do the old librarian trick of hushing them so that they have to come directly to you to ask for assistance.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurian (View Post)
He sounds really passive-agressive and I bet he's making those comments just to make himself feel better. There's nothing much you can do about someone like that other than to try to tune them out. I'm sorry that you're having to deal with that.
Thanks I think you're right about him being passive aggressive. I'm really not used to dealing with someone like that, I've never encountered anyone at work before he resorts to making snide comments about someone. I know he annoys other people too but I guess I get the brunt of it because I have to sit in the same room as him. I'm trying to ignore it and just rise above it but I'm (over) sensitive so it's quite hard.

frostie, that sounds so annoying. Some people are so lazy and rude

Kat | icon |
Old 03-25-2009, 09:29 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver lining (View Post)
Thanks I think you're right about him being passive aggressive. I'm really not used to dealing with someone like that, I've never encountered anyone at work before he resorts to making snide comments about someone. I know he annoys other people too but I guess I get the brunt of it because I have to sit in the same room as him. I'm trying to ignore it and just rise above it but I'm (over) sensitive so it's quite hard....
I'm really sensitive, too, so I can imagine how this must make you feel because my stepdad was very passive aggressive. If he thought he was successful in getting at me, it just made him act even worse because he got a charge out of making me upset.

So I think that if you can manage not to respond to this guy's comments, it may slow him down. If he continues being really snide, you might need to start keeping a log of his comments in case you have to lodge a complaint. It's really hard to prove when someone is passive agressive, though.

I hope that he doesn't have to stay in your office.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Well, this is not a work annoyance since I'm unemployed. I hope this still counts since it pertains to work.

I'm 20 years and have never had a real job. I have done little things here and there but I have never had an actual job, I guess you could say. Well, I have two questions. Number one, what is a good first job to have? Number two, if the job requires a resume, what do you put on said resume? I always wonder what do first-time job workers put on their resumes.

We will take the best parts of ourselves and make them gold.
icon credit: lucy
Closed Thread   Post New Thread