Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 06:00 AM
Obsessed Fan

When is making a political statement inapporiate?

So, I was watching Big Brothers Eviction tonight and this guy was evicted. He was pretty emotional in the house but all and all a pretty cool guy. When he was evicted and walking to the stage, he put a piece of masking tape over his mouth and held up a sign that said 'Free th Refugees"

Merlin's protest

I mean, the refugee treatment in Australia is terrible. It's honestly inhumane and dispicable - we treat them worse then any other first world country.

The fact is, I think he handled it wrongly. He did it with no class or grace. Like my flatmate said, he could have had it on his shirt under a zip up jacket - then undid the jacket once he was on the stage. He could have yelled out the protest or talked about it in his charity . But he refused to talk on stage or do his interview - which I believe is being disrespectful to the viewers who liked to watch him in the house, to the host who was trying to do her job and to the producers that gave him the chance to be on this TV show. They all talked with him calmly and asked him to speak, and said that he had made his point but he refused to participate or listen. He came across as a spolit, self-righetous brat - not someone with intelligence.

But it made me think - where is the line of making a political statement?
Old 06-13-2004, 07:01 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Wow, they sure put that up quickly..

I don't know where to draw the line, but I agree..he didn't handle it very well. He chould have easily talked about it in his upcoming interviews..I wonder what he'll say in his first radio interview tomorrow..
Evie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Fan

I made the same comment that he should have just had the message written on his shirt instead. He certainly made his point, but he went over the top and now when he does offer his full opinion on the subject, people probably won't take him seriously coz they'll think he's some extremist loon which is unfortunate because I don't think he is.

I guess being a refugee himself, he feels pretty strongly about the subject so I'm sympathetic to the fact he wanted to say something about it. And when you're on live TV like that with the whole country watching, there's no better opportunity to express your opinion, I guess. He didn't need to be that dramatic about it though IMO, and it would have served his cause better if he'd been willing to talk about his opinion instead of sitting there with his mouth taped shut.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:40 AM
Elite Fan

I think what he did was perfect and couldn't have been better.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:50 AM
Master Fan

Um, at the Oscars.
i got stuck on the side you know i never chose
but it's all about taking the easy way out for you i suppose
*Shannon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 11:58 AM
Part-Time Fan

I don't think there's any inappropiate time/place to make a political statement. I applaud people who dare to say what they really think (even if it is controversial) at times when they know that alot of people are watching and hearing.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:26 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by *Shannon*
Um, at the Oscars.
I agree. You're there to accept an award, for heaven's sake!

---Violet :smurf:
Old 06-18-2004, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Violet Blues
I agree. You're there to accept an award, for heaven's sake!

---Violet :smurf:
I also agree with that. I also don't like it when you go to see a musical group, and they start preaching their politics to you. That happened years ago when my wife and I saw Peter Paul and Mary.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 03:02 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by andiegirl
I don't think there's any inappropiate time/place to make a political statement. I applaud people who dare to say what they really think (even if it is controversial) at times when they know that alot of people are watching and hearing.
I agree ... I don't think there's a wrong time to make a statement on what you believe (though the late Johnny Cash might disagree) - I don't support people that say something controversial just because it would be controversial (Michael Moore, I'm looking at you), but if you truly believe in what you say, then more power to you.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:52 PM
Master Fan

I also agree about having your own beliefs and stating your opinion, especially regarding issues that people tend to avoid because they're deemed to controversial...
Charlize'sAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 07:57 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by *Shannon*
Um, at the Oscars.
Gatta agree. I find it extremely annoying and instead of listening to what they have to say, I roll my eyes and tune out.
The Lord is my shepherd.
Chiqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 08:17 PM
Master Fan

There's no better publicity than the one that shocks. I think this kind of display is to talk to the people who would not give attention if another way was used. The thing is that a show like Big Brother isnt linked at all with politics so including politics that way pass a message to those who might watch that kind of show but not politic ones.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:25 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Avatar
I agree ... I don't think there's a wrong time to make a statement on what you believe (though the late Johnny Cash might disagree)
I've always loved that song, though there are times when I disagree with the lyrics. Nice surprise seeing the lyrics posted here.

Anyway, back to the topic. Personally, I don't think what the guy did was all that inappropriate, especially considering he, himself, is a former refugee. I do agree it would have served the cause better had he shared his experiences as a refugee and discussed it, rather than sitting silently. But then again, would it have had the same impact? Would we be discussing it here at FF?

Drunk Girl
47th & 9th
AuburnGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 08:47 PM
Obsessed Fan

I think that what Micheal Moore etc have done at award shows like the Oscars etc was right - no one really gave a hard time to the stars that said "lets pray for the troops." From memory, he also thanked the people who helped him win that Oscar. I'm all for people making political statements, I think that people who have fame should be able to stand on a soapbox whenever they like.

The fact that annoyed me was that this guy didn't talk at all on his own eviction show - hundreds of people, including children were there to see him. The host, the producers and the shows physcologist all tried to get him to talk and he refused, resulting him being escourted off stage. The thing is though, they all told him he could speak about the refugee crisis and he still refused. I thought it was right for him to smuggle the sign into the house but wrong of him to not use his voice to back up his statement.
Old 06-19-2004, 12:31 AM
Elite Fan

Each one, teach one.

I feel if you have strong enoguh convictions in something, and have the will to express it, and you manage to reach one person,... make one person think about it who normally wouldn't, you did the right thing.