Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 09:17 PM
Passionate Fan

Transferring Colleges...any advice?

I am seriously considering transferring to a college back home. I am way out in Rhode Island and I hate it here. I hate this school, I did a completely 360 and change my major from Hotel Management to Business Admin and I want to transfer.

It's just the process seems so complicated. Has anyone transferred and have any advice or anything??
mh67511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 09:37 PM
Master Fan

I transferred colleges after my freshman year, and it was the best decision I could make for myself. I was truly unhappy at my first university and couldn't imagine spending three more years there.

My advice would to be first figure out where you want to transfer and contact the unversity immediately requesting information on transfer requirements. You could probably even find this info online.

I spent a lot of time on the phone and connected to a fax machine sending paperwork and transcripts to the department of my major. The first thing I did, once I was accepted, was to call the College of Education, explained that I was transferring, asked to speak to an advisor, and from there I typed up a list of the courses I had already taken. My advisor then guided me in the right direction, instructing me on what classes would transfer and which credits would be lost.

I wound up going to summer school for two consecutive summer terms to make up for lost credits, but I was ok with that because I was happy at my new university.

Looking back on it, I suppose there was quite a bit of paperwork involved, but it was worth it. I'm not sure if all transfers require that much work, though.

Drunk Girl
47th & 9th
AuburnGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 10:38 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by AmerEagle11:
<STRONG>I am seriously considering transferring to a college back home. I am way out in Rhode Island and I hate it here.</STRONG>
If you don't mind me asking, what school do you go to? I actually went to Bryant College in Smithfield, RI my freshman year and HATED it as well. I am not a big fan of that state. I transferred after my freshman year to my home state university.

Anyway, I definitely advise you to transfer. Out of all the decisions I've made in my life, transferring to UNH after my freshman year is probably the best. Don't stay somewhere where you'll be unhappy, college should be some of the best times of your life! Where is home for you?

The actual process of transferring isn't that hard. You will need to fill out a transfer application and send them official transcripts. It is similar to applying to a college out of high school. Make sure you get good grades! It's tougher to get in as a transfer than it is as a freshman at most schools. I had a 2.9 and barely got into UNH as a transfer!

Now is about the time you should start the application. I belive I applied in late February/early March and got my acceptance letter in late March. Don't procrastinate!

Any other questions and you can PM me.

-Will
When people get the opportunity to talk about the real issues, it becomes clear how vacuous the present agenda is. I have never met anyone in Vermont who thinks it's a good idea to give tax breaks to billionaires and cut back on health care and education. Nobody.-U.S. Representative Bernie Sanders
Milt Palacio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 10:40 PM
Obsessed Fan

Also, like Amy mentioned, your new school may not accept all your credits. I think I had 6 credits that didn't transfer over. I ended up going to school for an extra semester, but I wanted to stay there anyway so I didn't mind! You can also take classes over the summer if you want to stay on track. Still, it's possible that all your credits will transfer to your new college.
When people get the opportunity to talk about the real issues, it becomes clear how vacuous the present agenda is. I have never met anyone in Vermont who thinks it's a good idea to give tax breaks to billionaires and cut back on health care and education. Nobody.-U.S. Representative Bernie Sanders
Old 02-04-2004, 12:35 AM
Part-Time Fan

I transferred back home to Hofstra from UofArizona, but unfortunately it was due to a family emergency rather than preference. It's not that complicated, it just takes time. Just apply as transfer student and send over your transcripts and make sure they receive them. You may lose some credits, although I think colleges are getting better at accepting out of state credit. Just make sure to follow through with everything and stay in communication with the school you want to transfer to.

Goodluck! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-04-2004, 12:07 PM
Elite Fan

Freshman year is the worst. You just really gotta give it a chance. Maybe you don't like change, and I'm sure it's new.

Join the John Mayer campaign!
**SuperGirl** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 11:06 PM
Obsessed Fan

Actually, freshman year is supposed to be really fun. If you don't like it after a year, definitely get out while you can.
Old 11-15-2022, 12:18 PM
Fun
Dedicated Fan

Don't switch colleges

Easy fix
Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread