Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 02:03 PM
Loyal Fan

Question about weight loss/health

Last year I went through a really hard time in my life, I was really depressed and I put on a bunch of weight. Now I'm doing better and I've been working out,burning about 300 calories a day, lifting weights, and cutting down on fatty foods for the past three and a half months. Unfortunatly I haven't lost any weight yet. Should I be worried, or is this normal?
-Kristi

icon by:Unknown
*Kristi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 02:12 PM
Absolute Fan

hi

oh i know what you mean i got depressed & turned to food for comfort, i was like oh i won't put in any weight, & of course i did

my advice is join a slimming club like slimfast, you have good choices of food to eat & you can make your own healthy recipies http://www.slimfast.co.uk//com if your not from the uk & it will give you some idea's on exercising & eating plans

The best thing to do is not overdoing exercise it won't do you any good, maybe walk for a mile ever day, then do some gentle excercise for an hour or so, get off the bus a stop before etc & having healthy balanced
meals every day

also write down what you eat every day, so you can keep tabs on what you have or havn't eaten

most of all don't worry, you'll soon lose weight , if you stick to good eating/exercising plan

i have already lost some weight

i hope this helped

Last edited by film fan; 12-06-2004 at 02:24 PM
film fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 02:23 PM
Passionate Fan

The relevance of your weight (in terms of actual numbers) depends on whether you really want to drop pounds, or simply get into better shape; there's a big difference. Muscle weighs considerably more than fat does, so if you are exercising a lot, you may look and slimmer and stronger, but you could even possibly put on a few pounds because you're bulking up. Know what I mean?

Also, are you on medication for your depression? That can almost always effect your weight. I used to be on anti-depressants a few years ago and I definitely had trouble losing even a few pounds. I would discuss that with your doctor.

It's also important to consider exactly what you're eating. Diets that lack high calories in fat are good, but if they also consist largely of carbohydrates and sugar, that isn't going to help you slim down much. Also protein (if you have a lot of it) will make you bulk up a lot too.

I had the best success losing weight by jogging and weightlifting a few times a week, and I ate tons of fruits and vegetables and cut back - completely - on juices, sodas, white bread, any starchy and high-sugar foods like that. I lost 25 pounds over a couple months!

Good luck to you Don't get discouraged, the stress isn't healthy for you either!
Ambular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 03:18 PM
Obsessed Fan

Your diet probably needs work. Eat a lot of protein, cut the carbohydrates. Lean meat like chicken and turkey are good. Fish is also very good for you and will help you drop weight. Drink a lot of water.
When people get the opportunity to talk about the real issues, it becomes clear how vacuous the present agenda is. I have never met anyone in Vermont who thinks it's a good idea to give tax breaks to billionaires and cut back on health care and education. Nobody.-U.S. Representative Bernie Sanders
Milt Palacio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 03:21 PM
Passionate Fan

Also, I wouldn't subscribe to any trendy diet plans ... Slimfast, TrimSpa, Atkins, South Beach, etc. They're expensive, don't always work, and usually you find out months down the road that they're unhealthy.

Nothin' beats good old-fashioned healthy diet and exercise.
Ambular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 09:21 PM
Master Fan

i'm the total opposite, when I get/got depressed I lose weight.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:27 PM
Addicted Fan

Whenever I'm unhappy I stay in my room and refuse to come out...I'm never near the fridge he he

But um about your question, we were watching a health movie in class bout a guy proving that Mc Donalds makes people gain lotz of weight and he went on a McDonalds ONLY diet for a month and he gained like 30 pounds during that period and afterwards it took him about 7 months till he lost one third of it. so i guess your body gains quicker than it looses... u should just keep your excercise schedual up and pretty soon it'll catch up w/you
Old 12-07-2004, 08:44 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
I haven't lost any weight yet. Should I be worried, or is this normal?
Yeah it is... think that the faster you lose weight the faster you'll take it back Dont overdo the workout, cardio and fitness are good to get fit and slim, if you do bodybuilding you'll get bigger (with muscles) so dont over eat protein (red meat ).
Old 12-07-2004, 01:07 PM
Master Fan

I agree with Ambular. If your aim is to lose weight you have to, basically, cut on food. A lot.
I've been dieting for ages and my father has been on a diet since I can remember, because he tends to gain weight a lot. So here's what I've learned about losing weight:

Say goodbye to sugar, soda, chocolate, alcohol and sweets.
Eat as many vegetables as you like, as long as they're steamed/boiled/grilled.
Don't eat too much fruit with a high content in sugar.
Eat carbos in moderate quantities, and when you want to have pasta/rice, take smaller portions than you would usually take.
Use as little fat as you can for dressing, but keep in mind that a spoon of olive oil is better than butter or sauces.
Eat proteins in regular portions, but again only boiled/grilled stuff.
Avoid red meat if you can, and eggs only twice a week.
Fish is very good for your health.
Drink skimmed milk, so you'll get your calcium and no fat.
Drink at least 2 liters of water every day.

Following these rules you'll eat about 1000 Kcals a day.
A month or so of this, and I guarantee you'll lose pounds. I did it last summer and I lost 5 kilos in a month!

That said, I think it's a great thing that you're exercising. It'll make you look better, feel healthier and it will help you through the diet.
Keep on the great work, and if you have any question feel free to PM me

Photographs
Blog
ALittaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 04:39 PM
Absolute Fan

Taking my question over here...

Okay, I'm 135lbs and I want to get down to 115-120lbs. I had lost twelve pounds over the summer with diet/exercise, but I gained most of it back this fall. And I just don't have that kind of discipline anymore. I pretty much want to take the easy way out, so to speak.

Has anybody here experienced with TrimSpa? How much is it, and what's it all about? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

I just can't believe you're leaving over three words I couldn't say last night.
*Sweetie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 06:21 PM
New Fan

I actually lost quite a lot of weight because of problems in my life... I desperately want to gain some weight (not because I'm too thin but because I like myself being a bit chubbier and I know that I'll feel better about myself then ) but I don't know how...

Any ideas are welcome.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:30 AM
Master Fan

I'm going to start training hard, so I'll be ready for the fire fighting academy, I want to try to get my self to go to the gym at least 4 times a week, or more....... I think I can do it....
I want to get down to 175 or so, so I need to loose about 15 or so pounds and gain back 5 pounds of muscle... Going to also try to eat better..
capesidefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 01:12 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by *Sweetie*
Taking my question over here...

Okay, I'm 135lbs and I want to get down to 115-120lbs. I had lost twelve pounds over the summer with diet/exercise, but I gained most of it back this fall. And I just don't have that kind of discipline anymore. I pretty much want to take the easy way out, so to speak.
I'm sorry, but there's no way of losing weight without diet. You can take all the stuff you want, but in the end you'll have to cut on the food. And exercising will prevent your body from turning all floppy when you lose weight.

Trust me, as I said before my father has been on a diet since I was born and even before that. I've seen all kinds of diet and drugs that people take to lose fat.
The only way? Eat less and exercise more.
And if you really want to lose weight, you'll find the discipline again.

Photographs
Blog
ALittaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 08:37 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ALittaM
I'm sorry, but there's no way of losing weight without diet. You can take all the stuff you want, but in the end you'll have to cut on the food. And exercising will prevent your body from turning all floppy when you lose weight.

Trust me, as I said before my father has been on a diet since I was born and even before that. I've seen all kinds of diet and drugs that people take to lose fat.
The only way? Eat less and exercise more.
And if you really want to lose weight, you'll find the discipline again.
I would definitely cut back on food, or make healthier choices anyway, but I want to lose the weight faster than last time. During the summer it took me almost three months to lose ten pounds. I'm just wondering if TrimSpa really works, and if it will speed up the weight losing process.

I just can't believe you're leaving over three words I couldn't say last night.

Last edited by *Sweetie*; 12-09-2004 at 03:57 AM
*Sweetie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 03:36 AM
Addicted Fan

We learnt in medical science that a change in weight depends on your intake of kilojoules (or calories) and your use of these kilojoules. If you use more than you eat, your body will use your fat stores to supply your body with energy, and eventually you will lose weight. If you eat more kilojoules than you use, then your body stores these away for later use. and you gain body fat

To lose weight, you theoretically want to take in fewer kilojoules than you use, so eat less fat, and get more exercise. Fat contains many more kilojoules than carbohydrates.

I would not count on these special diet plans working, because you should be able to cut fat and also eat normal food, which can help to ensure you are also getting the minierals and vitamins needed to be healthy.

Exercise may cause you to gain weight, because muscle is more dense than fat tissue. However, this muscle will burn energy during activity, and this causes more kilojoules to be used everyday, and thus helps to reduce the amount of fat tissue. If you want to lose weight, focusing on cardiovascular exercise is best, but also doing some weight training will help a lot.
Reply   Post New Thread