Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 12:48 PM
Obsessed Fan

I'm such a dork.

I was applying for a job as a junior receptionist with a chain coffee company. In my cover letter after crapping on about my typing speed and accomplishments in High School I admitted I had next to no experience with receptionism (and no, I did not use that word in it. Even though it's not a word, it should be.) but told them that I was bright, bubbly and that it couldn't hurt I was a big fan (addict) of coffee and did a winky smiley face.

...lets hope the boss is a little bit quirky.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:07 PM
Moderator Support Team

So creative and unprofessional.....

It's ok, Freya. Dorks are adorable.

You don't have to exactly have receptionist skills sometimes to get a receptionist job. You can sell yourself in terms of the transferable skills you acquired from high school activities, volunteer work and previous work experience. Stuff like experience working with customers (even if it's not an office position) or any accomplishments that relate to you being initiative, organized, or have good communication skills, anything that fits into what they are looking for in a receptionist besides actual receptionist experience. You can even say you are interested in pursuing a career in the retail/distribution industry and that was why you were interested in their company. If don't get this job, use this strategy next time when you apply for another.

But one thing I think you did do well in your cover letter was showing your enthusiasm to work for them. Even if it included a winky smiley face.

Good luck, Freya! It was a good start.

Last edited by quarterley; 08-09-2004 at 03:46 PM
Quarterley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 03:40 PM
Master Fan

Yeah, sometimes they'll look at some of your other assets such as your personality and skills in communication and interaction with the public. It's good to be professional, but sometimes, it's also good to be creative and put together a resume that will catch the employer's attention...
Charlize'sAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 09:19 PM
Passionate Fan

maybe you should slip him a hundred
Old 08-09-2004, 09:59 PM
Obsessed Fan

Hey that is sweet dorky I'm sure it will make someone smile.

I am sure you maybe don't need experience, I meanmost train you up and it is pretty basic stuff and dealing with people again which you are used to so if the boss has any sense he'd hire you - I'd hire you
Old 08-11-2004, 12:13 PM
Obsessed Fan

Awww. Thanks Jenny. I miss you. Stupid work! I'll email you soon (promise!)
Old 08-11-2004, 06:46 PM
Total Fan

if it were up to me id hire you just cuz of the winky smiley

that is beautiful