Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 02:02 AM
Loyal Fan

I hate my job..well, every one I've ever had!

Who else here can say that? I started working when I was 17 and am now 31.
I have worked at 4 restaurants, as a sewing machine operator, as a production worker in a cosmetics warehouse, and as a cashier at a grocery store. I never
went to college, except for when I tried to 3 months at a business college. I
never had any ambition, didn't know what career I wanted. Now, I'm stuck
with jobs and crappy pay because no one will hire me for something
that pays well, if I don't have experience.
What advice would you give someone like me BESIDES going back to college?
I know that will be the first response, but I am unable to do that at this time,
due to financial problems/transportation problems. I would go if I knew what
I was going FOR.
Life sucks when you're poor and I'm sick of it! Please help!

Last edited by jenefur; 06-01-2005 at 02:04 AM Reason: error
jenefur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:09 AM
Obsessed Fan

Marry someone rich. You seem to have a list in your av already there.

Til further notice
I'm in between
From where I'm standing
My grass is green
Princess Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 06:41 AM
Elite Fan

It's not easy living a life that isn't making you happy.--I've been through some rocky times with difficult jobs and difficult finances, too. It's painful making changes but it's excruciating staying unhappy.

1. Try changing your attitude about your job--if you go in believing that you're gonna do your best and looking for the positive no matter what, it can help make the job easier and the experience more pleasant.

2. Examine your finances very carefully and look for any place that you could be saving money instead of spending it--even small things like taking a sandwich to work instead of going to McD's could save money that you can use to go back to school.

3. Find out if your town has free job counseling so that you've got a better idea of what you want to do.

4. Find out about adult education classes that local schools give at night--these cost little or nothing and they can help get you started on a new life.

5. Attend meetings of a variety of free clubs in your area--book discussion groups, computer discussion groups, history club, gardening club, whatever takes your fancy. You will get more information on subjects that you like and you'll figure out what you don't like. Plus you will meet new friends who can help you move forward to the future.

The main thing is not to be discouraged--there is a better life for you out there in the future but you have to stretch yourself so that you can reach forward to it.

Yes, this will take time, but you need to ask yourself where you want to be in five years and where you will be if you don't try.

Good luck with this.

Visit Picture Confessions #2...it's all about secrets!
Lemurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 06:48 AM
Loyal Fan

Try retail. If you've never worked retail before you will probably have to start at part time. But it is so easy to work your way up if you have the right skill set, work ethic, and personality! This is a job that is different day to day so you have to be a very flexible person who is open to change. Since so much of the job is dealing with the public, great people skills are a must. Retail can open so many doors for you if you are willing to put in the hard work. You can usually earn a promotion after a year or two, and depending how dedicated you are to your job you can expect a promotion approximately every three years.
I speak from personal experience. When I started working retail I had just dropped out of high school ( don't worry I got my diploma a few years later) and within a year I became the manager for a childrens clothing boutique. The great part is, the job is so flexible that I can go to college and have a well paying full time job while figuring out just what I want to do with the rest of my life. I know you didn't want to hear "go back to school" but eventually you might want to and with retail you can fit school in your schedule if you choose to and if the time is right for you.
Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:17 AM
Moderator Support Team

It's not healthy to hate your job. Even if you only have so many career choices right now due to education/experience, find another job that you at least don't hate. You may not looooove it, but at least not hate it this much. With your experience so far, you should be able to find a better retail job or something in services or manufacturing. After you changed your job (even if the wages are still kinda crappy), start considering what kind of career would be suitable for you and gradually do something to make the change. You don't need to quit working and just go back to college since you do need the money. But build on it gradually, taking a night course or an online course one at a time. Do some research on what you kind of experience or education you may need to pursue the career of your choice. When you are ready financially to go back to college, then go. That doesn't mean straight out of college, you will definitely get a job in 2 weeks. It'd probably still take some time after that. But at least you'd get your bases covered in terms of the education for the career you want.
Quarterley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 10:36 AM
Extreme Fan

I would find a careers advice place or somewhere that can go through all your options. Or search which jobs you can do online.

Every now and then I fall apart
Elegantly Wasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread