Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 11:25 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Off Topic

I find myself shopping at Wal-Mart a lot...

I used to just go to Wal-Mart to buy everyday essentials like shampoo and facial cleansers and chapstick and the like cuz it's cheaper there. Then, I started buying more stuff there cuz it's cheaper. Like CDs, DVDs, magazines, blank videotapes, cookies, juice, microwavable dinners, storage boxes, stationery.....then I realized they also got jumbo packages for these things which made them even cheaper. And then there are times when they'd do stuff like tape a package of facial mask on the facial cleanser bottle with no extra charge. I think I only not get clothes from there.

Lately, I realized some stuff they got are very presentable gifts at low prices, like gift baskets and toys. Yeah, I've become part of the Wal-Mart crowd. Next, I would like to buy some hangers.

I like the Super Wal-Marts in the States where they also serve hot entrees.... Yeah, if they ever have some VIP Discount Card that reduces prices even more, I am soooo gonna get it.
Quarterley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:35 PM
Obsessed Fan

The only thing I don't like about Wal-mart is that it takes away from small local businesses. I know of quite a few small businesses here that have been closed down as a result of not being able to compete with Wal-mart's low prices

One local photoshop, which had been open for 15+ years was put out of business by Wal-mart and when they closed, they bitterly put up a sign that read "Closed for good. Go to Wal-mart like everyone else!"

I can understand their frustration. You can't compete with their low prices for fairly good quality products. I'm guilty of shopping for a lot there, myself, because the prices are good. Though, I really need to start shopping at more local stores and support local businesses.

Now I know what you all are thinking, "Josh bought the Usher CD and all of the sudden he thinks he's in Night at the Roxbury"... close but not true. - Josh Partington
*Juli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:44 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Off Topic

Some stuff, I still shop at local stores, cuz it's just different...more one of a kind. Besides, sometimes the Wal-Mart line-ups get me so angry. I usually go after I have saved up a long list of stuff to buy and had to get the stuff already.

When a Wal-Mart is attached to a shopping mall, I hate how they have someone standing at the mall entrance taping your shopping bags. Like, what is that??? I always darted through when the guy wasn't looking. I don't think they got a right to tape my shopping bags.
Quarterley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Cheap shopping is fun
Old 01-11-2005, 12:38 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterley

When a Wal-Mart is attached to a shopping mall, I hate how they have someone standing at the mall entrance taping your shopping bags. Like, what is that??? I always darted through when the guy wasn't looking. I don't think they got a right to tape my shopping bags.
we did that at my old work, blame the theives who would come in with bags from the shop, and steal stuff, then try and walk back out with it.... if you seal the bag, then it is obvious when someone is walking out that they have tried to rip open the bag and steal stuff in it...
Old 01-11-2005, 01:19 AM
Passionate Fan

I am a Wal-Mart junkie. I am there at least once a week and buy just about everything there. 24 Hour Wal-Mart SuperCenter is a life saver.

I'm sitting in my room and I can see an alarm clock, air purifier, Christmas lights, two power strips, gum, notebooks, pens, printer paper, kleenex, digital camera bag...all purchased at Wal-Mart. And that's just what I can see. With my roommates combined we probably have hundreds of Wal-Mart bags in our storage closert.

I even found a nice Levi's shirt there the other day. Laugh all you want, but it's nice and it's not like you'd see it and say, "you must have gotten that at Wal-Mart." I had no idea Wal-Mart sold Levi's anyways...go figure. I also got a nice pair of winter gloves and a winter hat there.

I know Wal-Mart takes away from small businesses but I make $5.50 an hour so it's not like I can afford to pay $3.99 for a gallon of milk anyways. I doubt if all Wal-Marts shut down I'd be making more money. If I had more money I'd support the little guys but I don't so they'll have to tough it out just like I do.
mh67511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 01:24 AM
Loyal Fan

I don't really have a Wal-Mart anywhere near where i live...but I do go to Target a lot...which is basically the same thing
Old 01-11-2005, 01:24 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterley
I don't have a car, so I have to take the bus and as a result I had a few bags from other stores. I walked in and the cart lady started yelling and ranting about how she needs to sticker them if I had returns. I said I don't have any returns and she's said that I better have my receipts. Yeah, because I am going to empty out the contents and wait for you to check off each item. Good grief, I'm not so cheap that I'd steal from WAL-MART. Anyways if you noticed, Wal-Mart has more cameras hanging from the ceiling than a maximum security prison.

If uou ever walk into a Wal-Mart with another bag, hide it or just run in really fast or else they'll start whining about how they have to sticker you.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:26 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTgirl
I don't really have a Wal-Mart anywhere near where i live...but I do go to Target a lot...which is basically the same thing
Target is so much more expensive and none of the Targets around here sell groceries! Plus Target shut out the Salvation Army so I don't shop with them anymore. I love how Wal-Mart capitalized off that by matching kettle donations up to $1 million the week before Christmas. Good move on their part and I like that they are charitable like that.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:34 AM
Master Fan

Hehe, with as much junk as I buy from Walmart all the freakin' time I should own that place. Steph-mart, booya!

"What we've got here is...failure to communicate"
Galaxia21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 03:42 AM
Fan Forum Star

your not the only one
My LJ
AutumnColorsღ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:45 AM
Fan Forum Star

Never shopped there, but I would if they had them here. With the onset on the Euro, prices have almost doubled in Italy and my disposible income has almost vanished
Old 01-11-2005, 06:01 AM
Absolute Fan

I wish they ndid wal-mart over here , i keep hearing on how good it is.when i go to america my first stop is wal-mart hehe
Old 01-11-2005, 06:20 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMilkJug
Never shopped there, but I would if they had them here. With the onset on the Euro, prices have almost doubled in Italy and my disposible income has almost vanished
Oh yeah .... there's Lidl for very cheap stuff but the quality is too low... Even though I must admit that in some super-huge stores you can get very cheap stuff

Photographs
Blog
ALittaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 07:25 AM
Elite Fan

There is a huge Super-WalMart just two miles from my house. Even though I know it would be really cheap and convenient to shop there, it bothers me how WalMart shuts out other businesses by undercutting pricing, so I spend my money elsewhere.

Visit Picture Confessions #2...it's all about secrets!
Lemurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread