Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 12:21 PM
New Fan

Experiences of postgraduate studies

I'm a UK student who is 2 and a half years through a four year English degree, and I would really like to go on and do postgraduate study after I graduate, both within the UK, and perhaps later also abroad, if I can afford it. Basically this thread is to ask anyone who has done postgraduate studies to share their experiences and offer any advice they think might be useful. Thanks. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
aurora borealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 09:30 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Off Topic

I'm not sure what advice to give you.... Maybe if you asked some questions that would help.

Of course I have only been in the US, but I do have a Master's degree and am working on my PhD right now.

Just general advice would be to plan your time wisely. Slot time each evening for reading and doing work. Stick to your schedule. Set small goals, and you'll get there. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Carol
Old 02-08-2004, 10:52 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Mustang Girl:
<STRONG>I'm not sure what advice to give you.... Maybe if you asked some questions that would help.

Of course I have only been in the US, but I do have a Master's degree and am working on my PhD right now.

Just general advice would be to plan your time wisely. Slot time each evening for reading and doing work. Stick to your schedule. Set small goals, and you'll get there. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Carol</STRONG>
Thanks for your response Carol. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

My questions are:

1) After you completed your first degree, can you describe the process you had to go through to be enrolled on your postgraduate degree?

2) Did you take your PhD at the same place you took your previous degree, or did you go to a different place? Either way, what were the reasons for your decision?

3) How many years does it take to complete a PhD, and what are the minimum and maximum time spans that you can take to do a PhD in?

4) Do you know of any links to information for students coming from overseas to do postgraduate study in the US?

Thanks [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2004, 09:56 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Off Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by Aurora Borealis:
<STRONG>

Thanks for your response Carol. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

My questions are:

1) After you completed your first degree, can you describe the process you had to go through to be enrolled on your postgraduate degree?

Well, you generally have to take a test, either the MAT or the GRE and depending upon the place you want to apply to, you have to fill out all sorts of forms.

2) Did you take your PhD at the same place you took your previous degree, or did you go to a different place? Either way, what were the reasons for your decision?

My BA and MA are from the same university, but I'm getting my PhD from a different one. Typically, employers look to see that you can prove yourself at different institutions so you need to diversify and not get all degrees from the same place.

3) How many years does it take to complete a PhD, and what are the minimum and maximum time spans that you can take to do a PhD in?

I think it usually take 4-6 years. I'm not sure of the max and min time spans; it depends upon the schools, I think.

4) Do you know of any links to information for students coming from overseas to do postgraduate study in the US?

no. sorry [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Try googling or using some other search engine to find the sites.

Thanks [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]</STRONG>
Carol
Old 02-12-2004, 11:47 AM
New Fan

Thanks very much, Carol, I appreciate your help. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2004, 10:07 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Off Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by Aurora Borealis:
<STRONG>Thanks very much, Carol, I appreciate your help. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]</STRONG>

You're welcome. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]