Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Supreme Fan

Buying a car...Recommendations??

Hey ya'll...

I have a general question for all of the college students out there. I need a car by the end of this summer. What would you recommend? My main concern is safety, reliability, and saving on gas. And of course, something that won't cost a ton. I'm already going to be buying it used, but I still need something affordable. I'm looking for something around $6000-$8000.

So yeah, basically any GOOD tips for buying a car...or even BAD brands that you can warn me against. I need some first hand experiences and opinions!

"In my life, there is only one person..." - Vaughn
It Was You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 01:36 PM
Elite Fan

Can't go wrong with a Plymouth.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:36 PM
Master Fan

I'm in Australia, so i dont know how relevent this is, but I bought my car at auction and saved about $3000, just make sure you take someone who knows a bit about cars, cos you cant actually test drive the car, but you can start them up, it can be a bit risky, but you can also save enough buying it there, and still afford to get a good service done on it to pick up any probs with it...

Not sure about brands, mine's a Hyundai, which i know people say are crap, but it has served me well, get good km's to a tank of petrol, easy and cheap to repair...
Old 06-02-2005, 07:59 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by - Jen -
I'm in Australia, so i dont know how relevent this is, but I bought my car at auction and saved about $3000, just make sure you take someone who knows a bit about cars, cos you cant actually test drive the car, but you can start them up, it can be a bit risky, but you can also save enough buying it there, and still afford to get a good service done on it to pick up any probs with it...

Not sure about brands, mine's a Hyundai, which i know people say are crap, but it has served me well, get good km's to a tank of petrol, easy and cheap to repair...

Oooh, I didn't think about an auction. I remember we looked into that for a family car before. Although, yeah...my family has a long history with Hyundai's and it's not pretty. lol I guess we were just the unfortunate group that ended up with two lemons. lol

"In my life, there is only one person..." - Vaughn
It Was You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:32 PM
Obsessed Fan

I have a Honda Civic and it has been awesome for me. Good on gas, no major problems, nice car to drive, etc.

I bought it second hand. I've spent very little on repairs and I've had the car for over 3 years now. The car is really reliable

Now I know what you all are thinking, "Josh bought the Usher CD and all of the sudden he thinks he's in Night at the Roxbury"... close but not true. - Josh Partington
*Juli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 11:16 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by It Was You
Oooh, I didn't think about an auction. I remember we looked into that for a family car before. Although, yeah...my family has a long history with Hyundai's and it's not pretty. lol I guess we were just the unfortunate group that ended up with two lemons. lol
yeah, they can be lemons...

i have been real lucky with mine, had it for about 4 years, and i have only spent about $1000 on repairs and getting it serviced, and i treat it like crap, basically running it into the ground

I have also heard good things about Civics, a friend in high school had a civic, been in his family for about 8 years, had 300,000 km's on it, and still ran well...
Old 06-03-2005, 07:50 PM
Elite Fan

Whatever you buy, get a mechanic to test it out for you before you sign on the dotted line. It's worth what it will cost to get an expert's opinion if you're getting a used car.

Visit Picture Confessions #2...it's all about secrets!
Lemurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 08:12 PM
Fan Forum Star

Make sure the car is good on gas
icon: xthebesthing
*Kaylee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 08:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Off Topic

I think it will be difficult to get a car , a new one, in the price range you stated...

I love my Mustang....they really aren't that expensive, either. If you don't go all out and get the upgraded ones