Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2011, 06:22 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart packed in ice (View Post)
Well I still always assumed it was known that Joy was re-doing it. I mean, when Googling it, that is the first thing you find out.

ETA: Broadway.com | Will a Musical Adaptation of Ryan Gosling-Rachel McAdams Flick The Notebook Come to Broadway?
Video interview of Nicholas Sparks on The Early Shows @ CBS

This is quite significant.

There was never any guarantee that the musical would be headed to Broadway-- it could have died during the development process, and even if it did move forward, it might have stayed regional or gone on a tour before any chance at Broadway.

But now the author has gone public and confirmed it on national television:

Quote:
Rebecca Jarvis: The Notebook is going to Broadway now.
Nicholas Sparks: Yes.
He does say it's "still in development" but his interview suggests that they have the investors' support and funds to stage it on Broadway (without any other detour) if it's finished. That's very significant.

The next question (for me anyway) is if this means he's decided on who was going to adapt it, after Joy & Ron pitched their version in NYC a while ago, along with a couple of others, or if it's still up in the air.

When AAG on othforums said at the time that was what Joy's meeting with Sparks was about, it threw me off because I figured Joy & Ron had exclusive rights to develop the musical and, if they had to pitch it again, whether they had expired. But AAG said the rights only covered the workshop in Wilmington. Still, I suppose the odds favor Joy & Ron, since they got to test their version on stage (and they're working on revisions based on that).

And the whole thing remains a long process. Sparks sounds quite involved in the development (in the way that he is with his movies, which isn't always the case with adaptations), and in the interview, he mentions needing to work on Safe Haven and something else before they can get to the musical. So it's minimum 1-2 years away.

Last edited by scherra; 12-15-2011 at 06:35 PM
Old 12-15-2011, 07:37 PM
Master Fan

Joy's Musical is heading to Broadway I definitely see myself making a trip to NY to watch it. I'm so happy for her.

'The Notebook' musical headed to Broadway - Pop2it - Zap2it

Icon ~ Diane
Old 12-15-2011, 07:52 PM
Master Fan

Thank you so much for bringing over the article Lisa, I was just headed here to do the same. I'm so excited and pumped for her.

Quote:
Get ready to weep, theater fans: "The Notebook" is heading to Broadway in the form of a musical by "One Tree Hill" star Bethany Joy Galeotti.

Galeotti has been working on the show with her writing partner Ron Aniello for years, and the pair even staged a reading in Wilmington, North Carolina in 2009. But they got a vote of confidence from Nicholas Sparks himself, who said on "The Early Show" Dec. 14 that a musical version of his book would hit the Great White Way at some point in the future.
I die!
Tumblaaaa
Old 12-15-2011, 11:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I HAVE NO WORDS!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW. Posting the new thread. dklSNKFLANSKF

http://www.fanforum.com/f182/noteboo.../#post60241646

Old 12-15-2011, 11:14 PM
Elite Fan

yay more good news! Very exciting that it seems everything is going well with the development.

also speaking of NS I saw trailers for 'the vow' and 'the lucky one' when I was seeing a movie tonight, and ngl I'm very excited to see both.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

oops

Closed Thread   Post New Thread