Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012, 08:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Southland Episode discussion thread: Season 4, Episode 10: "Thursday"

Season 4, Episode 10

Episode Synopsis: Tang reports for her last day on patrol before moving on to another precinct in the Season 4 finale. Meanwhile, Lydia is pressed to make a decision regarding her pregnancy; Sammy recuperates from injuries; and Ben searches for the woman he's been trying to help. Original Air Date: Mar 20, 2012.

Southland Episode Guide 2012 Season 4 - Thursday, Episode 10 | TVGuide.com
By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down, yea, we wept, when we remembered Zion... They carried us away in captivity requiring of us a song... Now how shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?
-Michal- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:26 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Wonderful episode for Ben. It open the way to make Ben a totally different character in the next season as he became the cop he did not want to be. The last scene with Sammy was great!
By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down, yea, we wept, when we remembered Zion... They carried us away in captivity requiring of us a song... Now how shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?
-Michal- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Master Fan

Cooper is having new boot.
Lydia told Tyrel (or whatever his name is) that she is pregnant and he is the father of her baby.
Some of the Cooper/Tang's scenes were funny.
Ben Shermen's revenge was good.
Sammy/Ben's scenes were good.
Ben McKenzie was amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Michal- (View Post)
Wonderful episode for Ben. It open the way to make The last scene with Sammy was great!
Is Sammy gonna be Ben's partner for the next season.
I love Sammy/Ben's scene at the end. They had very great eye conversation.
Sammy have beautiful brown eyes, but i like Ben's beautiful blue eyes more.

Last edited by Didi; 03-21-2012 at 02:20 PM
Didi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks Michal
Old 03-21-2012, 02:11 PM
Elite Fan

Four words: Ben McKenzie was amazing. He has managed to make a character, who would now be regarded somewhat as a villain, sympathetic through his acting. The final scene where he puts on the sunglasses is almost creepy. His poker faces with Ferguson throughout the entire episode were so well executed. His heavy breathing and hysterics after shooting the pimp was spot on. His quivering voice when seeing Daniella off at the bus stop was heartbreaking and showed us a glimpse of the once sweet, vulnerable young man he used to be muddled in with the very troubled, dark, almost psychotic man he has become. The way he seemed so distant - it's almost as if he was having a flashback of himself when he was 10 when he looked at Daniella. Heartbreaking and raw. AWESOME!
-The Holy Qur'an [13:16]

Last edited by ~Search4Truth~; 03-21-2012 at 09:37 PM
~Search4Truth~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:12 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Michal- (View Post)
Wonderful episode for Ben. It open the way to make Ben a totally different character in the next season as he became the cop he did not want to be. The last scene with Sammy was great!
Agreed!! The last scene said so much with no words. When Ben just put head back to relax, Wow! Awesome song choice too! I love the Rolling Stones.

I am very proud of Cooper this season. I am glad for him to get a boot back at the end.
krisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:36 AM
Absolute Fan

Sherman! When you compare his character from now and the pilot it's heartbreaking how much his character has changed. From "Taking a life is a big deal to me okay?" To wanting to kill and ended up shooting a pimp and planting a gun on him to cover his ass.

Ben Mckenzie is such an underrated, outstanding actor who deserves all the awards.

This show is just so good, hope there will be a 5th season.

ETA: oops, I read a couple of posts on IMDb and I found out Ronnie's gun is different from one of the guns Ben was cleaning at the beginning. Though they looked very similar.

Last edited by ant31; 03-24-2012 at 06:06 AM
ant31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:44 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant31 (View Post)
ETA: oops, I read a couple of posts on IMDb and I found out Ronnie's gun is different from one of the guns Ben was cleaning at the beginning. Though they looked very similar.
This doesn't mean Ben didn't plant the gun. I think the storyline/writers wanted to leave things ambiguous for us. Sherman is guilty of something, that's for sure. It could have been that he planted the gun or it might not be, but he's internally conflicted, which IMO makes it so interesting. I think part of it is that even if pulling the trigger this time was in self-defence he A) enjoyed it, and B) wanted to murder Ronnie - and this scares Ben. But he's beginning to eerily accept that he's essentially becoming the person who he'd hoped he'd never become.

I don't think he's a terrible person though. Just a tormented, troubled man who didn't know how to make it right or control his emotions (mainly anger).

Quote:
Ben Mckenzie is such an underrated, outstanding actor who deserves all the awards.
Yeah, too bad it's probably only the other actors on the show who will get this sort of recognition. But yes, underrated and great indeed = Mr. McKenzie.

Last edited by ~Search4Truth~; 03-24-2012 at 07:33 AM
Old 03-26-2012, 09:03 AM
Elite Fan

Shermy Shermy Shermy.... where do I start...

I know I'm super late on everything. But, I pretty much agree with everyone in that it was an awesome episode for our boy Shermy. He's lost it! And we seem to all love that!

Last scene... epic. I hope Ben finally gets the recognition he deserves, what else does this man have to do?!

Rest now, Bowie
AlyssaHP88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyssaHP88 (View Post)
Last scene... epic. I hope Ben finally gets the recognition he deserves, what else does this man have to do?!
Sadly it seems that some of the other actors on the show don't have to do much (it can be just one small scene) and they get people screaming for them to get Emmy's. I'm not trying to take anything away from any of them. I think they are all great, but I think it seems a bit unfair that when Ben gives epic performances, I don't see reviews saying that he deserves an Emmy... and I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that people can't get over that A) He's the youngest cast member, and B) Was on The OC (apparently to many of them that's a bad thing...)...

I mean, I've even seen a review where someone said Lucy Liu deserves an Emmy but they didn't mention Ben. I think she did well as Tang, but I also still think she's very wooden in certain scenes. For example, she showed absolutely no expression in the scene where Dewey was talking to her and giving her advice a few episodes back and it wasn't a scene where I felt she was supposed to have a poker face up, and there was not one part of her entire performance in S4 that I would consider Emmy worthy. It was pretty good. That's how I would describe her performance.

The "Dreaming Between the Lines" review is probably the best I've seen for Ben. Most of the time, I just see backhanded compliments like, "He's come a long way since The OC" or "I didn't think I would like him in this role, but he proved me wrong." For me, that's not a huge compliment compared to what the other actors usually get in those reviews. But maybe I'm just so passionate about Ben's career that this is why I see it this way.

Still, I think Ben McKenzie does deserve major awards for his acting on Southland, but unfortunately I'm not part of the committee that determines that.

But Sherman is in my opinion BY FAR the most complicated character on the show and I think because of how unpredictable he is, he'd be the most difficult to portray and his character by far evolved the most. Cooper is a rather consistent character IMO and so is Lydia and Sammy. They go through things, but they don't change. Who they are remains the same. Ben Sherman is simply not the same person (IMO) that he was when the show first started and McKenzie has been so convincing in showing us this change, and I think that's something that as an actor is very hard to do.

Last edited by ~Search4Truth~; 03-26-2012 at 10:41 AM
Old 03-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanBabe (View Post)
Still, I think Ben McKenzie does deserve major awards for his acting on Southland, but unfortunately I'm not part of the committee that determines that.

Where do we apply to have that job? Can you imagine all the awards Ben would stack up if we were on that committee

We'd give him awards for the most ridiculous things

Rest now, Bowie
AlyssaHP88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread