Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Mid-Season TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2012, 04:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Southland Episode discussion thread: Season 4, Episode 01: "Wednesday"

Southland Episode: "Wednesday"

Season 4, Episode 1

Episode Synopsis: Season 4 opens with John returning to work after recuperating from back surgery and meeting his no-nonsense new partner, Jessica Tang (Lucy Liu). Elsewhere, Lydia also gets a new partner; an armed man is pursued into an elementary school; and Ben tangles with a cynical street cop. Original Air Date: Jan 17, 2012
Guest Cast Dorian Missick: Ruben Robinson Lou Diamond Phillips.

Southland Episode Guide 2012 Season 4 - Wednesday, Episode 1 | TVGuide.com
By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down, yea, we wept, when we remembered Zion... They carried us away in captivity requiring of us a song... Now how shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?
-Michal- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:52 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
The O.C.

My thoughts:

-Love love love the dynamic between Ben and Sammy. They feel like buddies, and I love the banter. The chemistry between Ben and Shawn feels so natural.

-Ben had some awesome lines! And considering he already says so much without talking, now it's like double the awesome acting. I love that now he's getting awesome dialogue too. "My Uncle Sig gets more action than that an he's on dialysis."

-"Let's go, baby!" LOVE the way he said that - cocking his gun.

-"Yeah, well hopefully by then you'll be working security at Rite Aid so..."

-Loved the scene where Sammy says, "I almost shot you in the head."

-Loved the mom in that scene with Cooper and Tang. "It's going to take Jesus and two more white folks to keep me from kicking your ass!"

-Ben is amazing in action and chase scenes. He's so athletic, and I love the intense look on his face when he was in the backyard in that rugged LA neighborhood when chasing down the sexual assaulter.

-Loved Ben vs Ferguson. What tension! I love how Ben is still noble and idealistic, yet we can still see his flaws bubbling underneath. It makes him such a complex character.

-I laughed so hard when Ferguson called Ben "Dhali Lama with a gun"

-Wow, what tension between Ben and Cooper! Ben's face showed a mixture of hurt, sadness, and disappointment. Sammy was funny though. "I almost teared up watching that reunion."

-Lydia's storyline was sad, but Regina King is an amazinig actress.

-LOVED when Ben was helping that guy who was bleeding out. It really shows a lot about who he is as a person.

-Love the tension in the lockeroom. I can't believe Ferguson slammed Ben against a mirror and broke it!

-During the shoot out at the police station, I loved how Ben had Sammy's back. "Hey Bryant, Bryant are you alright?" And when they were outside and Sammy was puking, he again asked him if he's okay and Sammy asked him if he's okay. Then Sammy confesses that he pissed his pants, and Ben admits that he did too.

-The tape with Tang is heartbreaking.

-"I guess she finally got to see the ocean." Poor Lydia.

-As for the shallow... Ben's hair was AWESOME and he looked good, though I could see some bags under his eyes in some scenes. He looks fairly thin to me. I think he's lost weight. Sammy actually looked good without his shirt on. I admit I'm not a fan of Cooper's body though.

So those are my thoughts.

Ben McKenzie /Paul Wesley
X-Men
Thanks dreaming_art for my Hugh Jackman icon!
ManhattanBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:30 AM
Supreme Fan

Awesome episode!! Just when you think things are going to be quiet and settle down when Ben and Sammy are in the station, wow!!! I was not expecting that scene.

I agree TC. I was not sure if I would like the Sammy/Ben partners idea, but they were a lot of fun together!! I love John and Ben together, but these 2 are just as great! Their banter was hysterical.

Aww, the Ben and John scene. Poor guys. I am sure they will make up at some point this season. I do admire Ben's loyalty to John.

So many wonderful lines in this episode!!! Lots of quotes to remember!
-Ben's "Let's go Baby!" Loved that line!!
-TC you did recall a lot of the great lines in your summary. They had me LOL again.

The Mom was pretty funny in front of Cooper and Tang. LOl. I am enjoying these two paired together. All she wanted to do was go get her lunch. Wow, and that video of her beating, so sad! If John ever sees that guy he will surely give him a beating like that.

The Ben and Ferguson relationship was interesting to see. I am curious as to how their relationship will develop throughout the season. I was shocked to see Ben being pushed like that and to have broken that mirror. Very intense!!

Looking forward to watching this episode again!

And Ben in the black tee and jeans, YUM!! He looked fantastic!!
krisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:08 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
The O.C.

Quote:
Aww, the Ben and John scene. Poor guys. I am sure they will make up at some point this season. I do admire Ben's loyalty to John.
I agree with you. I think eventually they will work it out. I admit that so far I prefer Ben and Sammy to Ben and John actually. It's nice to finally see Ben in a more peer to peer relationship, and he's really shining. Love his arrogance too actually because you still see his vulnerability underneath.

As for Ben and John's encounter, I was surprised to see in a few Southland reviews that some people think Ben owes him and is being disrespectful. I don't think Ben owes him aything. I wasn't surprised that Ben would feel hurt, disappointed, or even a little bit angry still. John put him through a lot the previous season and it even lead to Ben being in a life threatening situation. Ben stayed quiet about his drug problem and what happened, and helped him make the first step to rehab. If anything, I think it would be the other way around. Without Ben, John probably would have lost his job for good. Ben's a huge part of the reason he's still on the force so even when joking, comments like "Well I guess they have lowered their standards" would definitely irritate Ben I think. He's not a boot anymore, and after what he's done for Cooper, I don't think he should be treated like one. He should be treated like a P2. Cooper is not his trainig officer anymore so it's not up to him to "bust his balls" so-to-speak. At this point, I think he should be acting more like a friend. I know that deep down he probably wants to and will eventually since it's probably a defense mechanism to cover up his embarrassment (it's not easy when someone ranked lower than you saves your ass), but so far I still really prefer how Sammy interacts with Ben.

X-Men

Last edited by ManhattanBabe; 01-18-2012 at 09:25 AM
Old 01-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Obsessed Fan

Loved it!

There were some pretty intense scenes.

- Ben running into the yard full thugs with pistols, ready to start shooting at them.

- The police station shoot out, I was not expecting that at all.

I loved Ben in this episode. And I kinda wish he hit Ferguson in the face.

Other thoughts:

- The tape of Tang was very hard to watch, it was horrible. And I can't believe Dewey was being such a massive douche about it,=.

- I love when Ben checked out the two chicks who walked passed him at the beginning of the episode, made me laugh.

- Loved Ben/Sammy. I like how they seem to be friends. And how they make fun of each other like friends would. It was really nice to see considering the way Cooper treated Ben in the first 2 seasons.

Kris & TC pretty much covered everything else.

Can't wait for next week.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Great episode! Ben was SUPER hot with and without the uniform!He had some great one liners and I loved his new partnership with Sammy. They have great chemistry together and its seems like they formed a great friendship too. I also loved seeing Sammy shirtless and I think he has a cute butt

Ben and Cooper's scene was awkward. Ben did not forgive him yet.

I don't like Lydia's new partner. I'm not sure why. I think its because I loved her old partner so much and this one don't come even close to the awesomness that was Josie.

I really loved lucy liu's character, the Cooper/Tang scene right by the end of the episode is very powerful.
By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down, yea, we wept, when we remembered Zion... They carried us away in captivity requiring of us a song... Now how shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?
-Michal- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I really loved lucy liu's character, the Cooper/Tang scene right by the end of the episode is very powerful.
_______
Me too. She was great and she wanted to get to the food wagon all the time
Old 01-18-2012, 04:24 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
The O.C.

I'm undecided on Lucy's character. I have to see more episodes. I thought her last scene was sad, but before that I wasn't feeling her personality.

X-Men
Old 01-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Supreme Fan

I am rewatching again now.

I agree, Ant, Ben checking the girls out is very cute!

I am undecided on Tang too.

I miss Josie too. Lydia's new partner was rather boring.
krisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:08 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
I'm undecided on Lucy's character. I have to see more episodes. I thought her last scene was sad, but before that I wasn't feeling her personality.
Me too.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Maybe we will get to see more of her character soon

Quote:
awesomness that was Josie.
Josie

I just hope that Lydia´s new partner isn´t like her first one!
Reply   Post New Thread