Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2018, 08:38 AM
Master Fan

I think she felt pressured into committing to yet another season, given the open ending, no?
X-files, epi #5-04, 'Detour'.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:16 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiamay (View Post)
Haha, watching the gag reel.
So one of Gillian's sons sat in front, the other one behind them and David's daughter was in the last episode too...
Am really enjoying all the swearing

ETA Also watched the interview "Conversation on the Fox Lot" and even though it felt like Gillian kinda wanted the show to end differently they both seemed to be okay with it
I wonder what else had happened for Gillian to be so annoyed about it later on.
That confuses me a bit as well because she seems so mad on Twitter, even though season 11 didn’t do anything that different to season 10? All I can think is that yes it was probably related to the cliffhanger in some way, maybe she felt letdown that CC wasn’t giving the fans closure, even though it seemed like she felt pressured into returning for another season precisely because of how open-ended season 10 was. I don’t think that season 11 was a cliffhanger in the same way exactly though, so it bothered me a lot less, season 10’s ending really was frustrating at the time though!

Either that, or maybe the William retcon was what really upset her? She put a lot of work into those scenes of her breaking down over William, so it might have been frustrating at how quickly it all got brushed off at the end. I don’t think she’s ever really clarified what she isn’t happy with though
Old 12-13-2018, 09:27 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Hmmm... I actually thought it felt like an ending and not necessarily a cliffhanger.
Like David said, an unusually hopeful one
William not dead, still possibly the solution to mankind's problems, CSM hopefully dead, Mulder and Scully together... the pregnancy was maybe a bit much but the shipper in me thoroughly enjoyed it

I agree the connection between William and Scully was really built up and felt like it was left hanging in the air...

avi by neel luvs tony
Old 12-13-2018, 10:22 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah I didn’t hate it either, it felt a bit abrupt , but it seemed like CC was trying to give the M/S fans a nice ending in a way. Everyone online was super negative though, so maybe that also affected how Gillian saw it afterward? I remember on Twitter she responded with a Scully eye rolling giif and said boy does she hear their complaints, so, I assume her negative feelings towards the revival do revolve around how they concluded it in some way. Maybe she thought that Scully getting pregnant at her age was too unrealistic, maybe she felt let down at the William conclusion after putting her heart and soul into those scenes of Scully breaking down over her loss?

Revealing that CSM was the father was what really upset everyone I think, I was expecting that to be just a twist, but instead the finale doubles down on it and has Scully dismiss William as never really her son, that was what upset me about the finale the most. I didn’t mind the pregnancy though, but a lot of fans thought that was stupid and they were too old for a a new baby
Old 12-13-2018, 12:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It's believable she has alien DNA but not that she can get pregnant?
I'm with you on her dismissing William too quickly but I actually felt like she was trying to make it their loss instead of Mulder having to suffer alone. And also it might have been a way of emotionally distancing herself from the loss...

CSM as the father... yeah, I never expected that to stick... disgusting twist
More soap opera than XF

avi by neel luvs tony
Old 12-13-2018, 01:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiamay (View Post)
It's believable she has alien DNA but not that she can get pregnant?
Yeah I kinda thought that too, some people really argued about the realism of someone in their 50’s getting pregnant and got pretty mad about it, but it was portrayed as a sort of miracle the first time after Scully believed that she couldn’t have children, so it’s not like very unexpected pregnancies are so shocking for this show

Quote:
I'm with you on her dismissing William too quickly but I actually felt like she was trying to make it their loss instead of Mulder having to suffer alone. And also it might have been a way of emotionally distancing herself from the loss...
Oh that does make sense actually, Scully emotionally distancing herself from the loss is very typical of her character. I guess I just wish they had spend more time on it, it felt very jarring to not spend the proper amount of time on Scully and Mulder having to take in the reveal that CSM was the biological father. I hate how much the mythology episodes in the revival rush through everything, we never do get a proper reaction to Scully being told the truth

Quote:
CSM as the father... yeah, I never expected that to stick... disgusting twist
More soap opera than XF
Yeah I don’t know what CC was thinking there, especially after how much story they had build around William being Mulder and Scully’s baby
Old 12-13-2018, 02:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

True. Quiet a let-down. Guess he's proud of his ability to still surprise us after all these years

And it feels like we're missing out on a few things due to shorter seasons. Not a fan of that

avi by neel luvs tony
Old 12-13-2018, 03:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think CC just didn’t have a clue how to go about writing shorter seasons quite honestly, it’s very different from the old 22 episode style, and for the revival he seemed to think it was acceptable to just cram every idea he had in to a single episode. He just puts in these major reveals like Monica working for CSM, or Scully finding out that CSM is William’s father, and there’s no time to deal with the emotional reality of it before the story rushes you along to the next action moment
Old 12-13-2018, 07:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, that’s the thing that’s been like that with the X-Files, even in the earlier seasons. Big events happen to Mulder and Scully and the emotional fallout is never seen so we wonder if they even went through one! This is where fanfiction is so useful for me cause it gives that side of it and those writers are sometimes fantastic with where they took the storylines off camera! For example, Scully finding out she had a daughter without her consent and then the child dies. She didn’t seem overly affected and the episodes afterwards never quite touched on what it could do to someone’s mind/emotions.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:07 AM
Fan Forum Hero

But I also like that some aspects of Mulder and Scully's lives seemed personal and off limits in a way. That made the personal moments that were shared with us even more special

avi by neel luvs tony
Old 12-14-2018, 10:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by beloved of the sky (View Post)
Yeah, that’s the thing that’s been like that with the X-Files, even in the earlier seasons. Big events happen to Mulder and Scully and the emotional fallout is never seen so we wonder if they even went through one! This is where fanfiction is so useful for me cause it gives that side of it and those writers are sometimes fantastic with where they took the storylines off camera! For example, Scully finding out she had a daughter without her consent and then the child dies. She didn’t seem overly affected and the episodes afterwards never quite touched on what it could do to someone’s mind/emotions.
I remember that bugging me at the time actually, it was so weird how they actually gave Scully a daughter who dies tragically, and then Emily is just never mentioned again after that. It came up once in All Souls, and that was it I think?
Old 12-16-2018, 03:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think so, after All Souls, I don’t remember them mentioning Emily again!
Old 12-16-2018, 04:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I wouldn’t be surprised
Old 12-17-2018, 07:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

THE BEST GENRE TV EPISODES OF 2018

Quote:
The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat,' The X-Files

It unfurls like a deliciously bonkers B-movie fever dream as Mulder and Scully explore the false memory phenomenon of The Mandela Effect… sorry, I mean The Mengele Effect. Perfectly paralleling '50s era paranoia with the weirdness of current times, the episode mocks Mulder's entire conspiracy theory existence by bringing in a guy named Reggie (Brian Huskey), who is adamant that he's the duo's third partner they've forgotten. It's a laugh-out-loud funny installment with stellar comedic work by Duchovny and Anderson. — Tara Bennett
Old 12-18-2018, 09:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Absolutely
deliciously bonkers... I like that

avi by neel luvs tony