Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2018, 11:08 PM
New Fan

So far 6 eps in s6 doesn't appear to have any marked decline, not when we now that a decline generally did happen towards the later seasons. It just doesn't seem the same compared to the innocence of s1 and 2. A lot of it is tongue in cheek but also self-deprecated. However, there is a feel of the show knowing it has no competition at this point. 18m viewers per week is presumably still v good in the US snd the popularity was still at its height. There is a huge confidence but i need to see where i can find that confidence lost in later eps or seasons to identify the turning point to the decline. Possibly losing Duchovny is the most obvious reason but also writing out the Syndicate left them with a hole in the mythology maybe?
Andy Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:49 PM
Space Traveler

Moderator of ...
The X-Files

The only thing I heard fans were fussy about it was not only did the location change to CA, but a few of the episodes in a row were more comedic than serious.

And a big part of the decline was DD leaving because to me, the whole show was about both Mulder and Scully with their dynamic together working together as a team. They were non replaceable without the other to play off of!

The mythology is all over the place.

I was always more into the stand alone MOTW episodes.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:22 PM
New Fan

The mythology is laughable sometimes and you lose the will to find it believable. They ran out of ideas with it. All the poor dialogue in the Syndicate room got very tefious by s5. The well manicured man was a very intriguing character and seriously should not have been killed off. A waste just like mr x and deep throat.

Motw eps are still fresh by this stage in s6. Just watched Terms of Endearment

Quality ep. Good twist. Brave plotline.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:56 PM
New Fan

Just watched SR819, Tithonus, Two Fathers/One Son

SR819
Liked this at the time but almost looks like its filmed/written out of sync as its not mentioned in Krycek's next appearance in 2 episodes time. Its obvious every time you see the long haired man that its Krycek, but the idea and concept are actually good, you get the feeling old Walter wanted his own episodes at least once a series which he seemed to get, but again its just another quality episode they were churning out at this point. M&S are vital to its resolution even though they are largely on the periphery. A good twist that its going to recur in future episodes but as i said it seems a little bit of a wasted opportunity not to mention it in Two Fathers. 7/10

Tithonus
This a class. A quality episode with twists and turns and originality. Love the bit when the pimp says 'its not my gun red' to which Scully just back hands him. They really are trying to discredit M&S, trying any tactics but they keep coming through and their relationship though struggling by the end of s5 is now starting to grow again. This is proved in the next eps when Mulder chooses to go with Scully over Dirty Diana. Scully makes being shot look sexy. Love the gradual realisation that this guy is over 100 years old and when the cop rings Mulder he just says simply 'dont try to do the math.....' this is a classic x file. Suddenly the boot is back on the other foot as they have solved yet another case while split and have grown stronger as a result. 10/10

Two Fathers / One Son
I've chosen to do these together. Might be controversial but the series could have ended here. All the main characters are around (apart actually from Two Mothers funnily enough.......) and it was really brave to bring the Syndicate arc to a final end. I think 'killing off' Chris Owens was ultimately a mistake as the actor and character still had a lot to offer. Could have been useful in s8 and 9. This story is great though. Watching every episode since Pilot up to this point as i have done as a binge since s11 finished, i now see how important this storyline was. It really was the end of everything that Deep Throat and Mr X had been involved in. Mulder finally learned the truth about the conspiracy, about the black oil, the abductions, the rebel aliens (which i believe were a good plot addition). Brave to reveal Cancer Mans name. Yet he gets away and lives to fight another battle. Kirsch almost apologising to Mulder, Skinner standing firm that this did happen and there's no ignoring Mulder's evidence. Krycek is at his brilliant best in episode, one step behind CSM yet one ahead of Jeffrey. He was always an anti-hero for me as you felt he could be one of the good guys but you never forget how he murdered Mulders father. Great Marita make up as well. Like i said it could have all ended here.

10/10 benefits massively from watching the previous 100+ episodes in quick succesion.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:20 PM
Space Traveler

Moderator of ...
The X-Files

I like Tithonus! It was an intriguing mystery! Wasn’t expecting Scully to get shot

Also was funny, when she slapped that guy for mouthing off She didn’t even look down at him when she did it!
Reply   Post New Thread