Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2018, 02:46 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It would have been a decent end if they ended it here although I wouldn’t have liked it with Mulder permanently abducted. But, then it could have been resolved altogether in a second movie, in my opinion!
Old 08-12-2018, 05:21 AM
Part-Time Fan

I'll see you on the s8 thread

I've enjoyed this season as it was honestly like watching new X Files. I had a vague memory of these episodes with no idea how they resolved but a definite feeling of dropping standards

Like I have said on previous posts, it's difficult to see where this changed. The CSM episodes weren't as good or be more accurate I don't think he was. Too much had been revealed about him to make him vallainous. He ended the season and basically his regular time on the show very vulnerable, which made his final comeback in s9 feeling as though he was indestructible.

He's not, he is also not a nice man and shouldn't be portrayed as such. The more villainous the better.

Top 5

1. Requiem
2. Hungry
3. Theef
4. Signs and Wonders
5. Amor Fati

Worst

First Person Shooter

Special mentions to

The Amazing Maleeni
Rush
The Goldberg Variation
Closure

I liked s7 but not as much as the others. Scully became quite vulnerable but grew in strength in other ways. The series is actually more about her if you think about it. Lots of episodes seen from her viewpoint especially the pilot.

There was every reason to think she could carry it off without Mulder.

I'm glad they tried. We got 40 more X Files.

Mulder is more subject than main character. Even more so in the hunt to find him.

The MOTW episodes ruled s7 though my fave was a mythology story. Hunger was a great way to bring s7 in with a bang and showed how different the show could be.

Too much self awareness in certain eps. Didn't like Millenium for this reason. There was a feeling of 'could do better' too often. Especially when the good ones stood out. They should have been the norm.

The LA thing still shows up too much, less atmosphere than Vancouver.

Hollywood AD stunk when it stunk but gave some good scenes otherwise.

3 cast members writing / directing. I've argued they earned it.

It was sad when he left and a very good end to a decent season. One of the better cliffhangers.

Quite a few comments early on this thread that this is when people started droppimg the show.

What on earth could s8 have done wrong???......

Last edited by X Fool; 08-12-2018 at 08:35 AM Reason: More to add
Old 08-13-2018, 07:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by beloved of the sky (View Post)
It would have been a decent end if they ended it here although I wouldn’t have liked it with Mulder permanently abducted. But, then it could have been resolved altogether in a second movie, in my opinion!
I think a movie was originally the plan as season 7 doesn’t have a very final feel about it to me, even though many involved assumed that it was going to be the final season at the time. It still ends on Scully announcing her pregnancy, as well as Mulder’s abduction, so I guess that CC was originally ending it on a cliffhanger with the expectation that he could use that to set up a movie franchise
Old 08-13-2018, 01:58 PM
Part-Time Fan

I was surprised how good this cliffhanger was.

It showed there was definite life in the show.

Maybe a reduced season with half the episodes for better quality.

They churned out a good 150 in a row where it was still fresh but tried to keep the long seasons going when it started to run out of steam.

S7 deserves a better rep.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:28 PM
Master Fan

^
I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrellingTralk (View Post)
I think a movie was originally the plan as season 7 doesn’t have a very final feel about it to me, even though many involved assumed that it was going to be the final season at the time. It still ends on Scully announcing her pregnancy, as well as Mulder’s abduction, so I guess that CC was originally ending it on a cliffhanger with the expectation that he could use that to set up a movie franchise
TBH, I have come to the realization that 'cliffhangers' is all that CC knows how to do. Sigh.
X-files, epi #5-04, 'Detour'.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:49 PM
Part-Time Fan

I also discovered the value of the late Kim Manners this season as his episodes stood out.

CC did well with some but was a little inconsistent.

Duane Barry story was his crowning glory
Old 08-14-2018, 01:44 AM
Master Fan

Interesting. Maybe people like KM had a stabilizing effect on the X-Files. Tht would explain why things have become a bit chaotic (ses S11).
Old 08-14-2018, 02:02 PM
Part-Time Fan

When I get to s11 seeing it for the second time will be weird as part of the marathon.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:39 PM
Master Fan

Interestingly, I liked S10 much, much more when seeing it for the 2nd time.

I hope the same will be true for S11.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think only season 9 is a big blank to me out of all the seasons.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:57 AM
Part-Time Fan

It feels weird watching new ones as you don't know what to expect or can't always take it in first time.

I don't always get X Files first time either because they can be quite fast moving and complicated.

So agree its usually best after 25th viewing.....
Old 08-15-2018, 06:22 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Stewie (View Post)
Interesting. Maybe people like KM had a stabilizing effect on the X-Files. Tht would explain why things have become a bit chaotic (ses S11).
For me that’s what felt a bit off about the newer episodes, the original show had wonderful directors like Kim Manners who brought such a high level of production quality to those episodes (particularly starting from season 4), while season 10 had the writers all directing their own episodes from what I remember, they no longer treat directors as its own separate art form like the original series did

I mean they were still good for tv, certainly all competently done, but they didn’t have that old X-Files polish and epic scope where you felt more like you were watching a movie every week
Old 08-16-2018, 02:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, that all sounds right to me! Writers stick with the writing and let directors experienced in directing do the episodes. I liked how the early X-Files felt a bit cinematic... not too many tv shows back then felt like mini-movies.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:12 PM
Master Fan

^^

Agree with both of you.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:11 PM
Part-Time Fan

It's a good point about the movie episodes. Not all of them could be classed as mini films of course but that's the trend it appears X Files was one of pioneers of.

Lost
Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones

all have bigger budgets than some movies.

X Files pushed the boundaries. Made you go 'wow'

S10 and S11 looked like a typical reboot. Trying to get something back they were possibly never going to achieve. Not all bad though.