Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2018, 07:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, the chest close ups only served purpose for the male X-Files fans, methinks!

Yeah, out of character for Scully to go alone with CSM. Surprised she would put herself in that vulnerable position and then according to the newest season, this is when William was conceived or something!

I did find Scully’s line about liking her coffee unadulterated sort of funny.

This is weird cause is this the only time when Scully ran off on Mulder after all those times he took off without her as a partnership.

I have a feeling there was a huge fight between them once she got back with Mulder who looked like he was just simmering below the surface.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:51 PM
Part-Time Fan

Apologies for my shallowness......

En Ami (enemy or friend? ......) becomes a piece of the jigsaw as to why Mulder leaves, he had nothing to live for, then Scully betrays him, betrays is harsh. I guess he felt a small loss of trust from her, she can't justify her collusion with CSM, then again neither can the Production Team. It should have been a 5 minute episode where Scully just say '..nah, it took you 7 seasons to try that one Mr Smoky.......'

Chimera
En Ami is then a thorn between two roses (i won't use this analogy again don't worry )

The One with the Raven & the mirror monster

S7 adds another surprise to its list of forgotten, underrated episodes. Decline over for a brief moment. M&S are on a stakeout, Skinner, who is being involved more and more in the lead up to Mulder's departure, gives Mulder the case because the report about a raven is stumping everyone and fits in to a proper X File. Yet in 4 episodes time we are back to no one believing Skinner let alone Scully, everyone blind to what is happening when cases like this can't be ignored.

How many episodes are there where if M&S had not gotten involved, nothing would have happened? This is definitely not one of those. The resolution is all down to Mulder piecing it together. I didn't suspect the main protagonist until late on. Duchovny is going out in style with some superb later performances.

Very well made with excellent suspense scenes. Some good shocks, the characters have depth, a definite comment on mother peer pressure of having to fit in. Well written. Scully's part in this was reduced and the plot didn't really do her justice as to why. It was funny if a bit lazy, when i find out that it's only happened because our Gillian has been directing for the show so this was 'to compensate '. At the cost of the plot? This would have been a good Scully story if she'd been there. Apparently the same happened with DD though.

8/10
Old 08-03-2018, 11:59 PM
Part-Time Fan

all things

Definitely published as such without capital letters

The One written and directed by our Gillian

Beware of the cast directed episodes?......not really. I actually thought this was good. If GA hasn't earned this then I don't know who has. 15 pages too long and no 4th act. I'm not surprised, she's an actress, this stuff came vomiting out and they saved the best bits. Basically well done.

I am currently confused as to who slept with who and why after En Ami and all things. I am told ep13 of s8 sorts this out for me. The pace of this episode is just right and the twist with the mysterious woman being Mulder is clever.

GA gives it her all and bins her former love. We all know why. The first time Mulder talks to Scully where she then falls asleep.......maybe?

Love the final scene

8/10
Old 08-04-2018, 03:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I like how Gillian was able to write a back story for Scully!

Also, how she wrote Mulder and Scully and the scene at the end! and the opening

Musical soundtrack was unusual for the show.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:32 PM
Master Fan

I remember when the episode 1st aired.....that opening.
X-files, epi #5-04, 'Detour'.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:30 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah I’ve heard All Things got some dislike from the fans, but I liked it too. It was nice to get something different with a slower-paced character study. And then there were the M/S moments of course
Old 08-05-2018, 11:07 AM
Part-Time Fan

If you see the s7 documentary on you tube you can see how much she enjoyed it, and realised how hard it was to direct herself. She deserved great credit. She's a star.

Brand X

Third time I've started writing this.

The One with the Cigarette Beetles.

Great irony and social message. I read this morning that Morley is a fictional brand uses in TV and Film and you then see why. Very clever.

Kim Manners. Blah blah blah, it's getting embarrassing. KM didn't know how to make a dud. Here's a challenge. A bad KM episode. Nope me neither. He is well and truly the insect man.

Very good performances from the main cast, Skinner gets a good run in this season. Tobin Bell was made for this part. I haven't seen the Saw films and don't intend to but he deserves the awards for those films I am sure. Some people are born to play villains, I also remember him from The Firm.

Mulder nearly dies but then we get the two weeks later scenario for the 2nd time this season. It doesn't spoil it enough.

Very good episode with some decent shocks. Show to a friend. Not out of place in any other season.

8/10
Old 08-05-2018, 08:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, it must be weird to direct yourself

Kim Manners was an excellent director!

Haha, reminds me of a scene where Gillian keeps doing retakes of a certain line of dialogue and when Kim tells her she switched her lines around, her voice turns from Scully to sounding like a whiny teenage girl going “Kiiiiiim!”

I liked the beetles one, reminds of the cockroaches one! Mulder was almost toast in this episode, but miraculously pulls through.

This one is bug squeamish for sure! It’s one of the good episodes!
Old 08-06-2018, 12:23 AM
Part-Time Fan

I love the real Gillian. She's got a lovely smile and a hilarious laugh which of course you rarely if not never see in the show.

I read yesterday how she has a study named after her called 'The Scully Effect' which is analysed academically. You forget the impact the show, character and actress had. She's 50 next week.

Hollywood A.D.

The One with the movie and Tea.

Nope. Not for me. Everyone's very pleased with this one. It has some really good scenes, but it doesn't make sense to make a film about a secret agency. Skinner wouldn't allow anyone near his agents.

One of the best scenes in X Files history however is the bubble bath three way conversation. GA just looks so good. Being shallow again. It's very funny.

The running scene is funny. If you're concentrating on the foreground you'll miss it.

The scenes in the catacombs are good and the autopsy scene hilarious. Very well realised. I'm talking myself into a 6 out of 10 here. I am just not a fan of too many in-jokes and self awareness. A movie? Really?

Prefer GA writing to DD but I know that DD is basically at one with the whole show. Again, he earned this one. Nice cameo from 'I am the Walrus'.

Lovely ending with M&S but crap with the ghosts.

Proper marmite episode

6/10 go on then. Dare I say it. Fight Club was funnier
Old 08-07-2018, 12:20 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, it's funny to watch the bloopers of the show because seeing Scully laughing in Giliian's wacky laugh seems out of character I always laugh when I watch her laughing.

I the three way phone call in the bubble baths Mulder calling Skinner "Skinman" and let's Scully know Skinners taking a bubble bath until Skinner tells him, he's still on the line and Scully starts playing with her nose while waiting for Mulder to get back to her

DD was good at writing humour into his episodes!

It's funny in the widescreen version of when Scully runs back and forth. In the cropped version you can't see, but in the widescreen, you see Gillian walk off and the stunt double standing there starts running
Old 08-07-2018, 12:42 AM
Part-Time Fan

Widescreen never does anyone any favours....

A double to run? To be fair it never did look like her. She usually does this little trot...

Ready??.......

Fight Club.

The One which often finishes bottom of fan polls?

I had hugely low expectations after reading a couple of reviews which is always dangerous. I was pleasantly surprised. The doppelganger MS scene is silly and doesn't look at all appropriate especially when he starts laying into her. I don't think it would be made today.

It's funny and water tight. I found myself wanting to see more, to see how they got out of it. It was like a comedy film with people coming and going from the washroom and yet the acting and timing worked.

It's funny.

I've been on this forum preaching about self awareness and given low marks to Millenium and Hollywood AD, even First Person Shooter, but this one set its stall out from the beginning it was going to be quirky.

Kathy Griffin is superb.

The idea of the twins being from the same father from sperm donation is just a clever plot line.

Don't take it too seriously and give it a chance as these characters have depth and you feel the frustration by the end and have some empathy.

Sorry if you disagree. Be kind.

7/10
Old 08-09-2018, 01:32 PM
Part-Time Fan

Je Souhaite

The One with the Genie and the 3 wishes

I laughed

I liked The Amazing Maleeni and this was of similar ilk. From the beginning we knew there was something screwy about it. The same faceappeared in different photos in time, looking no older, The X Files rewrites American and world history again.

The three wishes in the wrong hands, but not villainous 'want to take over the world ' hands, or even CSM or Krycek. The wrong hands being extremely stupid hands.

The idea of being invisible but then not being able to see you're own feet because they too are invisible. Run over by a truck. Brought back to life only to then start decomposing.

There is a lot of the ironic comedy of Breaking Bad from VG in this episode. It's not remotely believable, but you feel sympathy for most of the characters and it slots nicely into place at the end.

Lovely Scully scenes where she discovers the invisible man. Shows him off only for him to have actually gone.

It would be just our luck that a genie would be sarcastic, ironic and take you literally at your word. Even Mulder fell for it. They shut down 8 blocks in LA to create the ghost town scenes.

Isn't it lucky it was 3 wishes and not 2?

Penultimate DD episode

8/10
Old 08-10-2018, 04:10 AM
Fan Forum Hero

That was such a fun episode, Scully’s excitement at finally having hard evidence for something from the X-Files was really cute Great ending for Mulder and Scully too just chilling on the couch together
Old 08-10-2018, 04:38 AM
Master Fan

I always loved that episode.
X-files, epi #5-04, 'Detour'.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:18 AM
Part-Time Fan

Requiem

The One where Mulder gets abducted

I think this episode is one of the series best. It pays a serious homage to the previous seven years, but does it with so much care and detail that the viewer really has this sense of the end of an era.

It's almost as if this was a follow up to the movie. As if there had been a break and they came back with this. It's fresh. Almost preplanned before One Son, before the movie.

I love the return of the Brian Thompson aliens. Long overdue. The acid blood, M&S' realisation of this fact. Some of those mythology episodes of s3 and 4 were the best in the series run and it's a plotline that didn't look old in Requiem.

The seriousness of the mood really makes this a classic. The CSM Krycek relationship back to its best, genuinely trying to get the original project to work again.

Great effects with the break dancing Scully and Finch from American Pie. They used it in Rush earlier in the season. Looks good.

Scully is outstanding and doesn't want to leave him. Skinner is finally convinced and has his light bulb moment which brings to him the enormity of how many times he now knows they were right.

Bringing back old characters from the Pilot now shows how good that single episode was and deserves its plaudits 25 years later.

Kim Manners take a bow again.

I can't say any more, except DD puts in his single best performance to sign off. That scene when he meets the Bounty Hunter in the circle is so powerful and Skinner watching the ship go off.

10/10