Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2011, 05:18 PM
Master Fan

^Thanks for the link .
Old 05-23-2011, 11:07 PM
Elite Fan

That's such a beautiful picspam. It reminded me of how many great episodes there are in S7, how many I love. I have to say that trilogy of Biogenesis/The Sixth Extinction/The Sixth Extinction II: Amor Fati is one of my favorites in the entire series. It's probably ranks second to Anasazi/The Blessing Way/Paper Clip. So good!
Old 05-24-2011, 09:36 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for the pic spam!! Such good moments from s7!

I just loved 'First Person Shooter' just love The Lone Gunmen! Always a good time then!

FROHIKE: Go, girl!
BYERS: Oh. Scully’s on fire!
LANGLY: The bloodthirst is unquenchable.

darylbeth
Old 07-07-2018, 02:24 PM
Part-Time Fan

Found it on page 25!! The first post on this thread in just over 7 years. Does this mean this is a very unappreciated season? I found season 8 thread first.

Sixth Extinction I
The One where Scully gets attacked by insects.

Spooky Crusader
Shorter hair. Madness does that to you (or hightened brain activity to put it kindly). Mulders hair appears to have found its way to Krycek. Why hide when we all know its you? Mulder attacks Adie Skinner (short for Adrian. He's more a Walter than an Adrian...). He smashes him in the face then slips him a note saying HELP ME in blood. I wouldn't personally.....but.

World's hottest debunker
Determined to find the solution. Attacked by insects. Sees a man who's not there (we've all done it) escapes kidnap by Dr Barnes, drives away, sees the man, goes back to visit Mulder in hospital.

Overall
Bit boring. Better to come. The insects and the mysterious man well realised. Kritschgau is back. Can't be trusted. Dirty Di is still in CSMs pocket. The clock's a-ticking on that relationship methinks. Launch of s7 a bit less impact of previous as said with Biogenesis. 17.82m Americans still had the show's back so it still had the hype behind it. What is the difference between this and say Redux or Herrenvolk? There's something tired about the plot in comparison. Its not quite fresh enough and the cast do carry it definitely. What I'm saying is that i just knew Scully would be ok and come back and eventually Mulder would survive whereas there was more zip about previous season launches, possibly the mythology was stronger in s4 and 5 and we lost something after the Syndicate write out.

7/10
Old 07-08-2018, 05:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Maybe it is, it’s a season I’ve only watched through once!

The season opener was and is not very memorable to me. Still with the mythology that lost me by now!

Funny how I notice I have definite opinions though on the length of Mulder or Scully’s hair though. So shallow
Old 07-09-2018, 02:43 PM
Part-Time Fan

The first non myth episode of s7 was apparently filmed first as M&S were tied up filming other things and when you know this fact it shows. Jumping ahead but that may answer the question of hair length or styles. It is late 90s/millenium which by then anything goes....

The Sixth Extinction II : Amor Fati
The reason for doing 'the one with....' i am not good at French so i don't care what it means.
The One where Mulder marries and buries Dirty D (was her name, Diana, supposed to be so similar to Scully's and yet she is the antithesis of her? )

Spooky Crusader
Mad as a hatter by this point. Recovers literally in 5 seconds from a brain op by the end. Gets to sleep with Di again. Meets Deep Throat. (Same thing surely?....) Sees Samamtha. By now he must know its a dream every time he sees her. Grows badly old, or grows old badly. Name me one show that has got old make up right. Nails his colours massively to the Scully mast by the end. She saves him without realising. She was the only person who could.

The World's Worst Debunker for the 7th year running. Why was she chosen to debunk the X Files? Its like choosing Mother Teresa to assassinate someone.
Scully hates Diana, saves Skinner, nearly catches Alex, invades Mulder's dream. Inadvertently convinces Diana to save Mulder sacrificing herself in the process. Loyalty, determination, inner strength, compassion, strong calves apparently.

Overall
There's a reason i didn't do this 2 parter as one as i have done before. That's because this stands out so much from the previous two episodes and is a real hard hitter. Killing Diana was a shock even twenty years later (basically i'd forgot). Again showing that no one is really safe on X Files save for about 4 of the main cast. Very well realised. The Deep Throat scene is brilliant as he gets to ask him all the questions he wanted to since it happened. The Holocaust scene with CSM at the window is truly excellent for 1999. Its a shame the previous episodes weren't up to the standard of this. Yet it did end unresolved slightly. No real explanation of the Darth Vader moment or the need to swap brain matter.That side of it didn't leave me wanting more. The Krycek / Skinner thing is much more interesting.

A strong 9/10.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:34 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, it was surprising Diana didn’t make it, but I remember being shocked when they killed Deep Throat too back in season 1!
Old 07-12-2018, 02:43 PM
Part-Time Fan

Hungry

The One with the monster that feeds on people's brains.

Spooky Crusader and World's Worst Debunker are conspicuous by their peripheralness (now, is that a word?). The reason for this is because DD and GA were finishing off filming summit else and what flowered from this weed of circumstance was an X File which is solely about the monster, there is extreme depth to the main characters and a touching ending that puts this ep into the 'show a non fan' category.

Sulky and Smoulder solve it and end it and without them he would have carried on, but it was refreshing to see this from the protagonist POV. A well realised episode, quirky, humorous, good pace and character relationships.

Rob visiting the Food Addiction meeting, seeing his neighbour, bonding shamelessly with her only to basically eat her brain within 10 minutes has irony, nastiness and is just not fair. Anything you think 'nah they wouldn't do that?' they do. Good teaser also.

The monster looks like David Bowie in The Man Who Fell to Earth.

9/10
Good start to MOTW s7 style. Why is this season over looked?

Answers coming up? Not? Suspense.....

Sorry for the ambiguity. I'm still struggling to see where the decline started. Great Show !!
Old 07-13-2018, 01:34 AM
Master Fan

I always liked the episode, since it didn't portray the MotW as an evil monster. Instead, we saw how the person struggles, and then accepts his fate. Also, we saw how some poeple arond him manage to accept him for who it is.
X-files, epi #5-04, 'Detour'.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:31 PM
Part-Time Fan

Good point well made. He reverted to type eventually and he couldn't help himself. It didn't make it right though.

Millenium
The One with the guys from Millenium

Spooky Crusader
Gets a new year snog. Mulder is desperate for Frank's help and almost gives up on getting it. Mulder breaks into a house and is trapped in a cellar with some zombies.

The World's Worst Debunker
Scully is sceptical of Frank. There's a pattern developing here. Scully is attacked by a dead deputy while doing an autopsy, her 100th of the series to date. Scully saves the day by shooting the zombies as they're about to kill Mulder and Frank.

Summary
Self indulgent. Dr Who never got its Blakes 7 episode. There's good reason. It would have looked contrived and crap. Decent imagery. Death is everywhere in this one. Its good for shocks, especially the scenes in the morgue. I can't see past the self indulgence unfortunately. I didn't watch Millennium. Maybe that's why i didn't care about this story.

4/10
Old 07-15-2018, 03:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, I didn’t watch Millenium or the Lone Gunmen spin offs so I don’t think I even realized that was a crossover episode at all!
Old 07-15-2018, 10:42 PM
Part-Time Fan

That's a good point. I know i didn't until watching it now. Then i still didn't really til i read up on the episode and its all over the wiki synopsis. There was an air of 'you should know who Frank is' about it, which i understandable in a way. This unfortunately now dates the ep as no one remembers Millennium. Apart from Robbie Williams fans......
Old 07-16-2018, 02:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I have zero idea who Frank is I heard Mulder and Scully made an appearance in Millenium too, but it was only their backs on a staircase in passing, so obviously it was just some stand-ins, not DD & GA.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:37 PM
Part-Time Fan

Glad its not just me. There was definitely an assumption we knew, almost arrogant of CC. Bless him. We can't have it all. I think my head would swell if i had created an edgy, original cult series that blasted mainstream the way X Files did. He'd also done the film by now as well.

Rush

The One where everyone in the canteen sees their teacher smashed in by a chair.

Spooky Crusader
Mulder finds the deputy's glasses on the back of his head. They just happened to pass through his head to get there. Mulder thinks Tony is innocent but not in the same way as Scully. Mulder sees the blur in the cctv footage. Mulder susses out the plot after about 15 minutes but can't quite keep up to prove it. A good Mulder episode.

World's Worst Debunker
At her peak of gorgeousness. Scully perfoms number 101 autopsy......
She agrees that Tony is innocent but does not share Mulder's reason. Scully does a lot with Mulder but doesn't have a lot of her own to do. This is definitely a Mulder episode.

Nice to see Mulder and Scully investigating cases in random places, pissing the local sherriff off by undermining him, then proving they were right all along. By then its too late. Classic s1 s2 motw plot. M&S are again on the periphery but not as badly as Hungry. It's not a bad thingas this story travels well and the characters have decent depth and back stories. Camera work deserves a mention especially the bullet scene. Could have been its own movie. Had plenty more plot. Almost like it could have gone another episode.

Show it to a non fan

9/10 um better than last week
Old 07-18-2018, 02:21 PM
Part-Time Fan

The Goldberg Variation

The One that Stan Lee's Lucky Man ripped off.

Spooky Crusader
Mulder shows Scully the scene of the attempted murder, i don't think i, nor DD for that matter, will ever get bored of this classic X Files start scene as the Mitch Oileggi's and Chris Carter's roll at the bottom of the screen, Mulder tells Scully what happened, she listens and plays Devil's Advocate and he then hits her with the punchline of what makes this an X File. Never gets old. Poorer when its not there. Mulder believes in Henry's luck from the beginning. He tries to fix a burst pipe then falls through the floor. He gets shot.

World's Worst Debunker
Scully is sceptical. She actually calls it first though as lucky. Mulder thinks he has the power to heal himself. According to wikipedia Scully concludes there is no X File. Scully usually does this by minute 20, especially in the later seasons, you would think she would have been a bit more open to it by s7.

Overall
I like this one. The pace is good, its interesting, quirky, you feel for Henry, especially when he doesn't win his money at cards. The Goldberg machines are clever and takes you back to a time when that was really impressive. It's almost as if it's too much hard work for people to build for entertainment. The gangster angle is a good one. Weems is perfectly cast.

7/10