Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2003, 07:51 AM
Master Fan

The X-Files *Season One* Appreciation Thread #3: "Do you believe in the existence of extraterrestrials?" — Fox Mulder

The X-Files: Season One

Episode List
1.01 Pilot
1.02 Deep Throat
1.03 Squeeze
1.04 Conduit
1.05 The Jersey Devil
1.06 Shadows
1.07 Ghost in the Machine
1.08 Ice
1.09 Space
1.10 Fallen Angel
1.11 Eve
1.12 Fire
1.13 Beyond the Sea
1.14 Genderbender
1.15 Lazarus
1.16 Young at Heart
1.17 E.B.E.
1.18 Miracle Man
1.19 Shapes
1.20 Darkness Falls
1.21 Tooms
1.22 Born Again
1.23 Roland
1.24 The Erlenmeyer Flask

darylღbeth

Last edited by Penny Lane; 09-13-2020 at 10:57 AM
Old 10-20-2003, 08:32 PM
Master Fan

I first saw the pilot long after I had started watching the show, when the episodes first started coming out on VHS. It was so intriguing to me that I think I would have been into this show from the start had I seen the pilot originally.

I really love the banter and how young David and Gillian are. There's so much chemistry right from the beginning [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I definitely enjoy the trust being built during the motel room scene...revisted during Requiem, with entirely different results [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

And also Jessica from TWOP really makes this episode fun [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2003, 08:36 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Snicker:
<STRONG>The rain-scenes stands out in my memory in this episode. The one right after they lost 9 minutes and the one at the cemetary where Scully's laughing...a very rare Scully feature. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]</STRONG>
I love watching the blooper reel from season one with that scene in it because it took them sooo long for her to that monologue right [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2003, 05:43 AM
Addicted Fan

The Pilot wasn't the first ep I saw either. I must have been about 10 when it first aired and X-files wasn't a show I think my mom would have appreciated me watching back then. Not that I would have understood much anyway. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by DevotedFanOfMatt:
<STRONG>
I love watching the blooper reel from season one with that scene in it because it took them sooo long for her to that monologue right [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]</STRONG>
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I love the bloopers! I've got them all. Well, up to season 6. I haven't been able to find any season 7 one. [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]
Yeah the rain scene is great, with Scully having to repeat her lines over and over and Mulder laughing at her when she punctuates "A-gent Mulder, AA-GENT Mulder!". [img]smilies/rotfl.gif[/img]

*lol* I loved Jessica's reviews! But wasn't it these two other girls who had written it to someone called Jesica? I think that's what it said. Nevermind though I don't know who any of them are. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

What's TWOP stand for anyway?

So she noticed Scully's look as well. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] The older they get, the more time they spend on their looks.

Quote:
"Do you have a theory?" Scully asks, naïvely. That is so the last time she's going to ask that question.
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] True.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:19 AM
Master Fan

I loved the Pilot. It was absolutley one of my favorite episodes ever. It was so well written and directed and acted! I just loved every single interaction between Mulder & Scully. They had just met and they acted like they've known each other for years. I didn't get to watch the Pilot when it first airred, but I watched it a few years back and just recently, but I really loved watching where Billy Miles set in with the story, and I loved seeing that.

I thought Mulder doing the X on the road was weird at first until they went back over it and experienced time lost, then it made sense. Mulder wasn't so loony as people said he was, he was pretty damn smart with his theorys, also I thought it was so funny how fast Scully started to believe in aliens and stuff. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

darylღbeth
Old 10-21-2003, 01:07 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Snicker:
<STRONG>lol* I loved Jessica's reviews! But wasn't it these two other girls who had written it to someone called Jesica? I think that's what it said. Nevermind though I don't know who any of them are.

What's TWOP stand for anyway?</STRONG>
That's actually my page of my favorite quotes from Jessica's recaps, since TWOP is a competing message board and I can't link it here. TWOP stands for Television Without Pity [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2003, 04:29 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by * Cordelia *:
<STRONG> Mulder wasn't so loony as people said he was, he was pretty damn smart with his theorys</STRONG>
Oh yeah definetely. Like others has mentioned afterwards, Mulder graduating top of his class, best grades, and the way he worked out the strings, how he could "see" things long before anyone else could. And of how he disappointed all the people who had such great plans for him. Maybe that's why they were always in his face, because of the sting of his rejection. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by DevotedFanOfMatt:
<STRONG>
That's actually my page of my favorite quotes from Jessica's recaps, since TWOP is a competing message board and I can't link it here. TWOP stands for Television Without Pity [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]</STRONG>
Ahaaa.. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ 10-21-2003: Message edited Snicker ]
Old 10-23-2003, 05:16 PM
Master Fan

Episode: 1 – 1
Original US airdate: Sep 10th 1993

The one where it all began…

Favourite lines (no.1 choice in bold):
Blevins: “Are you familiar with the so-called X-Files?”
Scully: “I believe they have to do with unexplained phenomena” How right she was

Scully knocks on the door
Mulder: “Sorry no one here but the FBI’s Most Unwanted”

Mulder: “That's why they put the "I" in "FBI" See you tomorrow morning, Scully, bright and early. We leave for the very plausible state of Oregon at eight A.M.”

Mulder to Scully: “Do you believe in the existence of extraterrestrials?” Not really the line but his face and tone in which it was said

The coffin falls and opens to reveal a wrinkled and unnatural corpse
Mulder: “It’s probably a safe bet Ray Soames never made the varsity basketball team”

Scully: “Who is it?”
Mulder: “Steven Spieldberg”

Scully: “Time can’t just disappear, it’s a universal invariance”
The car comes back to life
Mulder: "Not in this zip code"

Blevins: “And Agent Mulder, what does he believe?”
Scully: “He believes we are not alone”

Favourite scenes (no.1 choice in bold):
- The twister effect around Billy Miles and the victim, nice effects
- Being introduced to Mulder’s great office with that poster as Scully enters
- The autopsy on the body that really highlights the contrast, Scully conducting it very seriously and scientifically while Mulder is damn near giddy at this ‘proof’ as he snaps away with his little camera
- The flash and subsequent time lapse as they near Mulder’s spray painted X, Mulder gets out and whoops for joy
- The end where we see CSM in the huge room of files and then seeing the Pentagon sign and the words ‘conspiracy’ and ‘Government cover-up’ begin screaming in your mind
- Scully and Mulder in the graveyard putting together their theory before laughing about it

Review
I’ve seen this episode so many times now but enjoy it no less with each viewing. It is a piece of television history and as far as pilots go it’s about as good as they come. With great performances from David and Gillian which includes a great chemistry already between the two, including a number of nice moments where Scully flashes a couple of little smiles at him and when he comforts her after her spot scare you maybe get the feeling of an early romance in the works which never materialised. It also features what I call the ‘enticement factor’ where Scully is seen in her underwear, I’d say it is the most revealing shot of her we ever see and happens a lot in pilots, only example of the top of my head is Roswell with Liz, I’m guessing to hook guys who would maybe just turn off without it. We also get the nickname of ‘Spooky’ which I myself have been called based on my love of the X-Files

Rating – 8-8.5, an extremely solid start which lays the base for what turned out to be 9 great years

A few questions of my own:
- Did Scully ever make a typing mistake or is she just that perfect?
- Who were Mulder’s connections in Congress? Was this answered later in series, maybe it was but find it so hard to remember everything

Sorry for such long ramblings but could take all day about the X-Files

Also, would definitely give a week for each episode. By the way where can bloopers for the series be found?

[ 10-24-2003: Message edited JayDeeMac ]

Chat about the X-Files (the greatest show of all time) here!
Old 10-24-2003, 05:34 AM
Addicted Fan

Yay! Another fan joining in on the discussion. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Hope you'll stick around. Btw, ramble on, I love to read peoples' thoughts on the X-files. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by JayDeeMac:
<STRONG>By the way where can bloopers for the series be found? </STRONG>
I found mine by searching Kazaa. If you have that program it's easy. Well, it might take some time to get them all downloaded but it's DEFINETELY worth it. Search for 'X-Files - season 3 (or whatever season you're looking for [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) bloopers'. There are up to season 6 and they're all hilarious. Especially love the season 4 burning book that just wouldn't start burning. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] But there are lots of goodies in them all. They're actually the most precious vid-files I've got. Which is why I HATE the fact that my burner refuses to burn them for me. I've recently had a crash where everything on my computer disappeared and I so don't want to loose these guys. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Quote:
Blevins: “And Agent Mulder, what does he believe?”
Scully: “He believes we are not alone”
Forgot about this quote. That one's a definite classic. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
A few questions of my own:
- Did Scully ever make a typing mistake or is she just that perfect?
- Who were Mulder’s connections in Congress? Was this answered later in series, maybe it was but find it so hard to remember everything
I'd say she's THAT perfect. Worked her ass off to live up to dad's expectations I presume.

I think Mulder's primary connection in congress was Senator Richard Matheson. At least that's the guy he went to sometimes when things reached far up into the government spiderweb. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2003, 04:21 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for the kazaa tip.

I forgot about Matheson, I assume like you that's who he meant

Are there any other X-Files fan sites/forums/message boards etc that people know about where the word could be spread about the episode discussion and we could get more involvement for it?

Old 10-27-2003, 12:10 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
<STRONG>
Are there any other X-Files fan sites/forums/message boards etc that people know about where the word could be spread about the episode discussion and we could get more involvement for it?</STRONG>
Not that I know of. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I used to know one but it shut down due to inactivity. *shrugs*
Old 10-27-2003, 12:18 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
<STRONG>Are there any other X-Files fan sites/forums/message boards etc that people know about where the word could be spread about the episode discussion and we could get more involvement for it?</STRONG>
Ive been doing my best to help promote the Xfiles board, I guess you could email your friends that like the show and get them to come here. But its against the rules on FF to promote a message board, so I think it'd be rude to do that on another message board.

darylღbeth
Old 10-27-2003, 04:49 PM
Ultimate Fan

I've only got a few words to say on the Pilot [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] : this episode proves you how much you can do with very little means at your disposal when it comes to establishing the outline of a series. I give it two thumbs up!! [img]smilies/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]smilies/thumbs_up.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2003, 06:24 AM
Master Fan

When will discusion on second ep start?

Old 11-02-2003, 04:42 AM
Master Fan

The discussion on the 2nd episode may start when ever you guys want it to. I'll bring some screencaps and summary tomorrow...er..later today [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

darylღbeth