Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2004, 07:06 AM
Obsessed Fan

X-Files *Season Five* Appreciation Thread~The Great Mutato, Vampires and Emily...

This is the place to discuss all the amazing and not so amazing episodes of Season Five. What had you rolling on the floor with laughter, what had you hiding your face from the TV and what made you run to your computer to discuss with fellow X-Philes

Episode List:

5X01 Unusual Suspects
5X02 Redux
5X03 Redux II
5X04 Detour
5X05 Christmas Carol
5X06 Post-Modern Prometheus
5X07 Emily
5X08 Kitsunegari
5X09 Schizogeny
5X10 Chinga
5X11 Kill Switch
5X12 Bad Blood
5X13 Patient X
5X14 The Red And The Black
5X15 Travellers
5X16 Mind's Eye
5X17 All Souls
5X18 The Pine Bluff Variant
5X19 Folie À Deux
5X20 The End

Last edited by lollies; 09-05-2004 at 07:38 AM
Old 09-06-2004, 05:18 AM
Obsessed Fan

This was the first ever season that I bought on DVD over 2 years ago. It probably isn't in my top 3 favourite seasons but it is still up there. It has some of my all time favourite X-Files episodes such as Bad Blood, Redux I and II, The Post Modern Prometheus and Detour.

Another noteworthy episode is the Christmas Carol, Emily double, although, I have become less of a fan of the storyline over the years.

Last edited by lollies; 09-06-2004 at 10:10 AM
Old 09-06-2004, 08:19 AM
Master Fan

This is the only season I have on DVD as well. I *loved* PMP -- especially the dance at the end

I thought the stand alones were very good as well as the mytharc eps. This was the last season before things in the mytharc really started to unravel and it became clear that no one really knew "the truth."
Old 09-06-2004, 06:56 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by DevotedFanOfMatt
This is the only season I have on DVD as well. I *loved* PMP -- especially the dance at the end
I liked Post Modern Promethus, too, but I never quite understood it. I read somewhere that it was really a dream that Mulder had, which I didn't think was true, but it was an extremely strange episode, so I wasn't sure.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:45 PM
Ultimate Fan

This is the season (along with season 4) that I thought David looked the hottest.

Redux II was a fabulous episode, as much for Gillian's acting as for gut wrenching scenes between Mulder and Scully.

Detour was your good flirty stand-alone episode. How much did we wish that it would rain sleeping bags...

Am I the only one who didn't think much of the Emily arc though? Don't get me wrong, she was a sweet little girl but what else did it bring to the character of Scully other than more misery and heartbreak?

As for PMP, I know someone who knows someone who knows someone from Vancouver who played in that episode! I know it's a little far-fetched but hey, it's a start, isn't it?

I think that in retrospective, season five had its ups and downs, the ups being Mind's Eye (I love Lily Taylor, she's one of my favorite actresses), The Pine Bluff Variant, Folie A Deux and The End (you just gotta love Gibson Praise ). On the other hand, I was disappointed by Kitsunegari: I mean, what are the odds that Modell's sister would have the same brain tumor that would enable her to push people? Very slim in the real world and that plot twist was lame.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:36 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Cathangel

Am I the only one who didn't think much of the Emily arc though? Don't get me wrong, she was a sweet little girl but what else did it bring to the character of Scully other than more misery and heartbreak?
You're not the only one, I can't exactly pinpoint the reason as to why I don't, I think it has something to do with what you have said and also I always found it hard to accept Scully's attachment in such a short space of time.

Quote:
I think that in retrospective, season five had its ups and downs, the ups being Mind's Eye (I love Lily Taylor, she's one of my favorite actresses), The Pine Bluff Variant, Folie A Deux and The End (you just gotta love Gibson Praise ). On the other hand, I was disappointed by Kitsunegari: I mean, what are the odds that Modell's sister would have the same brain tumor that would enable her to push people? Very slim in the real world and that plot twist was lame.
I agree with a lot of what you have said here. Kitsunegari probably shouldn't have been made. I was also dissapointed with the episode Chinga, it had some great Mulder and Scully banter but when you consider it was written by Stephen King I was expecting more than a Killer Doll. I also really cant stand the episodes All Souls and Travellers.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:50 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by lollies
I always found it hard to accept Scully's attachment in such a short space of time.
Yes! I had that problem too! We never really saw Scully's desire to have a child, but now she wants to adopt this kid and she finds out that she's barren and all this stuff. I just didn't feel it, though Gillian did a great job with what she had to work with. It added another level to the mytharc that they just didn't need.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:33 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by DevotedFanOfMatt
Yes! I had that problem too! We never really saw Scully's desire to have a child, but now she wants to adopt this kid and she finds out that she's barren and all this stuff. I just didn't feel it, though Gillian did a great job with what she had to work with. It added another level to the mytharc that they just didn't need.
That's good I'm not alone, I was having a hard time putting my reason into words and what you have said is pretty much how I feel. I just couldn't buy it.

I can't remember clearly, but I thought I read somewhere that the writers originally wrote the Christmas Carol without the storyline of Scully as the mother. It was just going to be another case that Mulder and Scully were going to investigate but they changed it later on.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
I can't remember clearly, but I thought I read somewhere that the writers originally wrote the Christmas Carol without the storyline of Scully as the mother. It was just going to be another case that Mulder and Scully were going to investigate but they changed it later on.
It's true and then, the writers turned to themselves and said: "Hey! I got an idea! How about we make Scully suffer some more? Just for old times sake!" And then, they all laughed at the evil plan they had in store for Scully. Mwahaha!
Old 09-09-2004, 06:49 AM
Obsessed Fan

That would be right. For all the brilliant writing on The X-Files there are still quite a few WTF? moments, where I don't get where they are coming from.

Quote:
Redux II was a fabulous episode, as much for Gillian's acting as for gut wrenching scenes between Mulder and Scully.
I think I have worn out the dvd with this episode on it, one of my all time favourites.

Last edited by lollies; 09-09-2004 at 06:55 AM
Old 09-11-2004, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
I think I have worn out the dvd with this episode on it, one of my all time favourites.
Ditto, although that's bit harder to wear out than VCR tapes.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:36 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Cathangel
Ditto, although that's bit harder to wear out than VCR tapes.
I know, I've already worn out the VHS copy that I have as well
Old 09-18-2004, 10:38 PM
Extreme Fan

Wow, I look at the ep list, and I need to go back and watch some of these again!

Redux II--I can't reall add more than what's been said. What an ep!

Bad Blood--I have probably watched that episode more than any other one. I love it!

The thing that sticks out though, is that I actually used "Mind's Eye" in a class on Sensation and Perception in college. Got to love brining the X-files to class with you!

Someone swears his true love until the end of time
Another runs away....
Seperate or United?
Healthy or Insane?
Old 09-19-2004, 12:54 AM
Obsessed Fan

I know, I can never tire of watching Bad Blood. It never fails to amuse. Vince Gilligan is a genious

Gillian has the best facial expressions during this episode.

Old 10-16-2004, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Fan

I love Bad Blood, definitely my favourite 'comedy' episode.

Patient X and The Red and the Black were two of my favourites, for some reason I really liked creepy non-believer Mulder.