Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2006, 04:12 PM
New Fan

love it!
Old 10-16-2009, 08:25 PM
New Fan

Me too. I really wasn't expecting it to be much good with Mulder gone, but was bowled over from the first episode. SO much better than season 7. A really excellent season, at the time I thought it boded well for the show to run for many more years.

Then we got season 9.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:31 AM
Master Fan

I had planned to skip Season 8 from my rewatch and only watch the episodes with Mulder in it. But than I just started watching them and suddenly I realized I that I actually like them

Doggett and Scully had a bad start but they came to terms with each other. Doggett is bringing some fresh air into the show. And I also like that bittersweet atmosphere. How Scully and Skinner try to arrange with the situation, their struggeling....

~Susanne ~
Old 11-26-2015, 11:08 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I had planned to skip Season 8 from my rewatch and only watch the episodes with Mulder in it. But than I just started watching them and suddenly I realized I that I actually like them
I had a friend hooked on the show recently and she shipped M&S so hard, I was kinda worried about her reaction to season 8

When she found out about Mulder not being a regular anymore, she said she would only watch his episodes and asked if there was any other she had to watch. I started listing all the episodes I loved in that season and actually even I was surprised by how much I liked it.

Season 9 was mostly a miss for me but season 8 held its own very well.

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"

Old 08-12-2018, 08:46 AM
Part-Time Fan

Thread resurrected after 2 years 9 months.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:56 AM
Master Fan

X-files, epi #5-04, 'Detour'.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:44 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Wow, this season is so popular in the history of this forum

I was dreading it cause I knew Mulder wouldn't be in it, but I did like Doggett and there were good episodes during it. So it has a bad wrap but it's really not.

But it doesn't have that X-Files feeling to me where Mulder and Scully banter their way through a creepy case. This felt more like some science fiction story with an alien baby, no Mulder and Scully being a nervous, rather emotional protective mother... kinda different for everybody.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by beloved of the sky (View Post)
But it doesn't have that X-Files feeling to me where Mulder and Scully banter their way through a creepy case.
I didn’t like the straightforward MotW’s much with Doggett and Scully, they didn’t really have the same chemistry as Mulder and Scully did when they would banter during their cases, so those episodes ended up feeling a bit dry. But I did mostly like the mythology episodes this year, and the character-focused episodes were usually worth a watch as well. Roadrunners and Redrum were both pretty great
Old 08-13-2018, 02:10 PM
Part-Time Fan

Post number 9.....ever.

Within

This was worth watching again because it's so unlike previous seasons. Mulder is gone and his reputation is at its lowest.

Kirsch is trying to destroy any credibility he had. Thank goodness Scully's got Skinner.

I don't like the new titles. Mulder didn't fall anywhere. It looked cheap.

Scully is very assertive and defensive in this episode. She and Dogget get off on the wrong foot.

It's one you can't take your eyes off. It has a good cliffhanger itself.

How do you do X Files without Mulder. It's like Laurel without Hardy, Dec without Ant.......hmm. Also Dogget has to follow Mulder as Scully's partner. Like following any lead who has left a long running show. When did it ever work.

DD was established and did it for 7 years. That's a long time in showbiz land. I am sure I remember some of the cast of Friends only just making the final season. I could be wrong. I'm glad they all stayed. It wouldn't have been the same. That series is all the more complete for it.

Doctor Who and James Bond found the way. The former using it cleverly as a plot line. James Bond being fortunate to have 2 or 3 year gaps between films.

DD stayed for 7 years. Well done for that and well done for keeping it going.

Some of the comments I've seen seem to have some positivity towards s8 and less so s9. So here goes. A good start.

Gibson Praise looks too old. Lost the cute factor.

8/10
Old 08-13-2018, 02:30 PM
Master Fan

I remember liking the scene when Scully and Doggett first meet....
Old 08-16-2018, 02:46 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That was CLASSIC,
Old 08-16-2018, 03:13 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrellingTralk (View Post)
I didn’t like the straightforward MotW’s much with Doggett and Scully, they didn’t really have the same chemistry as Mulder and Scully did when they would banter during their cases, so those episodes ended up feeling a bit dry. But I did mostly like the mythology episodes this year, and the character-focused episodes were usually worth a watch as well. Roadrunners and Redrum were both pretty great
Actually, that never occurred to me, but I agree!
Old 08-16-2018, 05:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Stewie (View Post)
I remember liking the scene when Scully and Doggett first meet....
Definitely It was the right decision to have Scully distrustful of this new partner at first, just as the audience still had to be won over by him as well
Old 08-17-2018, 02:18 PM
Part-Time Fan

Without

Scully rightly should be guarded. Even Skinner gets the gun pointing treatment in this episode. This was a slow burner. When the Bounty Hunter turns up at the school as Scully, that's when we really get going.

I like the Doggett character. Robert Patrick plays him brilliantly. You can see the look on his face that he knows he's in a no win situation. Not only with Scully but also breaking the 4th wall with the audience, as well as Kirsch.

He wins us over by naturally being respectful and protective of Scully, even though we know more than he does.

There are some good scenes in Without. It builds up to a decent climax in the hospital and then the Brian Thompson aliens surrounding Mulder at the end is a well made scene.

8/10 liking the new series including the excellent Doggett.

Patience

This was very good. Perfect start to the Scully Doggett partnership. I like the fact that he is prepared to risk his reputation and career to not debunk the X Files but to take over where Mulder left off, based on what he saw at the hospital.

Scully plays a complete role reversal and who wouldn't having witnessed what she has in the last 7 years.

She only ever questioned and challenged Mulder to keep him real and honest and by now totally believes you can see more in a case with an open mind instead of just analysing the science and is therefore a better agent for it.

Doggett is of course 7 years behind her in that respect however I like his simplistic approach to this case where he says he still knows when someone is hiding something. Scully will automatically try to see more into a case than may be necessary and Doggett is now keeping her real and honest and simpler.

Her admittance and acceptance of him so early in their relationship is credit to Robert Patrick and Doggett. He is a warm professional loyal dedicated man who's got your back. No messing.

This episode won't win the feminism of the year award for the opening exchange with the local detective, but like Little Britain, the show gets away with horrendous sexism by making those people look like the ones who are behind and ultimately it costs him dearly not listening to and welcoming Scully's theories.

A review has criticised this episode for the monster make up. I feel it was spot on. I've said before, as CC has also been quoted, a monster is more effective unseen and in this case there is no reveal in a brightly lit room or in daylight. It's what made Jaws. The thought of it, the imagination. The hiding in the tree stump. Excellent. You know he's going to come out, I found myself shouting 'run' even 20 years on.

Good claustrophobic scenes at the end and a monster that definitely deserved a sequel. Did he get one?

Scully puts Mulder in the drawer at the end. She knows Doggett has her back and he is starting to believe.

Looking forward to this partnership.

9/10 very good

Last edited by X Fool; 08-17-2018 at 02:36 PM Reason: Double header
Old 08-19-2018, 02:49 PM
Part-Time Fan

Road Runners

Sorry I've forgotten something

The One with the slug in Scully's back

That's better.

This was brilliant. I remember this from first time. Sick as you like from X Files. Not on Home territory but getting there. The teaser is horrific. You can't imagine why they're stoning a disabled man. Very clever to have Hank the Hitch Hiker being the only person to speak before the titles.

The feeling of claustrophobia is intense and very apparent. Scully brushes off Doggett and almost suffers the consequences. Good performances from all the cast.

It ends a bit early. The kidnapping of Scully is over sooner than I'd hoped, could this have been stretched to a two parter? The plot deserved it.

The reveal scene of the slug from the hammer death of Hank is disgusting. They really went to town on this one. Paul Rabwin is on record that some cameramen struggled with this one.

It doesn't take much to make this simplistic plot and setting claustrophobic. No phone signal, no phones working, no cars (but a garage...), the middle of nowhere. Brilliant.

Doggett to the rescue. He has to start believing stuff now. He does tell her off for leaving him out. Very supportive local police for a change.

Scully tied to a bed shouting 'you bastards' is awesome.

9/10 a very solid start to s8. You should check it out.