New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2018, 09:10 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
The X-Files
Info Center

Alot of X-Files MOTW episodes still can stand well, rewatching them today, minus the technology looks clunky!

And its one of the early shows where the cinematography looked like mini films per episode rather than a TV show!

DPO is a good MotW.

I can't think of too many "sequels" where characters/monsters had a ongoing story, other than Tooms and Modell!
Old 05-17-2018, 02:26 PM
Part-Time Fan

Just watched The List s3 ep5. Takes a lot from Shawshank as well as Se7en. Had a very 90s feel as a result. X Files was good at making this kind of mini film as mentioned below because they weren't afraid to spend. This could have been a film with more character development. The prisoners had back stories which weren't elaborated on purely from a time aspect, but it worked for this episode. Its almost as if this could have been a 2 parter. M/S mildly threatened therefore a step behind as a result and you can see Mulders frustration at the end, he felt he was close and was ultimately proved right, but never quite got close enough because of the warden's own agenda of self protection. Scully had her Miggs moment which i don't think would happen today. The various ways of dying are refreshing and keeps you on the edge of your seat. The twist where you actually see Neech is surprising as i think we all thought it was Parmelly by that point. The teaser is close to the bone and a bit disturbing but relevant of course. S3 at its best. Production team churning out just another classic x files because they are on a roll and because they can. Very well acted, and realised. Only criticism is the lack of any solving by or danger towards David and Gillian who are largely peripheral. 8/10.
X Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:06 PM
Master Fan

^
Thanks for reminding me of that episode....I really need to rewatch it - it's been too long.
X-files, epi #5-04, 'Detour'.
Little_Stewie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:32 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Stewie (View Post)
^
Thanks for reminding me of that episode....I really need to rewatch it - it's been too long.
Yeah it is memorable. Nothing wrong with taking influences from other shows or films and making them work in x files format. Quality ep
Old 05-20-2018, 10:05 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
The X-Files
Info Center

I’m watching “First Person Shooter” I know no one likes this one, but it’s not the worst one! Things that bug me is Scully’s hair being too short for my liking!

And also it’s weird cause in the show, Lucy Lawless makes an appearance in a two parter, but in this episode, the show “Xena: Warrior Princess” is mentioned. So it existed.. so when Scully meets the LL character later, doesn’t she think it’s a dead ringer for Xena? Haha

Also Mulder is funny when he likes that sexy woman avatar.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:00 AM
Elite Fan

I hated how short Scully had her hair in the second half of season 7, it looked so severe. And I guess she must have agreed because she started growing it out after that, and it was never so short again as it used to be in earlier seasons

And First Person Shooter is pretty bad imho, but it does have its funny moments too in a cheesy kind of way, it was funny seeing Mulder and Scully as video game characters. I agree that it’s definitely not the worst one! That would be Fight Club
Old 05-21-2018, 01:43 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrellingTralk (View Post)
I hated how short Scully had her hair in the second half of season 7, it looked so severe. And I guess she must have agreed because she started growing it out after that, and it was never so short again as it used to be in earlier seasons

And First Person Shooter is pretty bad imho, but it does have its funny moments too in a cheesy kind of way, it was funny seeing Mulder and Scully as video game characters. I agree that it’s definitely not the worst one! That would be Fight Club

Just watched ALL SOULS from s5 yesterday. I had no interest in the characters or its resolution. Taking the Scully /Emily / Faith story way too far
Old 05-22-2018, 01:55 PM
Part-Time Fan

Folie a deux S5 Ep19
A tense and clever episode which pulls from numerous previous eps like Duane barry to name one but still manages to have a feel of originality. Mulder is starting to flag and doubt his role but also it seems his trust of Skinners motives in assigning him the case and the relationship with Scully is tested again.
His feeling that this is just a routine case that even required only him to go shows he is starting to get disillusioned again with the x files but his belief in the unusual is soon reinforced so much so that we start to see that hunger and enthusiasm not really seen throughout s5. He sees things from a different angle no one else is prepared to entertain and once again no one else believes him, once again he is right and i felt that was the where this episode held its best twist, where all the people were actually killed but somehow kept 'alive' to deceive everyone.
The monster is not great but i think they may have run out of money more than ideas being the seasons penultimate episode. It doesn't spoil it as the sound effect is good and effective enough. The hostage scenes are excellent as well as the finale. It didn't quite descend into the comedy it could have which helped as it took itself seriously and again we are left hanging with the call centre scene at the end.
Vividly remembered this one though 20 years old. S5 still holding up as one of the most consistent.

9/10
Old 05-22-2018, 05:21 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
The X-Files
Info Center

Yeah, it was a severe look for Scully. And I noticed too, GA grew it out and never went back that short again. Now she has nice long, loose wavy hair length that suits her beauty!

Folie au deux is a good episode. I saw it recently again. This is the one where it got a bit shippy with Mulder telling Scully she was his one in 5 billion on earth to beleive him!

Last episode I watched: Syzygy, season 3. Where a young pre-Deadpool star Ryan Reynolds gets killed off by two teenage girls.

I like the smart remarks between M&S and Scully being all jealous of Dt. White.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:05 PM
Part-Time Fan

Funny i thought Syzygy dragged and was very predictable. One of the worst of s3. We knew who dunnit and they didn't have any character as villians. I was glad when it was over.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:49 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
The X-Files
Info Center

Quagmire

Always love the conversation on the rock, but feel bad about Scully and Queegueg. (Can’t spell it suddenly)That really did a number on her, as even in season 11, Scully had Queegueg as her security passcode to her house!

Also, funny that Mulder and Scully thought they were stranded in the lake but could have walked away at any time
Old 06-24-2018, 10:37 PM
Part-Time Fan

Very underrated episode that often goes forgotten. Plenty of homage to Jaws mixed with proper X Files tension. The bobbing head is very memorable.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:08 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
The X-Files
Info Center

Yeah there were some gross body parts floating around, ew!

I just watched “Grotesque” at work today. Pretty dark episode with Mulder slowly losing his mind a bit, profiling!
Old 06-28-2018, 04:22 AM
Part-Time Fan

Loved this one. A very good episode with big Se7en influences. Could have gone to cinema itself
Old 06-28-2018, 07:16 AM
Elite Fan

I loved the ending to Grotesque, so creepy!