Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-06-2018, 11:25 PM
Fan Forum Hero

S11.E08: Familiar (03-07-2018)

The Truth is Still Out There
Familiar
[episode discussion] Air Date: March 7, 2018

Synopsis: Mulder and Scully suspect that darker forces are at play as they investigate a brutal animal attack on a little boy in Connecticut.

Rules:
  1. - Be Respectful of other posters. Not everyone is going to agree or have the same views. Discussions are encouraged, but let’s keep things civil.
  2. - No Character/Actor Bashing. We love your opinions on storylines, but keep in mind that these are real people who are just trying to do the best with what they are given. We might not always like how things turn out, but just remember things can always get better.
  3. - Everything is a spoiler until it has aired.
  4. - Any talk of Illegal Downloading should not be brought up here. Live Streams & such can be discussed through PM's.
  5. - Most importantly, HAVE FUN!

Last edited by Penny Lane; 11-22-2020 at 07:59 PM
Old 03-07-2018, 11:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Really, X-Files? Really??

I don’t think I’ll say my thoughts on this episode to make sure I don’t potentially spoil much for any late viewers, but come on... I’m supposed to sleep peacefully tonight after this on my screen??

I think this episode had one of the highest body counts from an episode that I can remember for a while! Plus it felt like a creepy file from 1995!

Old 03-08-2018, 03:35 PM
Dedicated Fan

Just saw the episode. It was just like an old one, yay!
Old 03-11-2018, 05:29 PM
Master Fan

^
I agree! I have to say I was skeptical after reading some spoilers, but it worked. It was like an homage to the early days. Ironically, it was quite suspenseless because of the familiarity.

Favorite line of the episode:
Scully: "We've been over this: There is no such thing as spontaneous combustion."
X-files, epi #5-04, 'Detour'.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:15 PM
Passionate Fan

Another great episode. Like others have said very much old school X Files. The forest is getting plenty of action this season which is always a bonus.

Quote of the episode
Scully "that woman went up in flames"
Mukder " maybe it was the candles"

Still loving this laid back Mulder.
On a random note Gillian's voice is getting worse. I find it quite distracting.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:32 AM
Fan Forum Hero

She does sound really husky doesn’t she, almost like she smokes heavily or something. It’s strange that it’s just a voice that she uses for Scully though apparently, I haven’t noticed her sounding that way in real life as much
Old 03-15-2018, 09:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I loved how this felt so old school X-Files. Creepy, woods, rain, hellhounds, kids dying, creepy nightmarish children’s characters and spells.

I liked how Mulder brought up the hellhound theory and Scully pauses and then gives up and asks him about it like she just has to give him his crazy theory.... and of course he’s right. And how Mulder is saying he’s seen a hellhound, how he makes himself sound crazy to others when he talks, but he’s telling the truth

That killing of the pedophile was brutal!

I loved the Mr. Chuckleteeth stalking people in the dark house and woods!

And weird how the little girl in the episode was named Emily and Scully didn’t even notice.

I think GA damaged her voice, perhaps during the Streetcar Names Desire play. Maybe she has to speak like that to help slowly heal her voice. But she does sound better in interviews. But she also sounded croaky in The Fall.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:51 PM
Passionate Fan

The beginning of this Ep made me think of the movie It. The bad guy appearing as a clown like figure, the little boy in the yellow rain coat being lured away. Creepy !

Not only is Gillian's voice croaky but she is also almost loud whispering at times. Like she is trying to protect her vocal chords. Shockingly I am finding it easier to understand Mulder more than Scully this season.