Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 02-27-2018, 10:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

S11.E07: Rm9sbg93zxjz (02-28-2018)

The Truth is Still Out There
Rm9sbG93ZXJz
[episode discussion] Air Date: February 28, 2018

Synopsis: In a world of ever-increasing automation and artificial intelligence, Mulder and Scully find themselves targets in a deadly game of cat and mouse.

Rules:
  1. - Be Respectful of other posters. Not everyone is going to agree or have the same views. Discussions are encouraged, but let’s keep things civil.
  2. - No Character/Actor Bashing. We love your opinions on storylines, but keep in mind that these are real people who are just trying to do the best with what they are given. We might not always like how things turn out, but just remember things can always get better.
  3. - Everything is a spoiler until it has aired.
  4. - Any talk of Illegal Downloading should not be brought up here. Live Streams & such can be discussed through PM's.
  5. - Most importantly, HAVE FUN!

Last edited by Penny Lane; 11-22-2020 at 07:56 PM
Old 02-27-2018, 11:17 AM
Master Fan

What kind of title is that?!?
X-files, epi #5-04, 'Detour'.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:32 AM
Fan Forum Hero

It actually means something, like a code!

I always have difficulty remembering or spelling X-Files episode titles which tend to be Latin words, but this one is probably gonna be the worst one for trying to refer to it in the future. As if I can remember that.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:35 AM
Master Fan

It reads like the password to my WIFI.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

The title is too much
Old 02-28-2018, 07:22 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason to believe (View Post)
I always have difficulty remembering or spelling X-Files episode titles which tend to be Latin words, but this one is probably gonna be the worst one for trying to refer to it in the future. As if I can remember that.
...the one with the letters and numbers

~Susanne ~
Old 02-28-2018, 10:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Well, this is a problem for me cause that might be my favorite episode for season 11.... but I’ll never be able to refer to it by it’s full title whenever I want... so I may have to refer to it like a “Friends” title... it’s “The One with Scully’s Pink Vibe”, ok?

I have no idea when anyone else sees this so, I’m just saying .... spoilers from me in this post!

But first, this episode is exactly why I still don’t own a smart phone, or a smart tv, and I never spoke to “Alexa”, the Amazon assistant at my parents condo... they said if you get lonely at the condo, you can ask Alexa something. ..... Um, no thanks. And I always thought if all your appliances are connected to the internet like fridges are now... won’t someone be able to hack them eventually and your entire house can turn against you?? Am I just wrong in still hanging onto the old school way of life?? I just don’t beleive why my fridge should know the weather!

Anyway... Ok, I just started watching tv through headphones. But this was the wrong X-Files to start that with with the constant droning, and buzzing sounds right in my ears... like a fly inside my ear. *shudder*

So things I liked:
Scully laughing! that’s rare! She hardly smiles, and this time she laughed!
Scully’s password for her security system being “Queequeg”! Where was Dagoo by the way?
Scully’s “personal massager” is pink?
The frustrating password setting
Mulder eating sunflower seeds
HAND SEX at the end,
Blob fish is indeed a real thing
Scully yelling at the car
Mulder talking to himself about the idiocy of his car’s AI with his song requests!
Scully’s fridge suggesting a birthday cake for Skinner’s birthday

All that drama over a restaurant server tip?? Why is future AI so moody?? And easily offended?

I’m sure there is more I liked, but this will do for now!

No explanation for Scully’s haircut!

Last edited by reason to believe; 02-28-2018 at 10:37 PM
Old 03-01-2018, 06:48 AM
Fan Forum Hero

The X-Files’ Tries Something Delightfully New With ‘Rm9sbG93ZXJz
Old 03-01-2018, 11:03 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah I really loved the episode probably my fave of the season as well!

The episode totally played into my paranoia about AI. I totally don't trust AI & completely believe that one day they will become self aware & dangerous just like in terminator. & despite this I own a smartphone & a smart tv.

At first I was sort of confused as to why there was hardly any dialogue in the ep but then I remembered that's basically how things are nowadays with people & their smart phones. I walked into a hotel lobby on my way to a restaurant and everyone had their heads down on their phones not talking to each other. & I'm just as guilty b/c I'd be lost without my phone. I'm on it all the time!

I knew all along that the problems all started when Mulder didn't tip & Scully didn't accept the friend request. I was like OMG it has feelings & they're hurt & kept yelling for Mulder to just give the thing a tip! Also how creepy was that shot when Mulder's car led him back to the restaurant and you could see all those little red robot eyes staring at him from inside?

Also of course loved the final shot of Scully taking Mulder's hand!

On a shallow note I'm not too fond of the new Scully wig. I liked the longer one better. I know old school Scully had short hair but I grew accustomed to it being long.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:38 PM
Loyal Fan

I really loved that episode and I especially liked the fact that they didn't talk much. So the audience could concentrate on the way they acted with each other and that was very sweet. We also got a glimpse of the privat Mulder. The way he watched TV and made funny gestures was hilarous! He was really bored without his Scully. And the privat Scully with her bath salt (we know she likes taking a bath) and her 'personal manager' that showed us her sensual part of personality. And their hand holding at the end was so intimate and wonderful...yes I also like them without talking.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Exclusive: X-Files writers Kristen Cloke and Shannon Hamblin explain 'Rm9sbG93ZXJz'
Old 03-01-2018, 01:38 PM
Master Fan

Great episode!

Just two words: Personal massager.

I like how the painting 'Nighthawks' was referenced TWICE during the episode:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SannraB (View Post)
I really loved that episode and I especially liked the fact that they didn't talk much.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:21 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, I noticed that painting similarity in the opening shot!

It’s funny how they continued the fact that Mulder is a cheap tipper. He tipped the pizza kid two cents in “Bad Blood” and now here, he only gave the lowest tip possible at the very last second.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:39 PM
Dedicated Fan

Anyone else reminded of Black Mirror's Metalhead while watching this ep?
Old 03-08-2018, 02:03 AM
Passionate Fan

Really enjoyed this episode for all the points you have all mentioned.

I did however miss the dialogue. For me their banter is everything and I did feel a bit bereft without it. The hand hold at the end was everything though.