Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2008, 08:28 AM
Master Fan

The X-Files Movie [I Want to Believe] Discussion Thread #14: "To find the truth, you must believe. To understand the truth, you have to believe."

Previous Threads
001; 002; 003; 004; 005;
006; 007; 008; 009; 010;
011; 012; 013; 014; 015;

Chat about the X-Files (the greatest show of all time) here!

Last edited by Penny Lane; 09-19-2020 at 09:15 PM
Old 07-30-2008, 08:53 AM
Master Fan

You know comparing these two movies is like comparing apples and oranges. One is this big summer movie while the other is a more intimate look at the characters. Personally I like IWTB more than FTF. I still remember going to the cinema to see FTF and being just totally dissapointed by it. The focus of that movie was way too much on the special effects for my liking. Now with IWTB (although this might have something to do with just low expectations) I found myself really enjoying. The inside jokes and Mulder's one linners had me laughing throughout the movie and kept me entertained the first and second times I saw it, but then the 3rd time I really paid attention to the story arc of M&S (mostly Scully, since it's very Scullycentric). It was like seeing an entirely different movie. And I really have come to appreciate it more the more I think about it. All in all, I've seen FTF a total of 5 times, I've already seen IWTB 3 times and plan on seeing it many times more when I get the DVD .
Old 07-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Part-Time Fan

I loved both FTF and IWTB, but for totally different reasons.

When FTF came out, the show was popular and people wanted to see a more "conspiracy" movie about the XF, which they got...and it was a classic conspiracy "episode" if you will because it left more questions than answers AND it added to the unresolved sexual tension because of that stupid bee

IWTB appeals more to the 'shippers and long time series fans due to the time after the series it was released, as well as how it was more "Scully-centric" as compared to the first film (which is more Mulder-centric). It also gives a more intimate look at the post-FBI lives and love of M&S. I guess FTF appeals to my XF as a show side, whereas IWTB appears to my squishy M&S are still together side. Seeing IWTB was like meeting up with old friends I lost contact with, and realizing that while time had passed, they hadn't changed in my eyes. That was quite comforting. ♥♥♥
Old 07-30-2008, 10:36 AM
Master Fan

I actually liked IWTB better.
It made me feel warm and fuzzy inside......
X-files, epi #5-04, 'Detour'.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:54 AM
Master Fan

So we have two people going for IWtB and we have Colleen sitting on the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Stewie (View Post)
Awwwwww! How sweet.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Master Fan

Put me down for the first movie, sir.

First and foremost, I'm not a film critic (despite all the film classes I've been taking ), and I'm definitely not one of those nitpicky types (I tackle every episode I've watched in this series optimistically; hell I actually rather liked the last two seasons. Well, mostly because of Doggett and Scully but that's a shippy thing. )

So with that in mind, I must say that this movie was not all it could have been. Whether it's been too long since the series ended, or too mundane to live up to the X-Files name, this movie just didn't do it for me. That's not to say I didn't like because I did. In fact, as an official X-Phile, I'm legally required to watch this movie at least two more times and buy the DVD as soon as it comes out. The problem is that the two movies are so incredibly different (kind of like what Cindy said), that trying to compare one with the other is kind of unfair.
Those who liked Myth Arc and action probably loved the first movie more, and those who liked the MOTW episodes probably liked this second movie more. That's not to say that those who like the former will hate this movie. For example, sometimes I like the Monster of the Week episodes and sometimes I like the Myth Arc. Sometimes I like the fun flirtiness of Mulder and Scully and sometimes I like the serious angst. (Okay, okay, more often I liked the fun side to them.) The first movie had cute, fun, sexual tension MSR and the second had serious, mid relationship tension MSR. Maybe the fact the I like the fun aspect has added to my preference of one over the other, especially since I'm a shipper and much of my enjoyment comes from the Mulder & Scully interaction.

Without getting into too much detail for those who still haven't seen the movie (and for some unknown reason are reading this thread! ) I wasn't a fan of the plot. Or rather, I should say plots. That's right, this movie had an A plot (the Mulder action) and a B plot (Doctor Scully). I was not a fan of the B plot, mostly because it meant our two favorite agents were apart way longer than usual. For something that's not Myth Arc, this movie sure took advantage of the oft used Myth-Arc Split-Up. I wouldn't be nearly as annoyed that our duo didn't really solve the case together if Scully's B plot didn't seem so boring and unnecessary. It was like Carter realized Gillian wasn't going to be doing all the cool action scenes (surprise, surprise) and he needed to shoehorn some more screentime to justify her having equal billing. So, he decided to give us a dying boy and flimsily tie it into the case that Mulder is working on (like near the end of the movie). I guess they also wanted to show off Gillian's emotional range but if I wanted to see Scully angst, I'd re-watch most of the series. Please.

Mulder's A plot is... well I know they weren't doing the conspiracy thing but the only weird thing about the case is the supposed psychic who pisses Scully off because he's a child molester. And a priest. And a mystical man whose words help her out in an obtuse way... Other than that we get a kidnapped FBI agent, a black market ring of organ harvesters, a second kidnapping, and a whole lot of snow. It was more like a cop/drama mystery, and the creator is just lucky I like cop/drama mysteries or I'd be demanding a refund for being guided into the wrong movie. (If I didn't know Xzibit was being cast in the movie, I'd be wondering when they did a sequel to XXX: State of the Union. Oh, that movie has the letter 'X' in it too! Clever! And Xzibit's name begins with the letter 'X'! Oh, now I see why Carter cast him... and I thought I had a lousy sense of humor. )

Last but not least, the saving grace of this film (to an extent) is the Mulder and Scully moments. BTW, I'm not a big fan of beards. Just want to throw that out there. So my enjoyment of the first half was kind of hampered as I tried to get accustomed to the change. Then when I finally got used to it, a good portion of the second half was me trying to get over the return to normal. Why? Why grow a beard so thick and then shave it off mid-way? I know Mulder became a recluse since we last saw him (just finished the series after watching the movie and what happened to New Mexico?) but the facial hair was just plain bothersome for me, and I know it's more of a personal thing, but there ya go. So where was I? Oh yeah, Mulder and Scully. They're finally in an actual, factual relationship. Having actual, casual sex. Well implied sex, anyway. Good enough for me. And there are no bees to interrupt their kiss at the very end. But the cringe-enducing angst they had to go through to get to that point, DEAR GOD, haven't the shippers been through enough? See, this is why I turn to Doggett and Scully from time to time. Goodness knows I love Mulder but Scully had a point with her speech on his inner darkness and her wanting to get away from it. For a good minute I thought they were actually going to break up in this film and while a part of me was thinking that would be a shame since we never saw them long enough to see how adorable they'd be as a couple, another part of me figured that good relationships aren't implied sex and bonding over conspiracies that are saddeningly absent from this film. Someday their differences and their demons are going to come and bite them in the ass. Before season 8, I dreaded the rumors that Mulder and Scully would be broken up at the beginning of the film. Now I wish they would've have taken some time apart. It would've given them a chance to see if they'll truly make it (and reaffirm my waning belief in them as a couple) and at the very least, it would've given this movie a decent twist. I'll stop now before the shippers sick the bees on me.

In short, (despite my complaining) I though the movie was good but in my opinion. Fight The Future is way better. If I ever lose my MSR shipper way (it's been seriously fluctuating lately; my love for Doggett is making me a very confused multishipper) I know I can turn to the first movie and realize that there was a reason I fell for this couple long before I got my first season of the X-Files. The first movie has the flirtiness and action I love from this show and the second movie just does not. Simple as that.

If I were to rate this movie, I'd give it a solid 7 out of 10.
It gets a 6 for the plot and an 8 for the MSR moments which brings the movie as a whole to the happy medium of 7. (You should all see how harsh this movie got reviewed online by many a critic. Hoo boy. Truly this is a movie only a mother – or an X-Phile – can love.)
Old 08-03-2008, 03:35 AM
Obsessed Fan

Oh man, thats a tough choice...

I loved FTF because it felt like a proper X-File, Mulder being all rebellious and Scully telling him to stay put but going with him anyway. I preferred the story in FTF, there was more going on and M&S were getting proper involved and we were following them along the way. This movie was all about Mulder, and his beliefs, more than it was about Scully. Which is no bad thing

However... I loved IWTB because of the shipper stuff. I loved all the little arguments whilst interrogating someone, and that they knew the right thing to say to wind each other up. And the fact that even after all they've said to each other it doesn't drive them apart. Not thats real love! What I didn't like about the movie was their involvement with the case, or at least Mulders part in it. Scully had her own story line with the sick boy, but Mulder was just kind of wandering around looking a bit lost I felt this movie was more about Scully than the first one. I feel like the character of Scully has evolved the most, and it was wonderful to see her more emotional but still very feisty.

But hey, they aren't FBI anymore so their involvement would be kind of limited. But I feel the movie really showed how their relationship has changed over the years, and that Mulder is still somewhat rebellious and Scully is still telling him to stay put.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:11 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
I actually liked IWTB better.
Who would've ever thought an X-Files movie would do that.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:20 AM
Master Fan

^
Hehe, yeah..... But seriously: it felt awesome to see them again, no?
Now we know they're doing OK. They still got 'it'.

....and they still got Skinman!
X-files, epi #5-04, 'Detour'.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:50 AM
Master Fan

I still prefer FTF. It was a completely other feeling when I watched it. I was young (lol) and the hype about the show couldn't be higher. And like Mimimich pointed out, it felt more like X Files than IWTB did. I'm glad we got the shipper scenes in this movie, it was about time but the story just wasn't good.

I don't believe I'm saying this but I miss the myth arc lol.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
^
Hehe, yeah..... But seriously: it felt awesome to see them again, no?
Now we know they're doing OK. They still got 'it'.

....and they still got Skinman!
It was great .

I've noticed there's been a lot of love for Skinman lately .
Old 08-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Master Fan

Looks like Mimmich nailed my main points in a neat little package. For the most part, I agree with her too.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:25 PM
Master Fan

So IWtB started out strong but FtF is now making a comeback

I'll need to think about IWtB a little bit more before coming to a decision

Old 08-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Obsessed Fan

I'm going with IWTB. I like the philosophical elements, and I usually do prefer smaller, character-driven movies that make me think over big action-y blockbusters that FTF would be filed under.

On another note, I can't decide if I like the real kiss in IWTB or the almost kiss in FTF more. It might make me a bad shipper, but I really love the not-kiss. There's such great build up, it means so much, there's just so much emotion there, and their so close to actually kissing it's crazy. It's definitely the greatest almost kiss I've ever seen. On the other hand, in IWTB they actually do kiss, and in good lighting, no less!

icon credit- rockin_graphix Thanks!
Old 08-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Part-Time Fan

I'm still on the fence...they are soooo different.

But I totally agree with the awesomeness of the "non-kiss" in FTF.