Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2020, 10:24 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I’m finding season 4 more interesting so far than what I watched of season 1, maybe because I’m a lot more familiar with these events then I was with the 1950’s

And there has been a very long history of conflict between Britain and Ireland unfortunately!
Old 11-15-2020, 10:34 AM
Fan Forum Star

I liked the first episode but it’s not the kind of show I can binge so I’ll watch one episode a day.

It’s amazing how I didn’t feel like I was watching Gillian in the role but a different actor. I definitely don’t like Thatcher. She’s a misogynist and the sexism on this show already disgusts me. How can you be a woman and say women are not worthy of working in high ranking positions? Does she think she’s better than them or does she consider herself a man?

I had a little trouble following the story and remembering everyone’s name. So far I don’t like anyone from the royal family except the skinny one (maybe), I don’t know her name. I am dreading Diana joining the royal family because they legit ruined her life. I also hate how horrible her sister is to her.

I wonder how Peter Morgan knows so many intimate details of the family besides what was available in the press or if he just made it all up.
a meaningful, sane existence
Old 11-15-2020, 10:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Lane (View Post)
It’s amazing how I didn’t feel like I was watching Gillian in the role but a different actor. I definitely don’t like Thatcher. She’s a misogynist and the sexism on this show already disgusts me. How can you be a woman and say women are not worthy of working in high ranking positions? Does she think she’s better than them or does she consider herself a man?
Who knows, but I remember reading that the cause of women’s rights were actually set back during her time as Prime Minister because she refused to promote any women

Quote:
I had a little trouble following the story and remembering everyone’s name. So far I don’t like anyone from the royal family except the skinny one (maybe)
Princess Anne?

Quote:
I wonder how Peter Morgan knows so many intimate details of the family besides what was available in the press or if he just made it all up.
Some of it was dramatic licence I believe, I read that the argument between Prince Charles and Lord Mountbatten (or however it’s spelt ) over Camilla never happened in reality, and that’s one of the things he’s upset about the show dramatising. There is quite a lot known about the royal families private lives though because of leaks coming from the palace, plus at one point the tabloids had a phone tap on Charle’s phone as well, some scandalous details came out about his affair with Camilla when they taped their phone sex. They won’t be covering that on the show though apparently
Old 11-15-2020, 11:07 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrellingTralk (View Post)
Who knows, but I remember reading that the cause of women’s rights were actually set back during her time as Prime Minister because she refused to promote any women
That doesn’t surprise me at all. She already irritates me considerably with the way she kisses the Queen’s ass. That over dramatic curtsy in the beginning was so ridiculous.

Quote:
Princess Anne?
I guess? She seems very sassy and outspoken.

Quote:
Some of it was dramatic licence I believe, I read that the argument between Prince Charles and Lord Mountbatten (or however it’s spelt ) over Camilla never happened in reality, and that’s one of the things he’s upset about the show dramatising. There is quite a lot known about the royal families private lives though because of leaks coming from the palace, plus at one point the tabloids had a phone tap on Charle’s phone as well, some scandalous details came out about his affair with Camilla when they taped their phone sex. They won’t be covering that on the show though apparently
Yikes! So messy. I’m learning a lot about the royal family since I don’t know much besides what Diana went through because I liked her so I knew some stuff about her life.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:38 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh wow, I was gonna say Gillian is trending on Twitter right now and Did Margaret Thatcher have any kind of personality? But we already finished a thread and started another so I have to catch up
Old 11-15-2020, 11:44 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Lane (View Post)
I guess? She seems very sassy and outspoken.
She was pretty badass when she was younger, there was a kidnapping attempt on her in the 1970’s and she was fighting back and saying ‘not bloody likely’ when the man ordered her to get out of the car!

Old 11-15-2020, 11:47 AM
Fan Forum Star

We just started talking about the show, Leanne so you haven’t missed anything. I don’t like Thatcher at all. Her personality seems dry and she’s very concerned about impressing the Queen.

Wow, that’s crazy, Naomi! I can already tell Princess Anne will be my favorite.

Love those pics especially the second one.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:51 AM
Fan Forum Hero

From what I heard the Queen never cared much for Margaret Thatcher, so I wonder if they will be showing more conflict between them going into the series? I’ve only seen the first episode so far, but I might watch one more later. Certainly looks like Gillian is going to have a huge role anyway with lots of scenes!
Old 11-15-2020, 11:51 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Fun fact, I met Charles and Camilla when they came to Vancouver in 2009. It was pouring and the crowd wasn’t big so I got shake hands and exchange words.

My mom saw the Queen in person.

And my sister actually went to William and Katherine’s wedding to hang out at the palace and she is interviewed and that ended up on the actual DVD of the whole event. plus she was invited to the Royal Garden party of the Queen when she was at Cambridge.

Wow, my nobody family has really had a lot of interactions with the Royals somehow
Old 11-15-2020, 11:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

That’s pretty cool! How did your sister get an invite to the wedding?
Old 11-15-2020, 11:55 AM
Fan Forum Star

I don’t care for Thatcher at all but I will bear it because of Gillian. She’s in six of the ten episodes I believe.

The only members of the royal family who I cared about was Princess Diana and her sons. I also like Meghan.

That’s awesome, Leanne!
Old 11-15-2020, 11:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Old 11-15-2020, 11:57 AM
Fan Forum Hero

She didn’t get an invite to the wedding, she just went among the crowd to see them drive in and wave after.

But she did get invited to the Queen’s Garden Party, she was allowed to apply cause they invite various people in the regular population. She was a foreign student at Cambridge studying English history and applied and was lucky to receive an invitation! What a dream come true for her, she’s really into the Royals!
Old 11-15-2020, 11:59 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrellingTralk (View Post)
It’s so hard to stomach Thatcher but I’m rooting for Gillian. I suppose it speaks to her incredible acting that she’s making me dislike her so much.
Old 11-15-2020, 12:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

that’s the true talent of good acting. People on Twitter are saying they are feeling mixed emotions cause they love Gillian but she’s making them actually hate her with her acting of this character!