Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 07-18-2004, 09:17 PM
Master Fan

"Charity Drive" (1.05) Episode Discussion

"Charity Drive"

Episode #106.

Gob and Lindsay accuse Michael of being cold and uncharitable; Lindsay volunteers herself at a bachelorette auction to raise money for charity.

Originally aired Nov. 30, 2003.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:22 PM
Extreme Fan

This was only the second episode of AD that I'd ever seen but I absolutely loved it; it was genius. This show is so refreshingly hilarious that I'll definately been tuning in weekly from now on.

It's great to see a show where the entire cast is pitch perfect. The writing is also fantastic; I loved the way everything tied in together. When Michael was in the car with 'Lupe' and she saw the shovel, the nail polish, and the skull I couldn't help but laugh. And the ending showing George Michael and Michael in the cop car was priceless seeing as they were just trying to do what they thought was right and ended up paying for it.

Chelsea
Old 07-19-2004, 06:25 AM
Absolute Fan

I loved this episode! It's still hilarious, and I love the Mr. Banana Grabber cartoon.

Buster's "grand gesture" in bidding on the wrong Lucille was just so great, and Lucille II seemed so delighted and touched.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:28 AM
Extreme Fan

Ah yes, the Mr. Banana Grabber cartoon was hilarious. At the end of the show when it said, 'Next week on Arrested Development' and showed Gob watching the cartoon on tv lamenting about giving up the animation rights had me doubled over with laughter.

One other thing I truly enjoyed was the absence of the dreaded laugh track. Laugh tracks are obnoxious; I'm done with normal, predictable sitcoms; who needs one when there's something genius like AD on?

I'm trying to get my hands on the rest of this season's episodes, I can't wait to see more.

Chelsea
Old 07-19-2004, 03:43 PM
Absolute Fan

The rest of the season is reruning over the summer, and the season 1 DVDs will come out sometime before season 2 starts. We don't know an exact date yet.

Quote:
One other thing I truly enjoyed was the absence of the dreaded laugh track. Laugh tracks are obnoxious; I'm done with normal, predictable sitcoms; who needs one when there's something genius like AD on?
Yeah, there's no laugh track on AD at all! It's really great.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:26 PM
Extreme Fan

Excellent, I can get myself the season one DVDs and catch up. Thanks for the information, Cress.

I'm glad that Fox is airing reruns during the summer; hopefully the show will pick up some viewers.

Chelsea
Old 07-19-2004, 05:21 PM
Absolute Fan

You're welcome. Oh, and if you wanna see a list of all the episodes in season 1, see this thread.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:30 PM
Dedicated Fan

Okay I have the dumbest question. I've seen this episode twice (not thinking to tape it either time) and I still have the same question. What happens to GOB so he keeps whistling? I mean, I know he couldn't have a frozen banana so he got something else (a candy apple?) and....?
Tobias: You know, first of all, we are doing this for her, okay, because neither one of us wants to get divorced. And second-of-ly, I know you’re the big marriage expert. Oh, I’m sorry. I forgot. Your wife is dead.

---
Michael: That cousin of yours is a hell of a girl. It’s too bad you can’t date her.

George Michael: No, I meant... Wait, you wouldn’t have a problem with that? Nothing!
Old 07-23-2004, 07:07 AM
Absolute Fan

Yeah, he bought a candy apple and bit into it, but he chipped his tooth or something, which caused him to whistle. Later, George said that GOB should see a dentist when they were talking at the jail.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:27 AM
Dedicated Fan

Thanks, Cress. I knew it had something to do with the apple, but I just couldn't figure out what happened to make him whistle.

I did love that line with George in jail though.
Tobias: You know, first of all, we are doing this for her, okay, because neither one of us wants to get divorced. And second-of-ly, I know you’re the big marriage expert. Oh, I’m sorry. I forgot. Your wife is dead.

---
Michael: That cousin of yours is a hell of a girl. It’s too bad you can’t date her.

George Michael: No, I meant... Wait, you wouldn’t have a problem with that? Nothing!