Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 12-04-2004, 05:44 PM
Extreme Fan

The AD Pop Culture References Thread: Brian Doyle Murray is a Coward

In "Missing Kitty" James Lipton says that there's only one man he's ever called a coward - Brian Doyle Murray. I did a bit of research and apparently he's Bill Murray's brother and does the voice of the Flying Dutchman on SpongeBob SquarePants. I don't know why he called him a coward, though.

This got me thinking about another reason this show is so great - all the obscure and not-so-obscure references: George Michael of "Wham" fame, Desi Arnaz (the Desi awards), even the ridiculous looking man dressed to look like a boy in Marta's soap opera, "El Amor Prohibido." I think he's based on a Mexican kid's show called "El Chavo del Ocho," in which adult actors dressed up like children. (The bumblebee on "The Simpsons" is based on "El Chapulin Colorado," another sketch from that show.)

I'm sure there are plenty more I'm forgetting. If you've got any, post them here!
Old 12-04-2004, 06:05 PM
Absolute Fan

When Buster got that note from Lucille II, his mom said, "He gets one note, and he thinks he's Steve McQueen."

Of course, they also had Carl Weathers on the show and referred to his movies, like when Maeby said Tobias had "a crush on Action Jackson." And when Barry was in the bathroom in front of the mirror, he did that Fonzie move of starting to comb his hair, then stopping.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:08 AM
Dedicated Fan

I wish I had the exact quote but there's that one episode where Tobias says something about not being a "DeNiro, a Regis or a Pinkett-Smith."
Tobias: You know, first of all, we are doing this for her, okay, because neither one of us wants to get divorced. And second-of-ly, I know you’re the big marriage expert. Oh, I’m sorry. I forgot. Your wife is dead.

---
Michael: That cousin of yours is a hell of a girl. It’s too bad you can’t date her.

George Michael: No, I meant... Wait, you wouldn’t have a problem with that? Nothing!
Old 12-05-2004, 11:05 AM
Obsessed Fan

Tobias wants to have his own "Alias type show"... and with cat-like moves that he has Jennifer Garner better look out.

Thank god these shows aren't on at the same time again this season.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:14 PM
Addicted Fan

I loved when they referenced Fahrenheit 9/11 in the season premiere...Gob sitting with his discovery for 7 minutes.

icon credit
Old 12-05-2004, 06:43 PM
Extreme Fan

I was watching "Let Them Eat Cake" today and noticed on the board in the hospital it was written that Nurse Ratchet was on duty. The crazy nurse from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was named Ratched. Coincidence?

Oh, and Tobias once said he felt a little like Mary without Peter and Paul.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:56 PM
Absolute Fan

Oh, and all the Atkin's diet jokes in that episode! It was so great they were talking about low carbs and not being able to eat a hamburger with fries.

GOB: What about macaroni--let me finish--salad?
Old 12-07-2004, 07:00 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by alli balli
I loved when they referenced Fahrenheit 9/11 in the season premiere...Gob sitting with his discovery for 7 minutes.
I still haven't seen Fahrenheit 9/11 can you elaborate for me?
Old 12-08-2004, 02:26 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Also this is more political than pop culture. The moment where the Army is so desparate for people that they accept Buster! We're running out of manpower, supplies, and money for the war. So that was funny (and true, and unfortunately sad).

I also liked the episode where George Michael is afraid to visit George Sr. b/c he accidentally saw "Oz" on TV. He thought it was the "Wizard of Oz."

For those of you that might not know. OZ is a prison drama with lots of rapes, beatings and murders.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:12 PM
Extreme Fan

They referenced The Wizard of Oz again when Tobias inadvertently led White Power Bill to committ suicide and then the inmates called him Dorothy 'cause he killed the Wicked Witch.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:34 AM
Dedicated Fan

Don't forget when Jessie called George Michael "Opie." Not just a reference, but a meta reference.
Tobias: You know, first of all, we are doing this for her, okay, because neither one of us wants to get divorced. And second-of-ly, I know you’re the big marriage expert. Oh, I’m sorry. I forgot. Your wife is dead.

---
Michael: That cousin of yours is a hell of a girl. It’s too bad you can’t date her.

George Michael: No, I meant... Wait, you wouldn’t have a problem with that? Nothing!
Old 01-03-2005, 03:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

When Lucille I was trying to set up Lucille II with Carl Weathers she said to Buster, "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?"

GWCTD was a famous Hepburn/Tracy movie in which their daughter brings home her black fiance. It was one of the first movies to deal with interracial romance.

I was a little too proud of myself when I picked that one up.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:41 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer78
When Lucille I was trying to set up Lucille II with Carl Weathers she said to Buster, "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?"

GWCTD was a famous Hepburn/Tracy movie in which their daughter brings home her black fiance. It was one of the first movies to deal with interracial romance.

I was a little too proud of myself when I picked that one up.
Ooh, that is a good one. I've seen the movie various times but didn't notice that one. The episode, "Not Without My Daughter," is a reference to the Sally Field movie.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:11 PM
New Fan

In Good Grief, when Ann breaks up with George Michael, he walks past a red dog house with what looked like Snoopy on top.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

I love that one