Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 06-04-2006, 09:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbi
Yeah, it would have been fascinating to see if the "Tallies" had their own experience with the "monster" in whatever form it took. Even if we didn't see the actual incident, Ana Lucia and Jack talking about it would have been intriguing if for no other reason to know what they each thought it was, and why it was so gone quiet so suddenly.
Yeah, i feel it would have been better if the experiences of the "tailes" and the "fusies" intermingled a bit more...if at least for the purpose of bonding the two groups closer together. In fact, it surprised me a bit that Jack and Ana, supposed leaders of their respective groups, didn't have a bit more interaction/discussion that involved some of this. About the only piece of information that was passed between the two was the confirmation from Ana to Jack that she indeed had a close encounters with one of these "Others" (Goodwin) and succeeded in killing him!

Quote:
Also, the monster very well could have come up in conversation when Locke and Mr. Eko were on Mr. Eko's adventure and they discovered the Pearl station. Lord knows there was enough strange phenomenon transpiring between the two with interlocking dreams and exchange of faiths.

Eh...
Yes, a very possible scenerio.
But then again, we were left assuming alot of things in season 2, weren't we?

Quote:
I guess we just see the "monster" and any explaination of it's true form differently. Sure, I want to know what it is, but the "monster" very well may be one of the only mysteries of the island I'm more than willing to wait until the series end for an explaination in absolute terms. As long as it continues to be a part of the show, integrated in a way that the characters have to respond to it, or we learn a little bit more about it's special properties via the characters...then I'm all for it remaining a mystery.
Yes. Agreed that we are coming at it differently.

But i do also agree with you on the point that i don't need/want the complete "origins" of the "monster" revealed to me. The mystery can be left alive for awhile to come on that one. The sudden shift/change in it's physical properties (or lack thereof ) is what confuses me! Unless, the writers intend to explain at some point that the "monster" can change it's form (from being invisible into black smoke) and it's true purpose serves more (like it's not 'only' a security system)? See, but that's how season 2 left me feeling...with a shift/change in direction void of a future explanation!

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I agree with you guys about the monster. First season had like developed the monster as this 'so called system' so I wasn't expecting that it'll just be a black smoke. I don't think it's just a black smoke. But in season two, yeah, they showed it as such, but no further explaination why did they introduced it as a different stuff back in season one to just a black smoke in season two.

And as for the character development. Season one definitely has this. They've itroduced them greatly and the amount of screen time weren't just for the people who has the flashback on that certain episode. I got lost, literally, with season two with them trying to develop further these characters they've presented us.

And there were stuff I thought they push it too much. Claire and Charlie got a bit of a story when she found out about the Virgin Mary. They didn't get much screen time if it was not their episode. Then on the season finale, Claire just accepted it and even kissed him. It would've been better if they (writers) had given much time (screentimefor that matter) so the audience will know how did they develop their feeling, what made Claire forgot everything?
Old 06-05-2006, 02:29 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Not to mention, by the latter part of S2, it's almost like the writers forgot they had a finale they needed to write
Oh, I so agree with that!!!
It's like there was no build up for a few episodes. All of a sudden they left for the jungle, Michael revealed as an Other just a second before the end [well, not literally] and they didn't even get caught at the very end of the finale, it wasn't the last scene which kinda lowered the cliff hanger vibe.
[Though I still don't believe that would've made a good cliff hanger]

Shannon's death was horrible for me. I think she was killed off very quickly and it gave her character no respect whatsoever. They quickly showed her body for a couple of episodes after the murder and then stuck her in the ground, said "we'll miss you" and bang - no more Shannon.
Jesus, even Sayid wasn't furious with Ana Lucia! He accepted the fact she was gone, just like the writers want us to accept it.
The way the killed her off was the first reason of why I lost respect to them. First out of many, unfortunately.
David Boreanaz & Emily Deschanel

Old 06-05-2006, 04:50 AM
Master Fan

I had MAJOR problems with Season 2, mostly because, unlike Season 1, Season 2 became storyline/plot driven, whereas Season 1 it was clear the show was character driven. First off, the problems with the characters THEMSELVES was my biggest issue. Jack, Sawyer, Locke, Charlie...WHAT HAPPENED TO THESE GUYS!? Jack got soo dark in a few episodes, Sawyer was sacrificed to become comic relief in unnecessary scenarios like the poker game, Locke became so hatch-obssessed and so un-Locke. CRYING? Locke doesn't cry like that! Locke is supposed to be a hunter, a believer. Now I don't mind giving Locke a vulnerable side, but the way they worked it in was horrible.

Second, the inconsistencies. Claire finds a brand-new medical hatch, doesn't tell ANYONE. Doesn't even tell Jack there's medical supplies in it or anything. Eko finds the monster, again, tells no one! Shannon is shot by another person, someone NOT part of their group. Instead of the AMAZING fall-out between these two groups, it fell flat. Almost like NOTHING had happened. And it was built up SO much, Collision was such a letdown for it. Furthermore, the entire tailie storylines falls insanely flat when the writers develop characters so poorly (like Ana Lucia) and only to kill them off later! What was the point of these characters???

Shiran pretty much summed up my thoughts on Shannnon's death, so I'll move on to my other poor fave, Libby. Now here's a character with AMAZING potential, you could've focused almost the entire storyline on her because there were SO many questions about her, and you had a powerhouse actress playing her. All a recipe for an amazing story, and instead, Libby was SHOVED into the background (and this is where I don't buy the lame excuse that Libby's death was planned) and only later after they created an extremely intriguing ending to Dave, they kill her. So NO follow-up to Libby? None to the Hurley/Libby connection? That is just weak, weak writing!

That said, Season 2 didn't dissappoint me with the storyline. While the character interactions were bad, and the characters themselves badly written, the introduction of Henry Gale, the Others with Alex, Desmond's return, working the hatch into the plane crash and explaining that the island was hidden was amazing. And I enjoyed the finale quite a bit.

The problem is balancing the characters with the mystery, and that's what they need to fix. Also, get rid of useless filler episodes like SOS and Fire & Water, that contribute NOTHING to the story. That way everything else won't seem fast paced.

So while I thought Season 2 was alright, in comparison to Season 1, it's a mess and one that needs to be fixed.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:24 AM
Master Fan

Liz, I think you summed it up well, no more filler episodes. They've introduced far too many moving parts into the storyline to waste time on filler episodes that aren't going to be touched upon, or given further explaination in the characters motivation.

I believe F + W would have been a brilliant episode had the audience been given a clearer idea of why Charlie just flipped out. He wasn't getting high. Okay, great. Was it this "illness" Rousseau mentioned back in S1? If it is, what are the symptoms? What prompted Charlie's dreams? Since his concern was for Aaron safety, would it not have made sense for perhaps visions of Ethan threatening not only Aaron but Claire...you know, something that connects prior events to current ones. It would have ampted the creep factor way up, and it would have been in line with the unexplained phenomenon of the island.

ETA:

Bringing Mavie's reply over from the S1 discussion thread:

Quote:
But that wouldn't magnify Michael's betrayal on them.
Yes it would. Okay, let's say that Libby wasn't involved, but it Michael would have hit Ana Lucia over the head, throwing her in the armoury, shooting himself, then letting Faux Henry go, and Faux Henry deciding to shoot Ana Lucia to revenge Goodwin's death? It would have lessened Michael's betrayal, but he still would have been guilty of betraying the camp. If Libby is in with the "Others", then Faux Henry could have intercepted Libby on her way to the hatch, and by the time the "fab four" made it back to the hatch, only Michael and Ana Lucia's body would be left. The Losties would be under the impression that Faux Henry abducted Libby, still giving Hurley motivation to go on the trek to get her back, and be pissed at Micheal for believing Faux Henry kidnapped her.

I don't know...just some alternatives...
Love is a smoke made with the fume of sighs. Being purged, a fire sparkling in lovers' eyes. Being vexed, a sea nourished with lovers' tears. What is it else? A madness most discreet, a choking gall and a preserving sweet. - William Shakespeare...

Last edited by Darbi; 06-05-2006 at 10:01 AM
Old 06-05-2006, 12:44 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Liz, I think you summed it up well, no more filler episodes. They've introduced far too many moving parts into the storyline to waste time on filler episodes that aren't going to be touched upon, or given further explaination in the characters motivation.

I believe F + W would have been a brilliant episode had the audience been given a clearer idea of why Charlie just flipped out. He wasn't getting high. Okay, great. Was it this "illness" Rousseau mentioned back in S1? If it is, what are the symptoms? What prompted Charlie's dreams? Since his concern was for Aaron safety, would it not have made sense for perhaps visions of Ethan threatening not only Aaron but Claire...you know, something that connects prior events to current ones. It would have ampted the creep factor way up, and it would have been in line with the unexplained phenomenon of the island.
The filler episodes are boring, and really unecessary. Seriously, did we need a Rose/Bernard flashback? Or his SOS signal? Not really. I really hope there's less of those next season.

Fire & Water was supposed to be a character study of Charlie. I sympathized with Charlie in Season 1, but in Season 2 he just got so possessive. Fire & Water was supposed to explain all that, but it failed. The show didn't address whether he was on drugs or not or why he had any motivation to take Aaron. I agree they could've handled it better, through the ways you mentioned. But I did think his flashback was really interesting. I liked how they explained the rift between him and his brother, and how Liam straightened out. It just would've been better had they worked it into the story.

And they also don't follow this one up well. That's also one of the reasons why there are so many storyline inconsistencies, characters like Charlie, Claire and Sayid become wallpaper, background material. That's one of the reasons the show is no longer character driven, they don't show balance the characters well this season at all.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

The writers appear to have set a negative trend this season when it comes to "character deaths." ALL of them have been pointless in my opinion and were unnecessary in moving the storyline ahead! The deaths this season have all been dealt with in a quick/swift manner and then the story moves right on! All the characters that died this season were underdeveloped or poorly developed! How was Shannon's death vital for the storyline? It wasn't. She became a "casuality" and her death served no purpose in the island story except that she was in the wrong place at the wrong time! Her storyline was in the beginning stages of development and her character was wasted.

Ana and Libby? Two more deaths that were absolutely pointless. The "Others" certainly didn't tell Michael to "kill" them for any given reason...Ana was essentially shot and killed because she was on guard over Henry and Michael needed to get to him so he could release him. Libby walks in at the wrong moment, gets shot, and is killed! Their deaths really served no purpose except to tell us "they got in the way." Michael's "betrayal" was already set-up through the fact that he intended to "trade" Jack/Kate/Sawyer/Hurley to the "Others" for Walt's return. The deaths weren't needed to drive that point home to the audience.

My final word on the "death" factor and LOST...while "deaths" may occur, i certainly do not want to watch every season and have 2-3 main characters die every season as i watch their character development rushed or unfinished. I hope the death trend is something that will break soon because it's not about shock value for me anymore...it's just plain annoying.

Now as far as the season finale went, i just found it predictable. And i'm completely baffled by the "run around" story between the "Others" and Jack/Kate/Sawyer! The writers are telling me that the "Others" went to all this trouble to snatch Michael just to have him lure Jack/Kate/Sawyer back to them when they already had ALL of them in their grasp during The Hunting Party? That just doesn't make any sense and it also contributes to my doubts on the whole Michael/Walt story "resolution" story and what the initial plans really might have been!

Also, as some of you have already pointed out and as much as i love Charlie/Claire, they jumped to a "kiss" without giving the audience any real sense of how they came to that resolution. And i wouldn't get too comfortable with it, especially with the whole "Sun" attack hanging over Charlie's head! Speaking of Sun's attempted "abduction"/attack, is that something the writers even intend to revisit because that's another plot point that seems to have just been dropped?

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:16 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
My final word on the "death" factor and LOST...while "deaths" may occur, i certainly do not want to watch every season and have 2-3 main characters die every season as i watch their character development rushed or unfinished. I hope the death trend is something that will break soon because it's not about shock value for me anymore...it's just plain annoying.
Can not tell you how annoying the "deaths" are becoming. Boone's death at the very least served as driving a future plot and how characters (Locke and Jack primarily) began to interact with one another. But Shannon's death? What purpose did it serve ultimately? The fact that Walt kept projecting himself before her wasn't explored any further than 'WKD', and it really didn't have any impact since Kate was already dealing with her own set of special issues at the time.

Ana Lucia's and Libby's death will more than likely go quietly in the night without much ado with the exception of the Sana sex in a future S/K/J triangle nonsense. Libby may...may fair a little better since we still don't know much about her. With enough time and space put between the bad publicity of CW's and MR's DUI's, ABC may allow the creators to utilize CW for what I think are unavoidable storylines that have to be told involving Libby's character and the overall storyline of both Desmond, Hurley and quite possible Widmore, Dharma and the "Others".
Love is a smoke made with the fume of sighs. Being purged, a fire sparkling in lovers' eyes. Being vexed, a sea nourished with lovers' tears. What is it else? A madness most discreet, a choking gall and a preserving sweet. - William Shakespeare...
Old 06-06-2006, 04:22 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz01
Shannon is shot by another person, someone NOT part of their group. Instead of the AMAZING fall-out between these two groups, it fell flat.
ITA.
Instead of hating the person who did this to Shannon, they embrace her and the rest of their group to them. Not that I'm saying there should be a war between the two camps, but come on - she just shot on of your own without even taking a moment! Show some respect.
David Boreanaz & Emily Deschanel

Old 06-06-2006, 03:56 PM
Extreme Fan

ok so i had never whatched lost until i bought the season 1 dvds and season 2 is over right? so i was wondering if anyone could tell me what happened in season 2 esspecialy in the season2 premiere cause in the season 1 finale charlie had one of the mary statues and i was wondering what he did with it so if anyone could tell me what happened in season 2 from beginning to end or if they could point me to a site that has transscripts or whatever.im dieing to know what happened and i wish i would have whatched lost sooner.you can pm me or just post it on this thread.thanks!
icon credit:dorkfish04