Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-06-2004, 04:35 PM
Obsessed Fan

Wonderfalls Being Shopped To Networks

For those that don't know:

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve...353|1|,00.html

What does this mean regarding the DVD campaign?

I think we should still continue... But there is possibly a slim chance of light at the end of this dim tunnel and we'llactually get to SEE the last nine episodes aired as well as possibly get the DVDs later. Either way, we hopefully win.

Also...

As far as online petitions go... I don't take any stock in them and naver have.

Physically writing and sending in letters, trinkets and other items that reflect the show's themes and fan's devotion (like little bronze lions; stuffed animals) say more than any online petition ever will.

This goes for both the DVD and episode pick ups campaigns.

So... Target 20th Century Fox for the DVDs and UPN, WB and any other network -- broadcast or cable -- You think may be interested in Wonderfalls and get the word out they're up for grabs because Brian Fuller and Tim Minear are!
Old 04-06-2004, 05:18 PM
Master Fan

I really hope that another network picks up the show. I think the WB would be smart to pick the show up since they cancelled Angel and they don't have that many great shows.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:43 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Liliya:
<STRONG>I really hope that another network picks up the show. I think the WB would be smart to pick the show up since they cancelled Angel and they don't have that many great shows.</STRONG>
Yea the WB should pick this show up since they are canceling Angel [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2004, 05:46 PM
Obsessed Fan

Oh man, it'd be brilliant if one of those networks picked up. I'd buy the DVD probably either way, but it's still sort of nice to know how much these guys believe in their show. As do we! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Icon by me!
Old 04-06-2004, 06:38 PM
Absolute Fan

It'd be great if we could get another network to take the show, but there are two huge risks. If we focus on getting another network and it doesn't work, we might lose our chance at getting the DVDs.

If another network does pick it up, there's always the chance that things will go well and we'll get past the first season. But there's also a chance that it'll get cancelled and we won't get to see much more than we already have...and again, at that point we might have lost our chance to get all 13 on DVD.

If another network does pick it up, what's going to happen? Are they going to re-air the first four? That would bore the people who watched it on FOX the first time around (although if the new network advertises enough, there could be enough new viewers to compensate for that). If they skip the first four episodes and go right into the fifth, they'll be screwing over all of the new viewers.

Just offering the alternate side here...whatever the campaign ends up focusing on, I'll be there.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:40 PM
Addicted Fan

at least they are giving it a chance somewhere else.

heres hoping
and WB needs soem good shows 2

Bhery
Old 04-06-2004, 07:20 PM
Addicted Fan

This is good news. All the posting around the internet, emailing , sending things in , signing petitions ~ I think it all helps show support for the show in some way, can't hurt. Actually sending stuff in and postcards being the most effective it seems from past campaigns. It would be a great show for the WB, then maybe I can forgive them for canceling Roswell [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] .
Old 04-06-2004, 07:52 PM
Extreme Fan

I hope that this show get picked up by another network. this show is too good to lose.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:38 PM
Total Fan

Everyone has to realize though, that if the show does continue on WB, it's going to be a watered down version. Sure, it'll still be a quality show, but by going to the Frog, the writers will lose creative freedom since they'll have to comply with the "safe for the whole family" vibe the WB's known for.

Just a thought.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:08 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Eidolon14:
<STRONG>Everyone has to realize though, that if the show does continue on WB, it's going to be a watered down version. Sure, it'll still be a quality show, but by going to the Frog, the writers will lose creative freedom since they'll have to comply with the "safe for the whole family" vibe the WB's known for.

Just a thought.</STRONG>
I'm not the WB's head of Decency (or whatever the title is); I'm not the FCC who is cracking down harder now than ever thanks to Janet Jackson's bull***** stunt at the Super Bowl...

But I still think if the WB were to get it, they could put it on at nine and be partially exempt from the family safe "rule" because look at Angel. It's at nine and has tackled a ton of more "adult" issues than any Jossverse show (in my opinion) and that is one reason it has such a following: It ISN'T afraid to be more adult and that is what Joss -- and Tim -- Said they wanted all along with Angel if he got his own series given Angel's (the character's) horrific background.

If it went to UPN the only problem I think they'd have is that it wouldn't quite "fit in" with ANYTHING they have on. It would definitely not fit in with "Enterprise" and most of the other shows on UPN that are actually watched are wrestling and some of the sitcoms (African American centered ones). It'd be the same situation as FOX even if they gave it more advertising because UPN is just a very, VERY niche audience (one part Ethnic minority/majority; other very specialized viewers like sci-fi and wrestling fans).

Honestly, if you were to ask me where WF should go as far as another network...

CABLE TV.

Either HBO or Showtime...

OR, if a non-premium channel, like sci-fi or Comedy Central (even though it is not a flat-out comedy, obviously).
Old 04-07-2004, 09:46 AM
Master Fan

You have a good point Unsilent Majority! i think it would do good on the WB! I personally never really watch UPN. I can't get into any of their shows!
Angel and BtVS did handle adult matters and well! They had a large following and I would love to believe that WF would do great there!

If it were to be picked up by HBO and Showtime! Hello, swear words you know they have been holding back on! It would be awesome for them to approach it in a different way and hopefully make them longer! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I'm crossing my fingers that it does get picked up.

I think even if it does get picked up, we shouldn't give up on DVD's! I think we can get both or at least get our dvd's! We have to have hope and fight for them! Right? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-07-2004, 03:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

Oh this is great!

I found this on another board(This is good news from a Canadian perspective anyway)
-------------------
May be hope that Wonderfalls could live on in Canada
From Voy.com/14567 - By AurraSing - 2004-04-7th

Date Posted: 09:25:31 04/05/04 Mon

Author: AurraSing

Subject: News for Canadian Wonderfalls fans.

In reply to: radioreverie ’s message, "Wonderfalls cancelled" on 04:07:26 04/04/04 Sun

A fellow poster over at the TrekBBS pointed this out:

I just got off the phone with my local Global TV affiliate. While the network is tied to the Fox broadcast of Wonderfalls -- which means they won’t be able to continue running the show now that Fox has cancelled it, the programming person tells me that Global execs are possibly considering buying the series, at the very least to complete its run.

Apparently, while the show tanked in the US (ratings-wise), it was considered a break out hit here in Canada.

If you are in Canada, and you’re a Wonderfalls fan, I urge you to call your local Global affiliate ASAP and express your support of the show. It won’t do our American friends much good, sadly, but at least it might impact whether we’re able to see the rest of the series up here. There is also always a remote chance that production could continue in Canada, a la Due South, though I couldn’t get the Global person to say whether that’s on the table or not (she probably wouldn’t know anyway).

Cheers!

Alex

I’ve already emailed Global Calgary (the closest station and one I do watch) and will try phoning as well. Can’t hurt,can it?
Old 04-07-2004, 03:28 PM
Obsessed Fan

It means a lot to Canada... specifically... Not just because it's a well liked show, but everything about the show is a Canadian production except for Bill Saddler [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

If Wonderfalls were to continue, there is no doubt in my mind it'd get at least one more season and that means jobs for the unions (grips, makeup, sound, etc) which is exactly why Canadians should fight for the show to be AIRED more than put on DV.

(I'm American by the way, but it would benefit ALL Wonderfall's fans MORE if the show were to AIR and go into another season (and maybe another) rather than only do 13 and go to DVD in the long run).
Old 04-07-2004, 08:47 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by UnsilentMajorty:
<STRONG>I'm American by the way, but it would benefit ALL Wonderfall's fans MORE if the show were to AIR and go into another season (and maybe another) rather than only do 13 and go to DVD in the long run.</STRONG>
I just have to provide the "what if?" in this situation. In the case that the show does get picked up again and goes horribly, with even lower ratings, it basically means that we'll never get the show back nor the DVDs. That's the risk we're taking if we keep supporting it being shopped to other networks.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:01 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Eidolon14:
<STRONG>

I just have to provide the "what if?" in this situation. In the case that the show does get picked up again and goes horribly, with even lower ratings, it basically means that we'll never get the show back nor the DVDs. That's the risk we're taking if we keep supporting it being shopped to other networks.</STRONG>
Well, not to be an ass... But this aspect of whether or not the show is being shopped around is completely out of our hands.

Tim Minear and Co. ARE actively shopping it themselves.

They are going to try every last option they have because even TIM said that a DVD release was slim given only four episodes have aired.

Yes, it is the fans job to convince 20th Century Fox otherwise... But since neither of the two options are gurantees... At least this way, there is more of a realistic chance we at least SEE the remaining nine episodes whereas a rejection of a DVD release is just a flat out NO with no recourse at all.

I'm not so much worried about the show being retooled.

I'm really not. I mean, WF is so "strange" already you can't DO anything else to make it "edgier" or even "family friendly".

As far as the language thing (edgy langugae) and adult subject matter... A lot of shows PRIDE themselves on these type of things days. And, I think Tim is smart enough to NOT market the show as a "family" show. That was the whole reason for the FOX fiasco: They wanted and were marketing the show THEY wanted and not what he MADE... Which I am sure he is going to make perfectly clear this time around.