Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 08-28-2004, 09:04 PM
Loyal Fan

Out Here On My Own?

I feel a little odd posting here now. Slicey made a very good point on the last Shane appreciation thread that most of the women posting here are lesbians. I love Katherine Moennig. So, I read all threads I can find about her and post if I feel I have something relevant to say.

However, I'm straight and I have a confession to make....I've never seen even one episode of The L Word. I plan to though. I promise! I sent Katherine Moenning an email and told her I wasn't going to watch it and she responded!!! And she urged me to watch it and I promised her I would but, I haven't yet.

So, I'm straight and I haven't seen The L Word. But, I love Katherine M. and I met Slicey and Oz! I hope that counts!

Hope you don't mind me posting here. But, this will become a bigger issue when like Slicey said, you get more straight women coming here to post.

I'll give you an example of what I mean. I saw the thread titled "Which hottie should visit our lovely girls?" And I checked out the thread and did a double take when I realized all the hotties were women. I was planning to add Ian Somerhalder to the list if he wasn't there already.

I didn't of course. But, what if I had? How would you guys have felt?
Old 08-29-2004, 04:00 AM
Elite Fan

I personally feel the more the merrier, ya know?

But, considering the subject matter of The L Word, the fact that alot of the regulars here are either gay or bisexual isn't all that unusual.

But if you feel comfy posting with us, then I would say you're more than welcome to jump right on into the fray

"Naya's my girl." - Heather Morris

|| Naya Rivera and Heather Morris Board Campaigns||Live Journal||Tumblr||
Old 08-29-2004, 09:58 AM
nki
Absolute Fan

you're not alone, Rose (can i call you that?)...i'm straight too, well, at least i know i am...i'm still young so how should i know?, i still haven't seen the l word but i'm a big kate fan... it's true that there are instances that i feel left out when i can't relate to certain topics but that's another puspose of these forums, you learn different things from different people...it's all about being open-minded and learning to respect people's opinions, besides...we're all fans, that's what really matters right? (like what the show implies...sexuality is fluid, you just go with the flow...same thing with fans, i guess)
Old 08-29-2004, 05:30 PM
Loyal Fan

Thanks you two . As long as you guys can feel comfy with me Cassandra! I don't call myself lilstinker for nothing.

like nki said it's all about respecting each other.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:16 PM
Elite Fan

I'm straight, too. I did post on the Hotties thread, with actresses I think are good-looking and would be able to "mesh" with the show and it's charactors, IMO. The fact that I don't date girls doesn't mean I can't appericate their beauty, can it?
Old 08-29-2004, 07:32 PM
Loyal Fan

Ack!!! I tell ya we still need to open that thread for the sexually confused!
Old 08-30-2004, 05:31 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by lilstinker
Ack!!! I tell ya we still need to open that thread for the sexually confused!
Speaking of confusion, I know when the L word first started airing, a lot of straight people watching the show were confused by the gay references in the dialogue.

On another forum we actually opened up a thread for the lesbians to explain the references to the straight viewers (i.e. the "uninitiated") to help them understand some of the meanings behind the dialogue - especially things that gay/bi viewers found funny that really slipped over many straight viewers heads.

I hope you decide to watch the show one day, lilstinker. After all... it's Kate, so how can you pass that up?? Sure she kisses a lot of ladies, but it's Kate...she could be on a straight show and still be persued by all the females. She does have that uncanny appeal.

Actually, all the actors are very good, and I'm sure you've seen some of them before. For instance: Jennifer Beals (Flashdance), Mia Kirshner (24), Laurel Holloman (Angel), Pam Grier (ugh...everything?!)

And for all the straight people out there who already watch the show - YOU'RE NOT ALONE!!! Actually, I hope more straight ladies start watching this show - - we already know how much they love QAF.

~Slicey
~Kate about her character Shane.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:46 AM
Elite Fan

Well for the record, I consider myself straight, but I've been curious in the past and I do have quiet alot of girl crushes.

To quote from "Coyote Ugly", I've played in the minors but never went pro.

Though to be honest, my sexual status didn't really have much to do with why I watched the show in the first place, it just sounded interesting.

Nikki
Old 08-30-2004, 07:21 AM
Loyal Fan

Hey Slicey!

I plan to watch at least one episode of The L Word. I haven't even seen one full Episode of "Sex and the City" yet.

I'll watch it though because like you said Katherine's in it. And I promised her, pinky promised her no doubt, that I would watch it.

I have three problems though....

First, and this may sound silly, but, I'm a single mom of two boys and we watch TV as a family. They are spoiled the rotteness I tell ya. I don't know how they got spoiled the rotteness but, nevertheless they are. If I stay up late they stay up late and they want me to read to them at night or stay with them till they fall asleep.....lil stinkers!

So, I don't feel comfortable watching The L Word with them around. I can get some free time though because I go to work later than they go to school. So once school starts.... However, there's problem number two.....

Second, I live in Canada. Which channel is it on here? We don't get Showtime in my city on cable. I haven't checked the satellite channels yet. I saw it's out on DVD now but, I don't want to buy the whole set without knowing if I like it or not.

Third, I'm old school. I don't like viewing sexually explicit stuff. I like it better when things are left to the imagination. And from looks of the screen captures I've see they don't leave much to the imagination.

Here's the reply to my email Katherine sent me August 4, 2003

dear rose,
thanks for writing, i cant believe people got ahold of those short films.
to be frank i didnt understand "ice people" when i was filming it so i cant give any answers regarding what it was supposed to mean.
"slo-mo" is alot of fun. i did that film with 2 very close friends.and we had sucha great time working on it.
hope you had fun at the gathering this year.its sounds like you did.
why wont you watch "the l word"? i hope you get a chance. its groundbreaking in the sense that noone has portrayed women like this for such an extended amount of time.gay or not it gives women a voice that is outside the box.
all the best to you and thanks again.......katherine

Last edited by lilstinker; 08-30-2004 at 07:31 AM
Old 08-30-2004, 02:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

First of all that's really cool that Kate emailed you.

Secondly, I'm straight but I don't really consider it a big deal. I have a really open mind about sexuality, I may not be sexually attracted to women but I still think women are really beautiful creatures. I think you should definitely give the show a chance. You don't have to worry about your kids seeing the show b/c it comes on really late like 10 (in the states I don't know about Canada). IMO sexuality is but a miniscule part of what the show is about. It's about these women w/careers & friendships who just happen to be lesbians. Yes they have thriving sex lives but that's human nature isn't it? Yes there is nudity & sex scenes (both gay & straight sex) but maybe if you see something too explicit that makes you uncomfortable you could just close your eyes or look away.

As for posting in the hotties thread, I don't really think anyone would have a problem if you mentioned male actors. The majority of the posters here are really cool. I'd actually love to see Ian Somerholder drop by. He could visit the girls but I don't think he'd get very lucky (although he & Alice could hook up since she's bi). He could definitely be their friend though. He could replace Eric Mabius as Tim.

Anyway hope you decide to stick it out w/the show & the board
Old 08-30-2004, 04:19 PM
Elite Fan

Mmmm Ian. If he were to guest star though I would be shipping him and Shane for the Kate/Ian factor.

Nikki
Old 08-31-2004, 02:16 PM
Loyal Fan

I just don't like seeing it all.

Which is sexier?

Seeing somebody about to peel off their bikini bottom and then watching the reaction of the person they're peeling their bikini bottom off for....

Or

Seeing somebody peeling off their bikini bottom.

I like the first scenario better

And my reasons go a bit deeper. But, I'm going to get up the nerve and write Katherine M an email first stating how I feel before I say anything about it here.

Thanks tragdey, Casandra, Slicey, nki, fetch and Nikki for all your encouragement. I'm not going to give up on the board. And I'll will watch one show because I promised I would. So, I best be getting to the tape trading thread!!!

And Nikki if Ian would guest star on the show and play opposite Shane I would think I died and went to heaven!!!!

Last edited by lilstinker; 08-31-2004 at 02:23 PM
Old 08-31-2004, 06:21 PM
Obsessed Fan

I´m all new to this board since I´ve only just started watching The L Word, actually I´ve only watched 1 episode so far so I´m way behind the rest of you..

I´ve been straight all my life, I find both men and women to be extremely gorgeous creatures but lately I´ve started to feel sexually attracted to women too so who know´s maybe deep down I´m actually bisexual or maybe I´m just curious

But like ~*Nikki*~ said I really don´t think my sexual status had anything to do with me starting to watch the show, I just thought it sounded really interesting..

Marianne
Old 09-01-2004, 12:54 AM
Master Fan

Well welcome *Marianne*, I'm glad The L Word community is growing, slowly but surely. It's good to have an addition.

I don't know. I'm not sure I'm supposed to be here because I'm crazy flaming. But yeah. There is a community of straight people watching the L Word just like there's a straight population watching Queer As Folk which I really don't like to reference, but yeah.

Tell me why the good ones are always straight? Why do people say the good ones are always gay? If you see any send'em my way! I don't see any in my general vicinity... sorry long story. Leaving. Promise. Leave you guys alone... going to read Shalimar/Emma fan fiction...
Old 09-01-2004, 03:08 AM
Loyal Fan

If I'm not allowed to feel uncomfortable posting here then neither are you