Moderator of ...
Milo Ventimiglia

This Is Us Episode Discussion ~ A Manny-Splendored

This is Us
Episode Discussion Thread
Season 2 Episode 2
A Manny-Splendored
Air Date: October 3, 2017

The entire Pearson family vists Kevin in LA for a "Manny" taping. In other events Jack confronts his demons in the wake of his fight with Rebecca

Articles for episode

http://ew.com/tv/2017/10/04/this-is-...am-alcoholism/

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...holism-1045324

http://www.vulture.com/2017/10/milo-...cks-death.html

Last edited by ramgirl; 10-09-2017 at 06:20 PM
ramgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for this!
Old 10-04-2017, 02:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Really good Jack and kate scenes and a good story on Jack beat his alcoholism the first and second time. liked the beth and randall moments as well. I am curious to what you all think of the Kate/rebecca moments I heard mixed reviews and I am still trying to form a opinion
fox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:08 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Milo Ventimiglia

Quote:
I am curious to what you all think of the Kate/rebecca moments I heard mixed reviews and I am still trying to form a opinion
I think hard part is getting the timeline of where they story is. So they picked up after season 1 episode 2 in season 2 episode 2. So we already saw that Rebecca was watching what Kate was eating, s1ep2 is when Kate said he only fruit that day. I do think Kate was have self esteem issues, but this was before the pool episode where I think that went into full effect, and I do think that she was starting compare her self to her mom. I also think that maybe deep down Rebecca was maybe thinking that Kate could do the things that she couldn't as far as music wise.

Now adult Kate, I didn't get her lashing out Rebecca when Rebecca said she sang, are we going to see Rebecca keep mentioning that she used to sing for Kate's reaction to make sense. So I think we are missing parts to justify Kate's rant towards Rebecca. I get her getting upset because instead of her just saying good job, she gave Kate some advice/criticism. Loved Toby standing up to Rebecca total Jack move IMO.

I liked that this episode was more on the lighter side, I think it was perfect timing for it actually with the events going on in real life.

Kind of funny once again Kevin is left, poor Kevin they all left him story of his life, but I did love his moment with Beth. That did leave me with the question did the big three go to college together?? I mean we have seen Kevin and Randall not be close but yet they were at the same party and Kevin told Randall what to say, so did the kids have change college plans once Jack passed away and have to stay closer to home?

Loved the Jack parts, I think his storyline is going to be a heart breaking one this season, glad to see another side of him. His scenes with little Kate and teen Kate just really moving. He better get an award this season.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Or maybe their colleges were in a close area or Kevin could have visited to go to parties
fox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:13 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Kate is just getting on my nerve to be quite honest, and ... I'll just quote my review from the This is Us board...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalfate (View Post)
Another great episode and Kate just got on my nerve...
I just feel at this point her insecurities has gotten way out of line and ridiculous more than sympathetic. It feels no one can do no right each episode and its just draining me out... I mean telling your mother that, "you existed" as your upset childish trandum was just PATHETIC!!!! I was just so irrated and upset thaf i couldnt even enjoy the rest of her scenes in the episode.

Kate stoo complaining, your mother is perfertion compared to a lot of other sorry terrible parents in the world, you are an adult now, stop playing victim. You have a mother who loves you, brothers who loves you and a team Kate boyfriend who is in love with you just STOP IT! Be grateful to have a beautiful mother who is still alive since you do not have you father anymore ... cheerish the moments. You mom ain't that bad. Sorry she's not unattractive enough for you security standards.

Kate scenes with Jack are the ones I absolutely loved! That scene in the end with Jack telling Kate to ease up on her mother Rebecca (I concur) but of course when he revealed his drinking problems Milo acted that scene so perfectly and it was such a sad impactful scene.

Beth & Randall
- They get better each week. I love seeing a couple really discuss their views and concerns with one another which is exactly what thry did. I found Randall's concerns valid and understandsble but I loved how Beth had the confidence, especially after she talked with Kevin, and can I mention how much I loved that scene! I always like seeing characters who do not interact much, interact. And it was a fun scene aswell as eye opening for Beth to realize that Randall only ever took a risk with her. Thanks to Kevin's pick up line, a huge success! Lol so I loved all those scenes.

And of course loved thr Kevin scenes and especially all the ER mentions since I loved that show. and Kevin and Sophie, he can just see her smiling and that brighting him up, sincd he was even younger. So beautiful.

Can't post more since I am posting from my pbone right now and I am not a great phone poster. It took like 15 mins to type all of this. Lol so this post probably had a lot of errors in it as well. Lol
eternalfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:09 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Milo Ventimiglia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox24 (View Post)
Or maybe their colleges were in a close area or Kevin could have visited to go to parties
Maybe, it just got me wondering since what we have seen from little Randall/Kevin and teen them that they weren't close. So interesting when they said that in the scene, as much as I don't want to see after Jack's passing I do want to see that party where Randall and Beth met.

Thanks for your post Tia! I agree about Kate, I think they need to take her story a different way or make her more aware of her actions. I didn't like the first episode where she went off on the casting person saying they didn't give her a chance because of her weight, then when off the girl she didn't even know. Its almost like if someone is thin she automatically assumes they are a bad person like she did Oliva.

I think one draw back of the way the show does things is we don't get the full story so maybe will see more of what happened to her in the past to make her the way she is today which will explain her actions.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalfate (View Post)
Kate is just getting on my nerve to be quite honest, and ... I'll just quote my review from the This is Us board...
I have to say I felt the same about Kate. She acted so disrespectful when she's at the top of her game. She just put her life back together, has a life, now a career and loving family and fiancee... And to talk to your mom like you're a child.. just no!

Beth also frustrated me for a second as well. She acted as if she doesn't know her husband at all. I liked her talk with Kevin and how the talk ended with their laugh. Kevin really helped Beth to understand Randall better.

Kevin and Sophie were really cute in this episode. I loved their connection and how she's there to support him now, as she was when they were kids. He did acted as Cloony.

All of the Jack's scenes were heartbreaking for me and I loved the gimps of the younger Jack in Vietnam.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:25 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Also, have to mention that the action from Milo this scene has been on fire to start! I guess giving Milo more angsty stuff is paying off.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:07 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Milo Ventimiglia

I think Jacks character is going get very dramatic material this season

So this article was supposed to offer an explanation of the Kate/Rebecca situation but it really doesn't https://www.glamour.com/story/the-st...wo-episode-two what does everyone else think
Old 10-07-2017, 01:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

I also think it really doesn't help at all. I'm sorry, but I still think that Kate was acting a bit too childish. Instead of acting in this way, they could've sat together and talked and by talked I mean, Kate should've explained to her mom why she's angry at her. I don't think Becca gets it all, as we all.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:34 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yeah that didn't explain anything, only thing it explained is that we will see more story of it in the future and yes I am with Arinna, I feel my main issue is the way Kate handled it, like a 15 year old, childish brat.

I don't see why her and her mother couldn't sit down like adults and talk about it. The ONLY thing Rebecca did in the scene was show support.... the lashing out literally came from no where.
Not sure if even more backstory will help me understand that scene.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

They showed in the backstory only how excited Becca was, when Kate told her about that song. She even gave her her dress, for luck. Then all of a sudden Kate overheard her mom singing under the shower and gave up. Then, she put the blame on Becca. But Becca didn't even know what happened.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:44 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Well, I can't comment on Kate, but I really loved Milo in this episode. And I can't wait to see more of Jack's Vietnam storyline.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:44 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL.Arinna_1982 (View Post)
They showed in the backstory only how excited Becca was, when Kate told her about that song. She even gave her her dress, for luck. Then all of a sudden Kate overheard her mom singing under the shower and gave up. Then, she put the blame on Becca. But Becca didn't even know what happened.
Yeah and as the season is still going along, I still don't get the hate. lololol I'm waiting to see the episode when I can clearly understand Kate's hatred for her Mom. lol I ain't seeing it yet.

It seems like Rebecca is doing the best she can.
Sorry she didn't kiss up to everything she wanted like her father did... there are 3 kids...
Reply   Post New Thread