Moderator of ...
Milo Ventimiglia

This Is Us Episode Discussion ~ Last Christmas

This is Us
Episode Discussion Thread
Season 1 Episode 10
Last Christmas
Air Date: December 6, 2016

The Pearson's discover Dr. K alone at the hospital on Christmas Eve after Kate's afflicted with appendicitis. In the present, Kevin celebrates Hanukkah repeated word with Oliva, Kate pursues her big surgery and someone from William's past resurfaces.

Fall Finale last episodes of 2016! Next episode is January 10th

Articles

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-finale-952765

Last edited by ramgirl; 01-09-2017 at 07:27 PM
ramgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:34 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Milo Ventimiglia

Ok interesting way the episode was set-up with each story getting its own time and the coming together at the end.

Jack/Rebecca - Of course Jack is super Dad knowing that Kate wasn't faking, poor little Kate needing surgery on Christmas eve. And nice seeing Kevin staying there with Kate and holding his stomach and asking what is it best to pray to. Randall is the sweetest kid ever buying the snow globe after they said he never buys anything. This was episode was full of one liners and Dr. K had the best "don't wax poetic, the only thing you should be waxing is that mustache"

Kate ~ I think the realty is setting in about the surgery that it might not be the easy way out. Want to know more about her and Rebecca's relationship, when was she on anti-depressants, was it after Jack died?

Randall ~ He had an interesting storyline, not sure why they had him encounter the guy who wanted jump. must have to been show that everyone has problems and they he talked about forgivness I guess shows he forgave his mom.

William ~ Uhm this had me confused for bit like was he in a relationship with Jesse? Glad that Tess cleared it up in the only way a 2016 9 year kid can "Dad, Grandpa's gay or at least bi" I love those kids.

Kevin~ I like him and Sloan, their banter was great "you slept with me and didn't ruin anything" "just 10 years of therpy" glad he got the lighter storyline.

Toby ~ Love, love Toby he went to CA to NY in the middle seat, brought the girls teddy bears and a basket for the hosts. Hope he's okay I didn't see that coming at the end. Did he have a hear attack? is it serious? what does this mean from him and Kate?

Is Rebecca with Miguel for his money? I mean that house and that car?
Old 12-09-2016, 04:17 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I agree, I like how each story was given nearly equal time in this episode.

Jack is the most awesome dad in history, okay? And Milo is knocking it out of the park with each episode. Sadly, there wasn't much of him in this episode, as most of the episode centered on the present day. And I'm glad someone finally told Jack to lose the mustache. Mandy is also awesome as Rebecca, but Rebecca is once more giving me the impression that something is really wrong with her. She now blames herself for Kate's condition, and she did seem to be very hard on her back when she was a kid. And her and Miguel just make my skin crawl. I'm dreading the moment when we learn how that happened, because Miguel and his previous wife being long time friends of Jack and Kate, Miguel's flirtation with the female office assistant while he was married, and his implying that Jack was "gonna lose Kate" if he wasn't careful all make him look really smarmy. Did Kate marry Miguel just for his money? Did she marry him so that she had someone to offer her stability after Jack died? Good questions. Not exactly sure I want to know the answers, because I'm afraid they'll only make me dislike Rebecca even more.

Aww, Kevin was so adorable, not wanting to leave his twin sister, and even having sympathy pains in his abdomen. I don't think fraternal twins have that the way identical twins do, but whatever. I liked Kevin's scenes with Sloan and her family at Hanukkah dinner. For a minute it looked like it was going to erupt into a typical Thanksgiving family dinner argument. Her family obviously didn't think much of her career as an actress/playwright, but it's nice that Kevin had her back and suggested they do a play together. However, I'm not sure how long this will last, and I'm not sure that Olivia is out of the picture just yet.

Okay, Randall's storyline scared the hell out of me. That scene with the guy who wanted to commit suicide came right out of nowhere, and I was terrified that he was gonna jump. It did give Randall a chance to talk about his own issues, and how his life isn't nearly as perfect as his co-workers might think it is. I think when he started talking about finding his biological father, and his anger at Rebecca, it must've gotten to that guy. Yeah, I do think it was about forgiveness, not just for this guy having his family forgive him, but for Randall to forgive Rebecca. And Randall was right, if that guy killed himself on Christmas, the damage it would do to his daughter would be devastating. I nearly freaked when Randall's wife walked in, because I thought the guy had jumped. Thankfully, Randall saw that the guy had actually walked back into the office party, which was a relief. For Randall, it seems like it's just one damn thing after another lately. And Randall's daughter figuring out that William was gay/bi long before Randall did was hilarious. I thought it would've been obvious the minute that guy showed up at the party.

As for Kate, wow, her stomach getting reduced to the size of an egg? And I liked how the episode juxtaposed Kate's surgery with her appendectomy when she was a kid. I felt so sorry for her that she had to go through that on Christmas, but the fact that Rebecca was totally clueless while Jack knew instantly that something was wrong was also kind of depressing. It probably says a lot about the tension between Kate and Rebecca. I've often wondered why Kate is the one who has Jack's ashes and not Rebecca. It's clear that Kate blames Rebecca for a lot of her body image issues and her eating disorder, in addition to the fact that Kate, like Randall and Kevin, does not like Rebecca being with Miguel.

I did like the levity when Toby showed up, though. Randall's kids thinking that Toby was Santa Claus just because he showed up wearing a red hat was hilarious. I was like, "Okay, I get it. A fat guy joke, right? He shows up in a red Santa hat and the kids think he's Santa." I was also surprised that Toby and Kate had sex right there in Randall's house on Christmas eve! OMG, guys! Toby finally committing to losing weight in order to be with Kate seemed a bit convenient, but it was nice that he wanted to be in this together with her. Perhaps having sex wasn't the best decision, considering Toby's weight and the fact that he was already exhausted and out of breath by the time he got there. In hindsight, Dr. K's surgery back in the 80's and Jack's "nothing bad happens on Christmas" mantra really set up the shocking ending, with Toby collapsing and ending up in the hospital in surgery. So did Dr. K survive his surgery? Will Toby survive? Did he have a heart attack or something? Man, this show just kills me every time with these damn depressing endings.

On another note, how come the family watches the damn Police Academy movies on Thanksgiving, but no one is watching A Christmas Story, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, or Home Alone on Christmas?
Old 12-09-2016, 02:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

I liked to tone of this episode. It started really good with Jack and his family trying to celebrate Christmas and how Kate ended up in the hospital. I liked how all of them acted as if they are really close. You can see them as a real family and this was amazing! As per usual Milo's acting was perfect and natural. I loved how Becca acted with her children and how close Kevin and Kate are, even as kids. The only part I was (kinda) disappointed about was Randal's bio dad's story. They had to put a gay story here too. I felt like they did it, because that's a fashion right now. It felt a bit off for me, that's all. (Unlike the Empire plot! Not that I compare these series.)

The ending was indeed a shocker and I hope we'll get to watch the next episode sooner than later.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:51 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Milo Ventimiglia

Quote:
The only part I was (kinda) disappointed about was Randal's bio dad's story. They had to put a gay story here too. I felt like they did it, because that's a fashion right now
I think it will be interesting to see how they handle it, is this the reason maybe William turned to drugs because you have to remember during that time when he was young it wasn't as acceptable as it is now. Also why didn't he tell Randall and was that a factor into him leaving Randall the way he did?

Quote:
It's clear that Kate blames Rebecca for a lot of her body image issues and her eating disorder, in addition to the fact that Kate, like Randall and Kevin, does not like Rebecca being with Miguel.
I think its just Kevin, if Randall has a problem with him I don't think he would let his girls call him grandpa, and he also told Kevin that he was their step father and to be nice. I don't know about Kate it seemed she was staying with her mom and Miguel in the episode so maybe she just tolerates him but we haven't seen how she acts towards him.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:23 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramgirl (View Post)
I think its just Kevin, if Randall has a problem with him I don't think he would let his girls call him grandpa, and he also told Kevin that he was their step father and to be nice. I don't know about Kate it seemed she was staying with her mom and Miguel in the episode so maybe she just tolerates him but we haven't seen how she acts towards him.
Don't you remember how Randall reacted to Miguel when he and Rebecca showed up at the door in episode 3, 'Kyle'? He welcomed Rebecca, but he was a lot chillier with Miguel. Randall was like, "Oh... Hi. Why don't you just go sit in the living room, Miguel?" You could even see by the look on Miguel's face that he could tell that Randall wasn't happy to see him. As for his kids calling Miguel "grandpa," I guess that's more to accommodate Rebecca and make her feel better than anything else. But I still think it's really weird and inappropriate that Rebecca ended up with him after Jack's death. And Kevin and Kate don't seem to be that fond of Miguel either... more "tolerant," like you said.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

I think that they all tolerate Miguel, because of their mother. They just want her happy, but I don't think she is though.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:55 AM
Fan Forum Legend

That's why I would love to see how Rebecca ended up with Miguel, Arinna. Although I'm not really looking forward to seeing how Jack died and then seeing how Rebecca ended up with Miguel, I'm curious to see if you're right.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:45 PM
Fan Forum Star

Right about what?
Reply   Post New Thread