Moderator of ...
Milo Ventimiglia

This Is Us Episode Discussion ~ The Big Day

This is Us
Episode Discussion Thread
Season 1 Episode 12
The Big Day
[b]Air Date: January 17, 2017

An exhausted Rebecca forgets Jack's birthday, as their triplets due date quickly approaches; Dr. K struggles to cope with the loss of his wife; and the firefighter who brought Randall to the hospital fights to save his marriage.

Last edited by ramgirl; 01-23-2017 at 07:54 PM
ramgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Very good episode a lot of behind the scenes to the pilot. Jack as the guys at the Golf course puts a lot of guys to shame. I liked how Rebecca got created to make the cake
fox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:45 PM
Fan Forum Star

I loved that episode!

I loved Becca's little speech to her unborn triplets about their father and how perfect he is. This put some tears in my eyes also. Jack was nothing but supportive and ignored his own wishes to be with his wife and their kids. I loved how dedicated he was to her and to them! And Miguel - still DON'T like that guy!
Old 01-18-2017, 07:52 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Milo Ventimiglia

Honestly I am curious how we are supposed to like Miguel after ep 15? They so far are not painting a nice picture of him. I would say that Jack would almost be cheesy but seeing how his father was you understand him.

I really think that these writers can write anything or tell any story.

Interesting is Randall born the same day or is he a day older?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...episode-964450

Last edited by ramgirl; 01-18-2017 at 08:12 PM
ramgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

I think he's born on the same day, because the fireman's woman said "a newborn" or something like it.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:52 PM
Fan Forum Star

Good episode!
Old 01-20-2017, 01:49 AM
Fan Forum Star

I loved it how it was all stand alone episode!
Old 01-20-2017, 09:25 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Finally! An episode dedicated to Jack and Rebecca! Long live the 1980's!

1. Poor Rebecca and her hormones. She's so messed up about what's going on with her body that she kicks Jack out of the house. And then she feels guilty when she realizes that it's his birthday. So she goes all the way to a... liquor store? The only place she can get to on foot. And all she can get is a banana nut cupcake and some icing. I felt really bad for her, and how she was talking to the triplets and telling them how perfect their dad was, and how she was actually afraid that she'd be the one to let them down. And Jack knew exactly how to cheer her up once again, by filming the whole thing.

2. How awesome is Jack? He decides to walk away from golf with the boys to spend time with his wife. And Miguel is being ever the douchebag again. His wife and kids are out of town and he invites Jack to spend his birthday away from his wife and on a golf course. So I've gone from hating this guy to thinking that he's a total pile of whale vomit.

3. OMG, I never thought we'd see that fireman who delivered Randall to the hospital again! But not only did he make a reappearance, but he got his own storyline where baby Randall inadvertently saved his marriage. I was afraid that his story was gonna end badly, with his marriage collapsing. But when his wife realized what a great and selfless guy he was for trying to adopt Randall(after she totally brushed him off and told him to take the baby to a hospital before he got arrested), she suddenly got all "Rebecca" and decided to start all over again with him, even asking him out on a date the same way he did when they first met. All I could say was, AAWWWWWW!!!!

4. Dr. K's storyline broke my heart, and I guess in some ways it might be foreshadowing Rebecca's future without Jack. Seeing how he refused to move on after his wife's death was heartbreaking, and the way he was dealing with his kids. But after watching the tragedy that Jack and Rebecca had to go through losing one of their babies, and then adopting Randall, turning a horrible lemon into lemonade, Dr. K decides to visit his wife's grave once more before moving on with that female friend of his we saw earlier in the episode. Every time I think this show has run out of ways to make me cry, another episode does it to me again.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:42 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Finally! An episode dedicated to Jack and Rebecca! Long live the 1980's!

1. Poor Rebecca and her hormones. She's so messed up about what's going on with her body that she kicks Jack out of the house. And then she feels guilty when she realizes that it's his birthday. So she goes all the way to a... liquor store? The only place she can get to on foot. And all she can get is a banana nut cupcake and some icing. I felt really bad for her, and how she was talking to the triplets and telling them how perfect their dad was, and how she was actually afraid that she'd be the one to let them down. And Jack knew exactly how to cheer her up once again, by filming the whole thing.

2. How awesome is Jack? He decides to walk away from golf with the boys to spend time with his wife. And Miguel is being ever the douchebag again. His wife and kids are out of town and he invites Jack to spend his birthday away from his wife and on a golf course. So I've gone from hating this guy to thinking that he's a total pile of whale vomit.

3. OMG, I never thought we'd see that fireman who delivered Randall to the hospital again! But not only did he make a reappearance, but he got his own storyline where baby Randall inadvertently saved his marriage. I was afraid that his story was gonna end badly, with his marriage collapsing. But when his wife realized what a great and selfless guy he was for trying to adopt Randall(after she totally brushed him off and told him to take the baby to a hospital before he got arrested), she suddenly got all "Rebecca" and decided to start all over again with him, even asking him out on a date the same way he did when they first met. All I could say was, AAWWWWWW!!!!

4. Dr. K's storyline broke my heart, and I guess in some ways it might be foreshadowing Rebecca's future without Jack. Seeing how he refused to move on after his wife's death was heartbreaking, and the way he was dealing with his kids. But after watching the tragedy that Jack and Rebecca had to go through losing one of their babies, and then adopting Randall, turning a horrible lemon into lemonade, Dr. K decides to visit his wife's grave once more before moving on with that female friend of his we saw earlier in the episode. Every time I think this show has run out of ways to make me cry, another episode does it to me again.
Nice review, Alex! As per usual.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:54 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Thank you, Arinna.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:49 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Milo Ventimiglia

I think the best things this episode showed was that they can do stand alone episodes and still have them be powerful. I feel like this is one if not the best written shows on television right now.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

It is really good
fox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:13 AM
Loyal Fan

THis was a great episode! I love Jack and Rebecca so much!!!!
Coco_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:37 PM
Fan Forum Star

I know! And probably this is my favorite one so far.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:39 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yeah, I also said that I liked how this episode focused on just one storyline, the Jack and Rebecca storyline, and it gave us more time to get to know them instead of constantly jumping back and forth between all five characters. They should do more of these stand alone episodes. I think Kate deserves one most of all because her storyline has kind of taken a back seat to Randall's and Kevin's.