Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2009, 07:19 AM
Elite Fan

Inspector Frederick Abberline {From Hell} Appreciation #1: Inspector Frederick Abberline VS Jack the Ripper!

Made by Melika

Plot:

In Victorian Era London, a troubled clairvoyant police detective investigates the murders by Jack The Ripper.

Cast:

Johnny Depp as Inspector Frederick Abberline

Heather Graham as Mary Kelly

Ian Holm as Sir William Gull

Robbie Coltrane as Sergeant Peter Godley

Ian Richardson as Sir Charles Warren

Jason Flemyng as Netley, the Coachman

Katrin Cartlidge as Dark Annie Chapman

Terence Harvey as Benjamin 'Ben' Kidney

Dissecting The Movie

For the purpose of creating more discussion on the movie threads, I have created a list of Questions in order for you to share your opinions.

NOTE: You ARE NOT required to answer all of these questions or any of them for that matter.
The following questions are only meant to be used as a guide.

(See above where cast is posted)
  4. Did you like the way the movie was filmed?
    (cinematography)[angles,close ups etc...]
  5. What one thing would you change about the movie and why?
  6. Anything else to add:

Last edited by Melissa Ann; 04-23-2010 at 03:45 PM
Old 02-25-2009, 12:59 PM
Absolute Fan

Haven't there been a thread before?
Kathi: "Robert Pattinson, I neeeed you to bite me!!!!" Icon credit: ME
Old 02-25-2009, 10:30 PM
Elite Fan

I couldn't find one. Plus there was none listed in the OP, so I made one.

It's possible there was an old one and maybe it reached its count and a new one was not started.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:34 AM
Absolute Fan

Okay, I was just wondering! Nice banner btw.
Kathi: "Robert Pattinson, I neeeed you to bite me!!!!" Icon credit: ME
Old 02-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Elite Fan

Thank you!

I'm going to watch this movie tonight and then post my review!

ETA:

From Hell Movie Club Review

Who did you suspect as being Jack the Ripper and why?

Throughout most of the movie, I figured it was the Nichols Gang, because Mary Kelly and her friends all figured the same thing as they were being threatened for one pound a week from each of the girls or else.

I didn't know who else to suspect. But I knew it wasn't the Nicols after we discover that Albert was a Prince and the murders were part of a cover up.

Were you surprised as to who was Jack the Ripper and why?

The very first time I saw this movie, I was creeped out and so surprised at who the real killer ended up being, mostly because Sir William Gull (Ian Holm) had had a stroke and couldn't move part of his body all that well, or so we were led to believe, as soon as you discover in the beginning of the movie that he cannot perform surgery anymore because of his hands, mentally it's like he's checked off your list as being the killer.

So it was a great surprise! And I loved it!

Favorite Character: Inspector Frederick Abberline

Favorite Scene: Near the end of the film when the police discover who they assume is Mary Kelly slaughtered by Jack the Ripper and literally in pieces in her room.

This is my favorite scene because Inspector Abberline knows, by the colour of the hair, that it really is not her, and it's a small secret that he takes with him to his grave.

Favorite Supporting Actor: Sir William Gull, Jack the Ripper

Favorite Supporting Actress: Ann Crook (Their friend who married Albert and was eventually lobotomized.

Comments: This film is intense and truly a mystery until the revealing of Jack the Ripper.

It is truly a masterpiece of a movie, well acted and IMO the best take on the fable of Jack the Ripper!

IF you own the DVD: What did you think of the Special Features on the DVD?

I have not watched the features yet, but once I do, I will post my reviews on them!

Last edited by Melissa Ann; 02-26-2009 at 09:27 PM
Old 02-27-2009, 12:34 PM
Elite Fan

I am happy to announce that I am doing a movie night with a girl friend of mine tomorrow night and she has never seen "From Hell".

So I get to watch in again and see her in awe of Johnny!
Old 06-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Elite Fan

I converted another friend to a fan of this Movie!
Old 09-17-2009, 01:29 PM
Dedicated Fan

I love this flick, the look and feel of it are awesome. I especially love the partnership between Johnny and Robbie Coltrane, I thought they had a great chemistry. It was also a very interesting take on the Ripper mystery. I could have done without Heather Graham though.

The Hughes brothers commentary was also one of the most interesting commentaries I've ever had the pleasure of listening to.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:29 PM
Elite Fan

This is like my favorite Johnny movie.

I thought this was one of Heather Graham's better performances, compared to past work she's done, which I can't even name, come to think of it!

Who else would you have liked to have seen in the role of Mary Kelly?

For me, I think seeing Johnny with Kate Winslet would have been good, they did do Finding Neverland, but that was after this movie was made. Plus, I imagine the same red hair Kate had for Titanic as fitting the role beautifully.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:40 AM
Elite Fan

Based on the Survivor Rounds, hosted by Kelli, From Hell was the winning movie from round 5 and is now the "Movie of the Week".

This thread has been topped, and the opening post has some questions on the movie you can answer after you've watched the movie.

You do NOT have to answer the questions, it's just a guide!

Thanks,
Old 03-17-2010, 11:06 AM
Dedicated Fan

1. Did you re-watch the movie in order to share your comments and opinions or are you posting your comments and opinions from what you remember of the movie?

From memory.

2. What was the best scene in the movie and why?

It's hard for me to pick just one, but any of the scenes with Johnny and Robbie are good enough for me, especially when it was just the two of them talking, like in his office or in the carriage.

3. What did you think of the cast?

I loved Robbie Coltrane, thought he was great in his part and that he and Johnny had a really great chemistry together. Ian Holm was also really good as the doctor/ripper. I could have done without Heather Graham. I've never liked her and I just couldn't buy into her romance with Johnny in this, as it wasn't even given much focus or time to evolve. And, I love your suggestion for Kate Winslet for the part with her red hair Melika, that would have been awesome. The rest of the actresses who played the group of prostitutes was good.

4. Did you like the way the movie was filmed?

I loved the look of this movie, the colors and textures were fantastic. It really put you in the feeling of being in that place and time. The Hughes brothers even spoke of how the were very meticulous in reproducing the look from pictures and such taken at that time.

5. What one thing would you change about the movie and why?

I would change the ending. I understand why they chose to have him die at the end, but I didn't like it. Or maybe it could have been a more dramatic death, rather than an overdose. I mean, it worked, because it brought the movie and his character full circle, but I still wish he had lived.

6. Anything else to add:

I just wish there had been more scenes with Johnny and Robbie Coltrane, as I really did like the two of them together, thought they made a great team and wish they had given them some more history and depth, though i suppose there's only so much you can do/show in so little time.

Last edited by harleyq; 03-17-2010 at 11:22 AM
Old 03-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Elite Fan

I'm going to rewatch this tonight, even though I know it already, I love this film.

But I do have to add that I agree, Abberline dying in the end was sort of an upset, you wish he could have lived the happily ever after.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Elite Fan

Last Wednesday night there was a documentary special on TLC about "Who was Jack the Ripper?", and they had this detective showing his theories and clues and how he used technology to gain an image of what he might have looked like based on sketches.

It was two hours long, but in the end, you really think he may have figured out who Jack the Ripper really was.

I wish I could remember the details because it was insanely awesome. But if it ever airs again, I be sure to post a review and a date and time of when it should air next!
Old 07-12-2010, 07:09 AM
Dedicated Fan

That would be awesome to see Melika, you'll definitely have to let us know if it's ever on again.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Elite Fan

I missed the first hour of it, so I would like to see it again.

But I will definitely post if I see it's on again.

I haven't looked, but it might be available to watch on the A&E website.