Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 05-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Elite Fan

OTH Episode Discussion 5.17 "Hate Is Safer Than Love"

5.17 - "Hate is Safer Than Love"

Tentative Air Date: 12 May 2008

Writer: Mark Schwahn
Director: Stuart Gillard

EMERGENCY SURGERY FOR BROOKE’S BABY — Lucas (Chad Michael Murray) is crushed by devastating news, while Brooke’s (Sophia Bush) baby undergoes emergency surgery. Haley (Bethany Joy Galeotti) wrestles with her decision to record a new album. Skills (Antwon Tanner) and Nathan (James Lafferty) employ a risky game plan to salvage the Raven’s season and Lucas stuns Peyton (Hilarie Burton) with a shocking truth. Lee Norris also stars. Stuart Gillard directed the episode written by Mark Schwahn

-----------------------------------------------------------

5.17 - "Hate Is Safer Than Love" Stills

-----------------------------------------------------------

Promo

YouTube - One Tree Hill 5x17 Hate Is Safer Than Love Official Promo

Last edited by Sunshine_03; 05-13-2008 at 06:05 AM
Old 05-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Fan Forum Star

thanks for starting the thread

look at those stills too bad that's probably just Chad and not Lucas
Old 05-13-2008, 05:11 AM
Master Fan

Think if Joe was an extra

icon; gracery | Marie
Old 05-13-2008, 05:20 AM
Fan Forum Star

those stills of Chad shirtless might be of 5.18, considering the promo. we should edit them out from this thread
Old 05-13-2008, 06:04 AM
Master Fan

Really?

I'll edit them out

icon; gracery | Marie
Old 05-13-2008, 07:09 AM
Elite Fan

Overall the episode was ok, but I wasn’t a fan of the ending for a show that usually has a lot of heart that was really a heartless way to end, although I’m sure that will be repaired somehow in the next episode.

Peyton was great to me in this episode. She was supportive of Brooke, amazing in the scenes with Haley, which I just loved seeing. She took care of Lucas even when he’s been pretty cold to her recently. She certainly deserved better than an IHY, which I think with the title of the episode said it all for that moment. I think finally we might see her try and move past Lucas after this, because it’s kind of the last straw despite all her trying to be a good person in Lucas life, she’s been struggling for a while and it’s only going to get harder after that moment. However I still think she loves Lucas and the tension between them in every scene is so evident that you know something is still there.

Lucas was a total disgrace in this episode in the second half. His behaviour was just completely unacceptable. Shaking young kids, telling someone he loves (I still think he does even if he doesn’t know it right now) he hates her, ignoring his best friend. It was all just so over the top angry. I know he’s hurting but going at young kids and stuff like that, some behaviour is not excusable. I don’t like where they’re taking Lucas right now. The selfish anger in it just reminds me so much of Dan and it’s awful to see. Sometimes I feel like he needs to get over himself, especially when it comes to the self pity and blaming everyone else for his life. He has control of his own destiny. I just hope he remembers what he said in the next episode and is shown enough heart to want to put it right, because the Lucas I used to know would have to do that and could not let that stand. I think this is his lowest moment on the entire series and he needs to be ashamed, as he basically acted like a child (see Jamie’s IHY). I do think he's a great guy with some people, just I didn't like him in this episode and I hope, no I know he is the great guy who will have to put all of this right in the next episode. I just can't stand to see my favourite character on the show like this and I hope it gets better for him and he can treat the people who he loves properly and I also hope he doesn't get fired as coach, although I think that may have been foreshadowed by what was said in the scene with Skills.

Lucas and Peyton now I feel are probably at a lowest point, but it’s the kind of unresolved tension and power of emotion that’s bound to lead to something soon. Hate is not the opposite of Love, indifference is. You can see the resentment Lucas carries, but at the same time it shows a level of feeling for Peyton, that only she can do that to him. Only Peyton can have that almighty violent affect on him where he can tell her he hates her. I know that he’s going to wake up regretting that and he’s going to have a lot of making up to do, but this is the Lucas we all know has a good heart and strives to be a good person, so I’m sure he will. I think Peyton will have a hard time with it, but ultimately she’ll know he was drunk and angry, and ultimately if he can show her he still loved her, she will forgive him it, because we can forgive the people we love anything.

Haley was good mother and friend in this episode. She tried to do her best for Jamie, while sorting through what she can make of her life. She was also a good friend to Peyton and its interesting seeing her struggle to write as the attention is taken away from her family. I think so much of who she is, is in her family and she needs to know they’ll be ok before she can really write anything.

It was good to see Nathan on his comeback and he was a good brother to Lucas and for once the emotionally stable one in the family. At the moment he is the much more likeable brother and it’s disappointing for me in a way. Not that I dislike Nathan, just that Lucas has fallen so far. I think its major contrast between the two right now. Nathan is all heart and caring, where Lucas is cold, shut down and not a good guy. It’s interesting in a way to see the show so far from where it was in the pilot, but also it can be a disappointment when someone on the show’s character is so damaged, thankfully Nathan is going the other way right now and doing his best to be a good guy.

Brooke was sweet with Angie in the episode and also a good friend. She supported the people who matter to her and it was good to see. I liked the chemistry between her and the doctor and it seems like there could be something there for them in future. It was a nice natural chemistry that I think the show has left it open to explore in future. Personally I’d quite like to see Owen back, especially since his freakout needs to be explained.

Personally Mouth could just not be on the show for me. His storylines are just such a disconnect from the rest of the cast and it renders them pointless and waste of screentime. That said, what he did for Lucas in the end was good, putting his friendship above his career.

The Skills and Deb stuff I actually thought was funny. It was a bit of a waste and Deb is a bit of a cartoon, but I can see why that stuff was how it was. It gave lightness to an otherwise very dark episode. Still it’s annoying to see an episode so unbalanced that this is what they have to resort to, even if it was somewhat amusing.

The episode was entertaining and one of the better post strike episodes. I’d take anything between LP to see the storyline develop right now over nothing, so the IHY certainly showed potential for something to happen with the storyline, since that will have to be dealt with. The rest of the episode was pretty average though, but still entertaining. The highlight for me though was Hilarie’s acting, which was just so powerful in that last scene. I really hope she gets more interesting stuff than the music storyline, because she can certainly handle better stuff. This episode had a lot of bite at points which made it good, but the end was so bitter cold that I just hope emotionally it warms up in the finale. The show needs to re-capture its heart somewhat, but I have faith that it will. I just hope that the promo doesn’t quite work out like it appears. I think everyone is getting sick of Lucas the potential polygamist.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:05 AM
Master Fan

I really liked this episode, it gave me a feeling of the old Tree Hill with all the drama that ISN'T predictable. Every other episode has been boring and predictable.

I loved seeing a Raven's basketball game again, nice work Mark, keep working your way back to hat the show is really about. Finally an episode where Lucas was in center, it's about time!

Let's start with Lucas. He really dissapointed me, attacking that player, and saying those hurtful words to Peyton. First of all, Lindsay should never have told him that during half time. Only someone with half a brain would know that it would hurt him, as he so obviously is in love with her.
Lucas needs to finally realize that things are over between them, otherwise he'll never get over her, and will pity himself through 10 episodes.
What the hell is he thinking saying ''I hate you'' to Peyton? It's not her fault Luke, it's yours! Stop trying to blame someone else for your actions. Step up and be a man. I'm disgusted by his behavior.

Peyton was amazing in this episode. No Lucas bawling, just regular old Peyton, so nice to see for a change. The way she helped Haley and Mia, and Lucas in the end. I feel for her, hopefully she realizes that Lucas isn't worth her time if he's going to be such an ass towards her.

And please Mark, let's keep out the excuse: ''I was drunk, so sorry I said those things, I didn't mean them.. PLEASE don't use that, it's so lame and tacky

I'm still convinced LP will end up together. Lucas would never react that way to any other person.

Someone tell me. The LP promo for this eppy, where did that scene go?

Brooke has grown so much over the last 4 years, she always amazes me, and I thought Sophia did an awesome job. It must be hard having all of these emotional scenes, kudo's too her

The BL friendship just seems to be getting stronger and stronger. I'm loving it, but I kinda wished Brooke had gone after Lucas when he had come to check on Angie. You could see how hurt he was, and I wish Brooke had gone after him to ask him about it, make sure he was ok.

I just knew Jamie was going to find that letter in the trash. I'm glad he and Haley talked it out, and he seemed to undertand, even though it must be hard for a 5 year old to grasp why he can't see his grandfather when nobody will give him a real reason why.

Peyton and Haley on the roof was a fun scene. I've missed those.

WHY does it alway cross my mind to maybe give Dan the benefit of the doubt? He's the same Dan, and he'll never change.

Skills & Deb That was beyond hilarious. And Nathan walking in on Deb, his reaction was priceless!!

Chad was amazing. I'm so glad this episode was about Lucas and Chad really got to use his talent.

I hope the season final can live up to this episode

icon; gracery | Marie
Old 05-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Fan Forum Star

so of course I have to go against what the most of people (everyone?) thinks

I loved that segment of the episode where Lucas flipped out. I enjoyed every single moment of it. It actually got me excited, it gave me some emotion, it made me care for what was happening on the show, instead of just watching hoping it would end fast as it's been happening to me in the latest few episodes.

Lucas I don't care if everyone hates him now. I like to be different, to think different I loved him. More than ever. yes, he flipped out. yes, he acted childish. yes, he should have never done what he did, since after the call till the end of the episode. but boy did I love him! Lucas has been pretty much emotionless for the entire season. We have had to interpret his feelings, to try to understand what he was feeling looking at his eyes, or a word, or some other little signal so hard to catch that it was getting really stressing. In this episode we got to see him taking out all of his emotions: the anger, the hurt, the sadness, the depression. I really liked it. Everything he did was wrong: fighting during the game, getting drunk, telling Peyton he hates her. But I can understand him. I can feel his pain and I can get where he comes from. So I really can't hate him. I say: this reaction is welcome. he has been rising above everything for years. It was about time he let everything out. This is to me the reaction to everything that has happened to him in his life, that he has always tried to push away, deep down in his heart. But sooner or later it had to come out. Since he was a child he had this dream of having a family. He thought he could have had it with Karen and Keith but Dan took that away from him. He thought he could have had it with Peyton but she "betrayed" his hope and what they had, turning him down because she wanted one more year to be successfull, basically telling him she didn't even want him in her same town. He waited for her for an entire year but she was so selfish that just seeing him with another girl was enough for her to leave the book signing. He moved on, fell in love with another girl, built something with her, hoped to realize that dream of a family. But the dream slipped away from him. Again. Yes, it's his fault if he still has some feelings for Peyton. But his reaction and the I hate you are absolutely realistic in my opinion and just make me feel for him. I'm not gonna hate him. He is in love with lindsey but he was in denial about her leaving him for good. He realized the truth after the call, he saw her slipping away, everything came down on him in this episode so flipping out is exactly what I would have expected. So I loved it. I am sure he'll take full responsability for his mistakes, like he has always done, unlike the other characters of the show. Brooke, Peyton, Nathan, they screwed up several times and never took full responsability for what they did. Brooke sleeped around, Peyton did drugs, Nathan did so many mistakes, all because they were dealing with problems and they couldn't find the solution. Now it's Lucas turn to make his mistake. People forgive the other characters always easily while they are always so hard on Lucas. And that's because Lucas has always risen above everything. Well guys, he's a human being. As he said, suck it up, he can't be perfect. it's easy to love a character when he's perfect. It's when you can see they are flawed that you should love them even more, in my opinion. So, to conclude, I loved to see him flipping out, I finally got to see him break down and I say it was about time, after everything that has been happening to him. To those that say he isn't a good boyfriend and he hurt Brooke, Lindsey and Peyton, I say those 3 girls hurt him too. Brooke and Peyton even treated him like crap in the past and still in those moments Lucas was there for them when they needed him, no matter what.

about the rest of the episode, I really didn't care for anything. Deb/Skills is so lame I don't even want to spend too much time to talk about it. I just want to ask Mark: WTF? Why bringing Debbie back? She's useless and just gross now. Such a waste of Barbara's talent and class and grace

the only other moment apart from lucas flipping out that gave me some emotions was seeing Jamie walking down the street all alone. I felt for him.

All the rest, I really felt like fast forward. Except I loved Mouth didn't use the footage of Lucas grabbing the kid. For once, someone gives Lucas something back

I really can't stand Mia and the whole music stuff bores me to death. Angie and that storyline is just too ridicolous. Do babies really get surgery like that? they get a call in the morning, they are rushed to the hospital and get surgery? It looked ridicolous to me.

my last comment is on Chad's performance, of course. I loved it. When he is given some good material, he always gives excellent performances. I wish Mark could give him more. It's not coincidence that the best stuff in this awful season, in my opinion, are 5.05 and the second part of this episode: Lucas was the focus and Chad was brilliant. In the locker room, after he flipped out in the gym, he had tears in his eyes and it was one of those great moments when Chad can convey Lucas emotion in his eyes and always touches me. And did I mention he really is gorgeous?
Old 05-13-2008, 11:15 AM
Fan Forum Hero

yeah lucas was too hard with Peyton sayint IHY but i can understand him, he is so confused and lost.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu9 (View Post)
Angie and that storyline is just too ridicolous. Do babies really get surgery like that? they get a call in the morning, they are rushed to the hospital and get surgery? It looked ridicolous to me.
As ridiculous as it may have looked, yes they really do that. And I think it's pretty cool they did it realistically
Is your spirit alive...