Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 06:06 PM
Elite Fan

Fruitvale Station (Spoilers & Speculations) #1

Durand, Murray, O'Reilly set for 'Fruitvale'
Indie drama shooting in Oakland, Calif.

Kevin Durand and Chad Michael Murray are set to play a pair of police officers in the timely indie drama "Fruitvale," which has also added Ahna O'Reilly to its ensemble cast.
O'Reilly reunites with her "The Help" co-star Octavia Spencer, who stars alongside Michael B. Jordan, Melonie Diaz and Tristan Wilds. Sundance Lab alum Ryan Coogler wrote and is directing the pic, which Forest Whitaker is producing with his Significant Prods. partner Nina Yang.

Based on a true-life police shooting, film stars Jordan as Oscar Grant, a young Bay Area resident who was detained and killed by BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) cops in Oakland on New Year's Eve in 2008. Event was captured on camera, and the ensuing trial and its verdict spurred protests and riots.

BART is supporting the project, allowing the production to film at the actual Fruitvale station where the shooting took place.

Coogler is making his directorial debut with the pic, which was developed within the Sundance Institute's Screenwriting Lab.

Durand has been busy of late, signing on to key supporting roles in Darren Aronofsky's "Noah," Screen Gems' adaptation of "The Mortal Instruments" and the West Memphis 3 pic "Devil's Knot."

Murray has wrapped the indies "The Haunting in Georgia" and "Renee," the latter of which pairs him with Kat Dennings.

O'Reilly just wrapped the female lead opposite Ashton Kutcher in indie pic "Jobs."

Durand, Murray and O'Reilly are repped by WME, which also reps Coogler, Spencer and Whitaker. Durand is also repped by Alchemy Entertainment and attorney David Feldman. Murray is managed by Brillstein Entertainment Partners, while Luber Roklin Entertainment manages O'Reilly.
Durand, Murray, O'Reilly set for 'Fruitvale' - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

IMDb page

Last edited by StarryEyedSandy; 04-27-2013 at 07:46 AM
Old 07-26-2012, 06:14 PM
Elite Fan

Thank you for opening this!

I'm excited and so thrilled to see Chad take on these socially important roles! He's come such a long way!

Though, I do wonder what police officer he'll be playing

Off to tweet the opening of this thread
Old 07-26-2012, 06:19 PM
Elite Fan

I'm assuming he'll be one of the cops who caused the shooting

your welcome &
Old 07-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Elite Fan

That'll be hard to watch But I have full confidence that Chad will handle the role with grace.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:42 PM
Elite Fan

It'll be interesting to see Chad portray someone so scary!
Old 07-26-2012, 07:16 PM
Fan Forum Star

I am so excited for this. This is in my area and I remember how big the shooting was and I would be excited for the movie no matter what but I am glad that Chad is involved, makes it even better.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:27 PM
Elite Fan

I'm ashamed and feel like I've been living under a rock but I never heard about this
Old 07-26-2012, 09:22 PM
Absolute Fan

You can see the details about the shooting in the wikipedia page - BART Police shooting of Oscar Grant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I vaguely remember reading about it a couple of years ago.

I'm hoping Chad plays Johannes Mehserle - The cop who shot Grant. It would be a more difficult and interesting role to tackle instead of the cop's partner. Plus, I'm a HUGE fan of Octavia Spencer! This movie is going to be fantastic!
Old 07-26-2012, 09:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

i saw that Chad retweeted the thread.. so sweet of him
Old 07-26-2012, 10:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristalBuddy (View Post)
I'm ashamed and feel like I've been living under a rock but I never heard about this
I only heard about it cause I live like 20 minutes from there and go there all the time. I love that he's doing this, my husband actually wants to see it too. I'm excited
Old 07-27-2012, 01:31 AM
Elite Fan

I've honestly never heard of this either but I'm really interested to read more about the characters.

Also, this explains why Chad tweeted about "The Help" the other night, since Octavia Spencer and Ahna O'Reilly were both in that movie.

So this is the actor who will be playing Chad's partner in the film, Kevin Durand:

Kevin Durand - IMDb

He's been in a lot of action films, and a lot of them seem to be sci-fi or comic book related. And he sorta looks like the officer who shot Grant, Johannes Mehserle:

at least more than Chad imo
Old 07-27-2012, 01:40 AM
Elite Fan

IMDb/IMDb Pro still don't have Chad's name listed, but here's an article about the victim's family feelings towards the movie:
Oscar Grant Family Looking Forward to 'Fruitvale', Film About the Shooting
July 24, 2012

Fruitvale, a film about the shooting death of Oscar Grant, has been in production around Oakland, as some have been tweeting...

[a tweet by Chad and Octavia are posted]

Spencer won the Academy Award earlier this year for her supporting role in The Help. She's playing Oscar Grant's mother, Wanda Johnson; Michael B. Jordan of "Friday Night Lights" will also star, reportedly as Grant himself. Oakland native Ryan Coogler is directing for actor Forrest Whitaker's production company.

Updates to the storySpeaking about the 2009 incident, in which Oakland was turned upside down after cellphone video emerged of an unarmed Grant being shot dead by BART police officer Johannes Mehserle, Coogler told Filmmaker magazine, “I saw the riots and the frustration [following the shooting], and they didn’t have an effect. If I can get two hours of people’s time, I can affect them more than if they threw a trash can through a window.”
Mehserle, who claimed he shot Grant by accident when he mistook his gun for his taser, was convicted of involuntary manslaughter and sentenced to two years in prison. He ended up serving just a year after receiving credit for time in jail plus good behavior.

From an April Chronicle report about the movie:

Quote:
"Fruitvale" is expected to portray the hours before Grant, 22, was shot in the back by former BART police Officer Johannes Mehserle on Jan. 1, 2009, after being pulled off a train at Oakland's Fruitvale Station in connection with a fight.

"We want it to be a teaching tool," said Wanda Johnson, Grant's mother. "We really need to work together to eliminate this type of occurrence."
Wanda Johnson, the mother of Oscar J. Grant III, is comforted by her supporters outside the Los Angeles Superior Court after Johannes Mesherle was sentanced to voluntary manslaughter. Mark Ralston/AFP/Getty

Grant's uncle, Cephus Johnson, told me today that the family, especially Grant's mother, has had "many conversations" with Forrest Whitaker as well as with director Ryan Coogler in preparation for the production, and that he has high hopes for the final film.

"I think the community as well as the world should know who [Oscar Grant] was and what happened to him," he said. "It will humanize Oscar as being a young black man that was tragically murdered on a platform for no apparent reason."

Johnson said Grant's mother had seen the final script and was satisfied with it.

It's unclear what role, if any, Johannes Mehserle will play in the film. A look at the cast list on IMDB yields no clues. So I asked Johnson if he knew who might be portraying the former BART cop.

"I have no idea," he said.

Update: I asked Mehserle defense attorney Michael Rains what he thought about a movie being made about the incident.

"I don't think Johannes or I have any problem if the family wants to do a movie," he said. "It's a tragedy what happened, and movies capture tragedy. I would hope the movie would capture the tragedy of the whole event, which means the tragic shooting of Oscar Grant [and] -- if the movie is true to what really happened -- capture the shock and the horror that was on Johannes's face, as testified by every witness at the trial, right after the shooting."

Rains said that Mehserle's been "doing odd jobs. He's working, he's doing well."

He also said he's waiting to hear if the California Supreme Court will hear an appeal of Mehserle's conviction.

Update 2: KGO reports the film is being made with BART's approval.

Quote:
BART spokesman Jim Allison tells ABC7 News, "When there is filming on BART property, the permit insures that BART is reimbursed for staff work so taxpayers are not subsidizing the film." However, he would not reveal any specific financial details...

Regarding the script, the transit agency spokesman says, "BART oversees the content so BART is not portrayed in a way that BART does not want to be portrayed." The city and transit agency have been keeping the film details close to the vest.
Oscar Grant Family Looking Forward to 'Fruitvale', Film About the Shooting | KQED News Fix
Old 07-27-2012, 05:16 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley486 (View Post)
i saw that Chad retweeted the thread.. so sweet of him
He likes us, he really likes us!

Durand has been casted as the bad guy many, many times before so I think he might be taking the role as the officer that shot Grant I do see Chad more of the moral character...though I don't think that term is very appropriate considering I don't know the full story
Old 07-27-2012, 05:30 AM
New Fan

I'm so excited about this new project ! The story is really so sad... Looking forward to know more about his role and to see it !
Old 07-27-2012, 08:58 AM
Fan Forum Star

Wow so they are doing production around Oakland, do we know if they will be filming there. Cause that would be so cool I would totally go and stalk Chad