Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 11-17-2008, 09:36 PM
Master Fan

Discuss Chad's 611 OTH Episode : We Three (My Echo, My Shadow and Me)

~ We Three (My Echo, My Shadow and Me)

In a very special episode, Chad Michael Murray pens an homage to the classic films of the 1940s. Karen’s Café is transformed into a glamorous nightclub with Lucas (Chad Michael Murray) as its proprietor.

Clips

Behind The Scenes

icon; gracery | Marie
Old 11-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

All I got to say is Chad I love you. That mother ****er was ballsy tonight and even though the acting was horrid I think Chad did great and that last scene was wow
Old 11-17-2008, 11:46 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It was not my favorite episode honestly. I give Chad a "A" for effort though. It was just too cheesy. He was right about one thing... Joy was amazing. She pwned the episode!
Old 11-18-2008, 01:40 AM
Elite Fan

Ok so the biggest problem for this episode is that certain things just did not work in colour. If you just turn the colour off on your TV it makes everything much much better. It actually gives it that 1940’s feel that some scenes needed to work. That is one reason the Smallville stuff kind of worked better. Once you see this in B/W it feels a lot better, as well as in my opinion being a way better episode.

I found it thoroughly entertaining journey, despite it’s lack of relevance. It’s one of the best stand alone AU episodes I’ve seen of any show for a while and I think Chad did a very good job, especially with most of the dialogue that felt like it was straight from Casablanca.

The acting, which has been criticised I didn’t think there was much wrong with. I would only put it down to the actor’s inexperience in handling that kind of dialogue and characterisation. Paul and Joy were very good, not that Joy was given a great deal of intense stuff.

The NH scenes were the least interesting for me, they were cute, but it was just like seeing an accelerated version of their history as they very quickly reach a point of having kids. I’m not sure about the timeline of the episode but it did feel very quick.

The Dan scenes were always entertaining with his henchmen. I thought some of the work Paul and Chad did together was excellent. They have a very good chemistry and it makes me miss those scenes where we get to see Lucas enraged with Dan in real time.

Sophia did well for her part and Brooke to me was like a mix of present day Brooke and past Brooke. She had that more manipulative edge to her from past seasons, but did have the morale goodness to try and make the right choice in the end. Still she was very much cast as the misguided cause of tragedy for the episode. I don’t know if it’s just me and it might be, but I do worry for Sophia’s voice sometimes. I saw a season 1 episode the other day and I’m amazed how much rougher it has gotten since then. Not that it bothers me so much in the actual sound, but it just felt rougher.

LP I thought were pretty great. The twirling on the bridge was a bit much although it looks a lot better in B/W. The rest of the scenes though were cute in parts, but intense in others. I thought Chad got the balance right. We even got some throwbacks to early days LP with the eye sex reminiscent of Life in a Glass House. I thought they both rocked the death scene at the end too. I actually like the way that the death and Lucas’ fears were linked into a continuing storyline in the end. Should be interesting to see that play out and it leaves the episode with a little bit of relevance.

I know people are concerned/annoyed about the “pretty girl” line and I have to admit that anyone who knows this fanbase knows that that could be taken as a low blow. However in a realism term it’s actually pretty likely a guy would call more than one girl using that term. If it’s a way someone speaks they are likely to say that to whoever they are intimate with at the time. I know this is OTH, but I’d say you could argue pretty girl would be just a Lucas thing, not a BL thing, just happens we only saw him say it to Brooke before now on the show. Still BL fans, I know see that as special to that couple and apparently Chad knows that, so I definitely think he could have chosen his words more carefully there, unless it was his deliberate intent to offend of course. I doubt that somehow. There are definitely a lot of other phrases he could have used though just to avoid the problem.

I don’t see any problem with the rain thing. Yes NH and BL have had rain, but not for deaths like that and that is just an archetypal ending for those kind of movies that Chad was emulating; the hero holding his dead love in his arms with the rain pouring down. I thought it added to the scene and was in keeping with the feel of the ending.

Overall I thought Chad did pretty great for his first try and I’d love to see him write more episodes, but try his hand at normal ones. I think the whole Casablanca thing was something he was really eager to go for and for me it worked for a one off, but obviously if he were ever to write more, it’s not something I’d like to really see repeated. This may be my favourite AU episode, but I’m not a big fan of AU episodes in general as they do very little or nothing to advance the main plots. I feel like Chad probably hit on a Dick Tracy feel than actually achieving anything close to Casablanca, but that’s still pretty good for what he was attempting. The behaviours, characterisation and dialogue were so much like a 40’s style movie. I’m not sure if that has led people off with criticising the acting, but for me it was right on with that kind of style, much more reserved and then with the emotion coming in sudden outbursts. My only major complaint still remains that they shot it in colour, it just never felt right until I turned the colour on my TV off and then it was great, but not everyone will want/be bothered to do that and I don’t think without it, the episode gets seen in the way it was meant to. I know they wanted to shoot in B/W but apparently it was too expensive, go figure. Sometimes it annoys me how the CW treats this show when they let less successful ones spend way more.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:34 AM
Fan Forum Star

after the premiere I had watched only one episode of this season, because I'm really not liking the show as it is now. But I watched this episode because Chad wrote it, of course. And I really enjoyed it. The fact there was none of the storylines that are currently happening on OTH was a good premise for me to like it. Then little Brooke and all the secondary characters in the background as it should always be made the episode even better.

I really liked it and I didn't find the acting bad as some others did. Some actors were better than others, but overall it was all good. Paul owned the episode, in my opinion. He was awesome. And I loved to see the bad guy Dan again, it's always entertaining. After Paul comes Joy: stunning, amazing, beautiful, classy. I'm glad we got this AU episode set in the past because I found it was perfect for Joy, she really shined and not only while singing.

LP I really liked them in this episode. The glances in Karen's Cafè reminded me of season 1 and it gave me a nostalgic feeling. The show was way better then and so was LP. I loved the scene on the bridge and of course the last one, which was very touching and romantic. I loved also the banter between the two, which has always been part of LP.

NH I've been findind NH boring as hell for years. But I loved them in this episode. It was nice to see them fall in love again and even though some things were cheesy, I fond myself smiling at their scenes. They were all really beautiful and sweet. Yes, they were cheesy, but I'm a romantic girl and I like cheesy sometimes. I loved especially the goodbye in the end and Joy's tears were amazing. It was great to see them all over each other, something that on the real OTH time the couple has lost, in my opinion.

I appreciated the overall storyline and the part every character had in it. Mouth, Skills, Julian, Owen, I didn't mind any of them because they were actually part of a storyline concerning the main characters and they were in the background as it's supposed to be when it comes to secondary characters as those are. Skills playing the piano in the first scene cracked me up, he was awesome. Seeing Mouth get killed was fun, considering most of the fanbase actually would love that in the real OTH

I think this was a great job from Chad, especially for being his first episode as a writer. I liked the little throwbacks to the past seasons of OTH. I miss the old OTH very much, so to see pieces of it felt great to me.

One thing I really loved and I thank Chad for is that most of the scenes were actually longer than 30 seconds, as instead it usually is on One Tree Hill. To have many short scenes makes the show seem like it's put together in a very bad way, while this episode, with long scenes and sometimes long dialogues was refreshing and enjoyable. There was one general storyline plus NH and all felt connected and I didn't lose myself trying to keep up with 100 storylines as it happens instead on OTH now.

Props to Chad for writing this episode, making it work, giving the most talented actors, Joy and Paul, a chance to shine, and giving people like me, who feels disconnected with the current OTH, an episode where we could see our fave couples fall in love again and with throwbacks to things we loved and still are part of us.

and props to Paul and Joy, who shined through the episode and once again proved how talented they are. Joy was also the most beautiful in this episode, the only one, in my opinion, that really fit with that period. You can totally say how her beauty has no time.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Total Fan

ILU Chad

I thought his episode was great. I don't understand how it was too cheesy because classic films normally have an essence of cheese And I think Chad had the right amount of quality cheese needed.

I LOVED LP. Chad's writing of them was just, spot on. The death scene got me all choked up. Especially the little nose rub

Credit: Paul

That was such a precious and beautiful scene.

I totally LMAO at the pretty girl comment in the beginning mind. Not because of the saying and the meaning to the BL fans but because I doubt Chad even remembers he said it in the show before so the backlash about it is amusing for that factor only. I can't see Chad caring anyway. Its a general comment.

NH were pretty. I've been bored with NH since the end of S3 so last night was a nice change to enjoy their scenes. Joy looked beautiful.

Paul Johansson was incredible. He made the episode for me. Why can't Mark inject some spice back in to the Dan character other than being best friends with a 5 year old?

Chad killing Mouth was just heaven. Thank you Chad!

I'll say it again ILU Chad
Old 11-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Master Fan

I still haven't watched it but squee ! I am so waiting for it !
Old 11-18-2008, 11:48 AM
Fan Forum Hero

that animation melt my heart, look at Lucas's face
Old 11-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Master Fan

I absolutely loved this episode. Chad did an amazing job writing this, I loved how every storyline fit into one at the end, everyone had an important role, even though some were only on screen for a few minutes.

Yes, some things were cheesy, like Peyton twirling around on the bridge, but cheesy is needed, it's a nice balance to everything else being so serious.

Paul OWNED this episode, kudo's to him! It was like watching old OTH The chills going down your back, because you can't believe a man can be THAT evil. Gangsta' Dan
Austin did a great job aswell, I thought he was an amazing side kick, and pulled the role off very well, loved the toothpick bit.

All of the small hints to earlier episode, it really must have been hard for Chad to work all of those things in, and give them all a meaning, but he did great.

I loved the dynamic between Brooke, Lucas and Peyton. Seeing Lucas and Peyton fall for eachother all over again, and Nathan and Haley
Nathan and Haley's romance reminded me of the movie Pearl Harbor, one of my favorite movies, so that was amazing to watch.

Lucas was the center of the episode, thank you Chad, thank you!! You know what we want, I only wish Mark did aswell.

Killing off Mouth was funny, but it was such a strong scene, and never in my mind had I thought Mouth's character could pull that off, but he did.

I agree, certain scenes would have been better B/W, and it's rather laughable that the CW wouldn't dish out the money for it, seeing as OTH is one of their highest rated shows. Kinda ironic that B/W is expensive

Awesome episode, it exceeded my expectations, and I'm so proud of Chad for pulling this off. Our guy is filled with talent

icon; gracery | Marie
Old 11-18-2008, 03:11 PM
Passionate Fan

First, thanks for the reviews, clips, the pics and the ani. Didn't they all look fantastic! And Chad in the rain...oh my.

So glad for Chad that most of the reviews and comments I've read so far have been positive. I think we'll be hearing a lot more about it from outside the forum.

Sometimes when you see or hear too much about a movie or an episode and you're really looking forward to watching it yourself, it turns out to be disappointing or not as good as the build up but this epi lived up to its promise I thought.

The only criticism, well not really a criticism, lets say the only thing I would have wanted to see (and always do really) is an open-mouth kiss or kisses. OTH actors tend to shy away from this. But I would really like to see them going for it now and then. Idk maybe it's just me but take Naley in this epi for example, to be so in love and with Nate leaving for war, it would've had deeper meaning to see a "real" kiss.

Beautiful episode though, want to watch again to pick up on anything I might have missed.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Master Fan

Okay, first, idk why but I think the whole boe tie, suspenders and hat thing Chad rocked half the ep was SOO freaking hot.

I was amazed how "young" he looked in this ep too. The first 40's scene where he was snapping his fingers, he looked as young as he did in the Gilmore Girls days. Made me sigh, heh. Other than that I think the whole cast had the hair and clothes from hell I could barely stand to look at 'em. I couldn't pay attention to the ep cause I just kept looking at their hair

The Julian & Skills thing happened so suddenly I was like woah, wait, WHAT?!?!

NH were fast - like they were in the show. Cute though.

Peyton annoyed me really. And the whole bridge scene was just WAY too much Dude, stop twirling.

Their accents kept coming and going. One second they talked normal, next they sounded like they were auditioning for Gone With The Wind. That kinda threw me off.

I found the Mouth thing sad When I heard he died I thought I would laugh cause 99.9% of the time I can't stand him, but it was sad

I loved Skills "I'm comin too" haha. Idk why but it cracked me up

Peyton told him she loved him when she was dying That was funny. Maybe only to me, but yeah *look*

The end - WTF was up with her falling and grabbing her side? She got kidney stones or something That was kinda stupid.

But anyways, i thought it was pretty good. Chad granted the wish of many by killing Peyton off, so i can't complain. heh.

Joy and Paul pwned the whole ep though. They were by far the best. When they kissed, i was so shocked, i almost fell off my couch Hilarious!! I guess Chad noticed they have some crazy chemistry haha.

On another note, does anyone else find it weird that at the top of LP's bed there's a pic of BP? With their history, it just seems weird haha.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:39 AM
Addicted Fan

I can say that the eppy as a whole was okay to me. I loved Joy's preformance though. She definitely shinned throughout the whole episode and her voice just fits that era so well. I loved her musical number. I also loved the Naley story, it was really good. gotta say Paul's acting was awesome as well. loved Sophia as always but felt like we didn't get quite enough of her in this eppy.

i'm not a big Leyton fan but i actually enjoyed the scene where they were walking on the bridge and the death scene in the rain was good although i was hoping someone would shoot Dan in the end as well.

something i was wondering too was if in this story Dan was Lucas' father seeing as how their last name was both Scott. i can only assume they were related in someway and i figured Nathan was just a friend and employee of Lucas because they never mentioned his last name.

one big problem i did have with the episode that pretty much tainted the viewing experience for me was the very begining when Lucas answered the phone, "Hey Pretty Girl." to Peyton. it really bugged me, seeing as how that nickname has always been associated with Brooke. I found it disrespectful to her character as well as the Brucas fanbase. even if they are not going to revisit the couple, the writers, in this case CMM, should at least respect that there is a huge fanbase that loved that couple and may not want pet names or thigs specifically associated with Brucas to be recycled and passed off as Leyton traemarks all of the suddedn. it really, really irked me and i felt like it was a blatant slap in the face to Brucas fans.

PHICK♥JASAM♥Clois♥TnT♥PHELANIE♥CARBO♥Brucas♥VILLY♥Jannie♥Carson♥Jara♥Nookie♥Rylee♥ Jolie♥ Mabby♥Shelle♥ET♥Lumi ♥Shack♥LL2
Old 11-19-2008, 02:46 AM
Master Fan

can I comment on the last part you wrote ? I still haven't watched it but I actually think maybe Chad wanted to use some kind of surprise element with Lucas's relationship so He used that nickname , I remember that Mark did the same with a nickname\some thing that was associated with LP to LL to BL , I remember that . I really do think it was a surprise element more then anything.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Total Fan

I don't think Chad even remembers the pretty girl line. That was over three years ago. And I definately don't think he put it in there to insult the BL fans AT ALL. I really don't. Chad isn't that type.

Besides, Mark would have edited his script if he wanted too. Mark has the overall power.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

The thing is Lucas calling Peyton or Brooke "Pretty girl" is just a shallow term of undergarment a boyfriend/fiance/husband would say. Had Lucas called Peyton "cheery" then I'd feel offended. Peyton is anything but cheery. But also I think Chad wanted to incorporate it in the LP scene where he ends up telling her she's beautiful so yeah Beautiful>>>Pretty

I think Chad should write another episode a normal one though. Its a shame people did not stay to watch the rest the second half of the episode was the best part. Still not the best episode of the season but If I were Mark I'd give Chad another chance at writing a normal one because thats actually the real challenge IMO.