Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-06-2010, 10:07 AM
New Fan

Question about Scrubs - The Complete Collection

Hi. I just registered here to ask a question... I'm not sure if this is the "main" or most active Scrubs forum, but it's the first one Google turned up.

I was in Walmart and saw Scrubs The Complete Collection for 139.99 (Canadian).
It seemed like a pretty good deal except that one of our other Walmarts had been selling the seasons for 10.93 each... so that would be cheaper I suppose, but I don't think they had seasons 8 or 9.

Just so you know this is all theoretical, because I don't know if I like the show enough to pay that much for all of it, but here's my story:

I bought Season 1 for 10.93 and it turned out the discs were bad. A couple episodes played, but after trying it on five different devices, a lot of them just wouldn't play, and not due to scratches. So I returned it (in a different, but close by) town's Walmart, thinking that if the other one had a bad batch of discs, this one's would be different. Same story, defective as well, and no scratches whatsoever. However, I didn't think that would happen so I had thrown away the receipt (stupidly). So I've got a semi-working Season one.

Anyway, I think I like the show a lot. It's hilarious and has some cool characters. (that's from seeing about seven, eight episodes or so.)

But, from looking on Amazon I found some worrying (or at least infuriating) news.

Apparently this Complete Collection is all in Fullscreen? I can't seem to get any proper info. One of the reviews, posted before it was even released, linked a source that said it was all fullscreen, but I can't seem to find any reviews of it now that it HAS been released.

It said that they had shot it in WS since the start and were releasing it WS on blu-ray, which sounds pretty crappy to begin with, but supposedly Seasons 8 and 9 were broadcast in WS and THEY'RE being released FS too? BUT! More evidence: the Amazon description says clearly WIDESCREEN.

So, does anyone have this set, or have some concrete info for me?
I'm actually considering getting this. (It's so annoying to have season one but not be able to watch it properly).
Old 10-06-2010, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Fan

Hi Gibush first off welcome to Scrubs

The complete collection is basically all the previous discs combined with a bonus disc not found elsewhere and some extra knick knacks that to me seem like junk.

The show was shot with Widescreen protected but it was mainly framed for 4:3 for the first seven seasons except one season finale on NBC that went out in widescreen and in HD as a test. Due to the cost of scanning super 16mm it just was not cost effective to keep on doing it. And there's a big hub bub about if super 16mm is good enough for HD (Here in the UK its deemed not to be by some broadcasters) since it can be very grainy.

Season Eight and Nine went out on ABC and I guess they were given the extra money to edit in widescreen HD.

Only real reason I can see why the DVD's are all 4:3 "fullscreen" is due to them wanting episodes to be fluid from start to finish on DVD.

I have Seasons 1-9 on DVD and all are fullscreen.

Since its protected for widescreen one day we could get the lot on Blu-ray or in syndication if moneys spent going back to the original film.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Please use the question thread. And guys please don't reply until the posts have been moved, kind of defeats the purpose of us organizing then.

Closing.

Dean&Castiel

_avi:unknown