Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 11-25-2003, 06:06 AM
Elite Fan

Tyne Daly/Maxine Gray Appreciation Thread

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] [img]smilies/star.gif[/img] Tyne Daly/Maxine Gray Appreciation - "Tough Still Charming!" [img]smilies/star.gif[/img] [img]smilies/star.gif[/img]

Tyne Daly Biography

Date of birth (location): 21 February 1946 (Madison, Wisconsin, USA)

The daughter and sister respectively of actors James Daly and Tim Daly, American actress Tyne Daly was destined early on to enter the family business. After graduation from the American Academy of Dramatic Art, Tyne worked on stage and appeared in TV guest spots starting in the early '70s.

While applauded for her talent, Tyne found full stardom eluding her for several years during a long string of busted TV pilots like In Search of America (1971), Doctor Granger (1972), Fitzgerald and Pride (1972) and Hotshot Harry and the Rocking Chair Renegades (1979) did little to make her bankable.

Then in 1981, Tyne Daly and Loretta Swit were cast in the pilot of Cagney and Lacey, a story of two policewomen who could handle their jobs with courage and assuredness. The success of the pilot led to a series in 1982. As Detective Mary Beth Lacey, Tyne Daly fought to be accepted on equal terms with her male counterparts, and also struggled to maintain a normal home life as wife and mother. Her realistic portrayal earned her considerable praise from real-life law enforcement officials. Cagney and Lacey was cancelled in 1983, but brought back to the air a year later thanks to a viewers' letter-writing campaign.

By the time the series ended in 1988, Daly had won four Emmy awards for her portrayal of Lacey. In 1994 she starred opposite Kellie Martin in the short-lived TV drama Christy, and in 1995 appeared in a trio of Cagney and Lacey reunions. Since that time Tyne Daly has devoted her energies to the Broadway stage, scoring a personal triumph as Mama Rose in a revival of the 1959 musical Gypsy, and in 1995 she appeared in a supporting role in the TV-movie remake of Bye Bye Birdie.

Info Credit: Yahoo!
Further Info: IMDB

So com'on post ahead and discuss anything related to Tyne and her character Maxine. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/love.gif[/img], nikki

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 11-25-2003, 04:53 PM
Elite Fan

me too. i think it's great how maxine is still touched by everything she sees and experiences at work. with all the misery around a character which is less strong would diminish and numb. but maxine is still passionate about her job and its goals. i think this is cool. and i really like maxine's fights with kimberly [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] - kimber really is a bad example for her "guild".

[ 11-25-2003: Message edited Honeymink ]

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 12-03-2003, 12:50 PM
Elite Fan

basically i'd agree on the "lack of respect towards authorities" bit. on the other hand i think it's understandable as she has been in charge once: as far as i got it, she once had Sean's job and old habits die hard. besides, if you've got the feeling you've watched sth. long enough without being able to actually do sth. - you get impatient and loose your sense for what's appropriate in order to not step on anybodys toes. i guess that's how maxine feels pretty often.

one thing i liked about her JA story-line was her romance with Jared. you hardly see elder people getting a romance story-line. at least i can't think of too many. the only other elder couple that comes to my mind would be Irv/Edna on Everwood.

on Tyne - i also think she's great. i'm a fan of her since her Cagney & Lacey days. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-03-2003, 05:53 PM
Elite Fan

i guess i missed that part about her not being able to handle it - i always thought she just retired. did they mention the circumstances?

on jared - i think the reason the let him die on the show was, that the actor (richard crenna) died. and i'm actually thankful that they didn't try to find a substitute because that never works out.

if he didn't die, i believe they would have played it along for a while as they did - him doing business in china and maxine staying with amy. and wasn't maxine supposed to move in with jared?

Old 12-04-2003, 12:40 PM
Addicted Fan

I don't like substitutes at all, they always seem like a lame excuse to me. I also think it is better to let a character die- not to send him away into a foreign country or anything stupid like that.
If a story ends that way it always leaves me behind so unsatisfied. But if someone dies, I at least know that that part is over and that something new can start. (Of course, I am talking about TV shows, not about real life [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]).
My innocent eyes
Old 12-04-2003, 12:47 PM
Elite Fan

i think it's always pretty weird - you can be as much of a fan of the series as you want and you can be willing to give the new actor/actress a chance - but in the end it's very likely you don't like it since you relate the character to the person who played the character first.

it's sad that Richard Crenna passed away. i'd really loved to see them explore Jared/Maxine further - they were a really cute couple. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-13-2003, 04:28 AM
Elite Fan

I love Tyne's work. I never feel like she's acting- very flawless actress.

I loved the episode when she lost her dog and spent the whole episode not showing her grief until at the end when she broke down. She makes her character seem so real with her portrayal.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:06 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelly_mvpics:
<STRONG>I loved the episode when she lost her dog and spent the whole episode not showing her grief until at the end when she broke down. She makes her character seem so real with her portrayal.</STRONG>
I remembered that episode... that was a good one. I like the ones when she tries to hide her true feelings.

Did you see the one when she was sitting in her car in the rain and Sean saw her, when he got into the car she broke down about her feeling on Amy's upcoming wedding? That was a good one too.
Old 12-14-2003, 02:31 AM
Elite Fan

That was a great scene.
She plays her character so strong and then lets us see a glimpse into her insecurities and weaknesses- it always makes those moments all the more powerful because of that.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:37 PM
Elite Fan

haven't seen that one. but after everything you wrote, i'm so looking forward to it!

Old 01-17-2004, 11:31 AM
Addicted Fan

A few pictures of Maxine/Tyne:

My innocent eyes
Old 04-06-2004, 05:36 PM
Elite Fan

I thought a picture would brighten up the mood here. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]furthermore - com'on guys - there must be some maxine fans out there! [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

Old 07-11-2004, 06:16 AM
Elite Fan

Com'on, where's the Maxine love???

Maybe with a little help from some pics?

I'll post more at the picture thread...

Old 07-12-2004, 06:58 PM
Passionate Fan

I'm a Maxine Fan! She is an awesome actress! Get this thread goin again!

avi credit to lovely lauren
Old 07-13-2004, 05:28 AM
Elite Fan

I just saw the episode where Sean asks her to tell Ignacio that he'd like to date his daughter. Maxine was so priceless in her response!