Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2004, 06:13 PM
Elite Fan

"Cheaper By The Coven" Episode Discussion (Oct. 28th Rerun)

http://www.thewb.com/Shows/Episode/0...||2020,00.html

charmed: Cheaper by the Coven

Fresh | sunday | 8/7c

Against Piper's (Holly Marie Combs) wishes, Paige (Rose McGowan) and Phoebe (Alyssa Milano) summon Grams (guest-star Jennifer Rhodes) for Chris' wiccaning. To put an end to the brother's sibling rivalry, Grams puts a spell on them, but in the process turns the sisters back to bickering teenagers. Meanwhile, Leo (Brian Krause) consults a demonic seer (guest-star Charisma Carpenter) to find out who attacked Wyatt and learns that he has a connection to Wyatt's attacker, and Phoebe attends an award ceremony with Les (guest-star Nick Lachey), only to end up acting like a love-struck teenager.

Derek Johansen directed the episode written by Mark Wilding.

Last edited by Movietime Blues; 10-26-2004 at 06:52 AM
Movietime Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 06:24 PM
Fan Forum Star

Piccie 1, Piccie 2, Piccie 3, Piccie 4

I've got sunshine
on a cloudy day

Holly ©
kostilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 11:06 AM
Moderator Support Team

this thread is more for discussions about the ep than for pics

but thanks holly

Sophie Devereaux is the finest actress you've ever seen, when she's breaking the law.

LEVERAGE campaign

Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 12:23 AM
Elite Fan

Well it could have been better, but having Charisma on really made the show for me.

She and BK have good sexual chemistry I think. Loved how she played him, I'm going to enjoy her character.

Phoebe/Les...blah!
Old 09-27-2004, 06:06 AM
Addicted Fan

I thought it was a pretty good ep, it definetly kept me cracked up with them fighting like teenagers even though it was a bit wierd that they still remembered all of the things that are in thier adult lives, and they brought up the "P" word (Prue)

Piper: I love her she's been so more animated this season with all of her actions and she seems more active and lively this season, and my god every week they seem to want to tease us more and more about her and Leo, I just say get it over with and stop teasing us for god sakes

Phoebe: Ugh I dont know I still dont like the whole Nick Lachey thing and it just seems crammed into our faces saying this is her new love she's pry going to have his kid get used to it

Paige: Was she actually in this ep? It seemed like if you blinked you missed her. Well it looks like she might get her fair share of tv time next week. But did think it was cute with that teacher? I guess thats what that guy was the only reason I remember him is cause he has the same name as my fiancee

Leo: I think he had great chemisty with Cordy...err I mean Charisma, and I really no make that REALLY!! Like how his character is this season I was getting tired of him being passive and letting the girls take the initiative

Victor, Grams, Patty: Aww it just reminded me how much I love these characters . It was funny how they were bickering the whole time and how Victor was trying to call for Leo

Charisma: Like I said she was great her and Brian had some great scenes can't wait to see what they do with her next

Well I'm gonna miss next weeks ep cause I'm getting married but it doesnt look like I'm going to miss much woo hoo Phoebe makes out with Les and Paige finds a pirate sheesh. Anyway good ep loved it from the begining to the end
Old 09-27-2004, 03:15 PM
Banned

I had decided to watch this episode, because it featured Charisma Carpenter, who played one of my favorite characters from BUFFY and ANGEL.

Now, I'm not going to say that I wish I hadn't. It wasn't a terrible episode - like "Hyde School Reunion" or "Pre-Witched". But it was nothing special. And I could see that the show has definitely jumped the shark.

1) Charisma Carpenter - only two scenes? That's it? And what was with the skimpy costume? At least she was entertaining and gave a good performance.

2) Brian Krause - good performance. He, along with James Read, Charisma Carpenter and Jennifer Rhodes probably saved the episode.

3) Wyatt's guilt - I had been expecting a further exploration of Leo's dark side, and instead we were given a cop out. Wyatt is harboring guilt over his parents' breakup. A one year-old? I was one year old, when my parents had separated. I don't recall feeling any guilt. I don't even remember the circumstances that led to my parents' breakup. If Phoebe - who was probably nearly one when Patty and Victor broke up - never harbored such feelings, why would Wyatt, who is at least one-and-a-half?

4) The sisters' regression - NOT INTERESTING. I had seen this all before in episodes like "Be Careful What You Witch For", "Once Upon a Time" and "Hyde School Reunion". Why did the writers have to use this old "sisters regress in age"schlitck again? Why? I could have been spared of Alyssa Milano's baby voice.

I also spotted two plot inconsistencies.

One thing I was really confused about was Grams and Piper reminiscing about "the talk." How could this be true? The girls' power was bound before they were teenagers and in the first episodes the girls acted like they never knew their grandmother was a witch. Therefore how could there ever have been a "talk?"

I agree. How could Grams have given a teenaged Piper "the talk" about her being a witch? Especially since Piper, Phoebe and Prue had no idea that she was a witch, when they were teenagers?

Also, Grams had summoned the past Halliwell line to witness Chris' wiccaning. The past "Halliwell" line? Didn't she mean the past "Warren" line? Patty was the first Halliwell to be a witch. Or had the writers forgotten?

A lot of viewers have been complaining that Nick Lahey is a lousy actor. After seeing "Cheaper By the Coven", I disagree. He is at best, an adequate actor. However, Nick Lahey reminded me that the quality of leading actors on CHARMED have really gone downhill. Lately, all of them seemed to have that shallow, pretty-boy aura that seemed to be so commonplace on the WB network.

One last thing - Grams used spells to break up sibling arguments? This was her idea of raising children? No wonder her daughter and granddaughters ended up screwed.

Because of Brian Krause, James Read, Charisma Carpenter and Jennifer Rhodes, I'd give this episode a C-.
AuntEverest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 07:57 PM
Elite Fan

I may be in the minority here, but... I didn't really care for Grams in this episode. She was annoying, and I like her less and less every time they put her in an episode. Considering the fact that she is dead and has all of eternity to continue the conversation she was having when summoned, I thought it was quite rude, as well as out of character, for her to simply say it was a bad time. And, if she is "watching over them" then how is it that she knows so little about what happens between visits. I mean, she knew that Leo had killed Gideon, but had no clue that she had a second grandson? Talk about messed up priorities.

Seeing Charisma was nice. She is looking really good. I especially like that she has long hair again. She just looks better (to me at least) with longer hair. Her outfit was similar to that of the oracle that we saw in a previous season, so maybe that is what they were doing there, although the other seer was fully clothed all of the time, so I don't know what to say in regards to that.

I agree that the scenes between Charisma and Brian were really good. They do have great onscreen chemistry, but since Leo belongs with Piper, I hope that they don't try to explore that.

It is sad that Nick Lachey's character is only there to give Phoebe someone to lust after. If I were Nick, I would be upset. Then again, maybe he likes it. I don't have much of a problem with his acting ability (or lack thereof) because we haven't really seen him do much.

Whoever it was that said the "childhood regression" thing was way overused was totally right. Besides, that isn't what was supposed to have happened, anyway. it was the rivalry that was taken from Chris and Wyatt, not their childhoods. Plus, the girls seemed to change their mental ages a few times while under the influence of the spell, so that is probably just some more inconsistency with the writers.

The thing that upset me most, though, was just before the beginning credits, when Paige scared off the "demon" that was attacking Wyatt. Wyatt was in the crib, crying, and instead of going to him to comfort him, Paige just turned around and looked at Phoebe and Grams. Phoebe was taking care of Grams. Paige should have done what any loving aunt would have done, and gone over to pick Wyatt up and comfort him.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:52 PM
Passionate Fan

I miss the episode. My VCR went funky and didn't tape it. And it had to be the one with Charisma in it!
Does someone knows where I could find it?

Icon by me
dawnie@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 08:15 AM
Moderator Support Team

i still havent seen the ep.. hopefully i´ll see it tomorrow

Sophie Devereaux is the finest actress you've ever seen, when she's breaking the law.

LEVERAGE campaign

Old 09-28-2004, 04:32 PM
Elite Fan

This one was a pretty likeable episode for me. Bringing back Grams, Victor and Patty brought back much of the old Charmed feeling. It was as if all the "generations" of Charmed were all there in one place. You can notice the difference in attitude, etc..

Charisma did her best with the few scenes she was given, although I know that she will return in a future episode.

The gallery:

http://i.cnn.net/v5cache/THEWB/Image...-GL-01_2x3.jpg
http://i.cnn.net/v5cache/THEWB/Image...-GL-02_2x3.jpg
http://i.cnn.net/v5cache/THEWB/Image...-GL-03_2x3.jpg
http://i.cnn.net/v5cache/THEWB/Image...-GL-04_2x3.jpg
http://i.cnn.net/v5cache/THEWB/Image...-GL-05_2x3.jpg
http://i.cnn.net/v5cache/THEWB/Image...-GL-06_2x3.jpg
http://i.cnn.net/v5cache/THEWB/Image...-GL-07_2x3.jpg
http://i.cnn.net/v5cache/THEWB/Image...-GL-08_2x3.jpg
http://i.cnn.net/v5cache/THEWB/Image...-GL-09_2x3.jpg
http://i.cnn.net/v5cache/THEWB/Image...-GL-10_2x3.jpg
http://i.cnn.net/v5cache/THEWB/Image...-GL-11_2x3.jpg
http://i.cnn.net/v5cache/THEWB/Image...-GL-12_2x3.jpg
http://i.cnn.net/v5cache/THEWB/Image...-GL-13_2x3.jpg
http://i.cnn.net/v5cache/THEWB/Image...-GL-14_2x3.jpg
http://i.cnn.net/v5cache/THEWB/Image...-GL-15_2x3.jpg
http://i.cnn.net/v5cache/THEWB/Image...-GL-16_2x3.jpg

Old 09-28-2004, 09:56 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by AuntEverest
Wyatt's guilt - I had been expecting a further exploration of Leo's dark side, and instead we were given a cop out. Wyatt is harboring guilt over his parents' breakup. A one year-old? I was one year old, when my parents had separated. I don't recall feeling any guilt. I don't even remember the circumstances that led to my parents' breakup. If Phoebe - who was probably nearly one when Patty and Victor broke up - never harbored such feelings, why would Wyatt, who is at least one-and-a-half?
I agree. I was thinking the same thing. There is no way Wyatt, at 2 (which is how old Piper said he was in the episode) understands in any way what is going on. They said he was powerful, but they never said that he is wise beyond his years. If he is, you would think he would be mad at having to stay so small...

Also, when Leo was talking to Wyatt at the end I wanted to laugh because you could tell Wyatt had no idea what he was even talking about.

Quote:

The sisters' regression - NOT INTERESTING. I had seen this all before in episodes like "Be Careful What You Witch For", "Once Upon a Time" and "Hyde School Reunion". Why did the writers have to use this old "sisters regress in age"schlitck again? Why? I could have been spared of Alyssa Milano's baby voice.
Again, totally agree. I also agree with Mr. Impatient that they weren't even consistent with what age they had digressed to. At times they seemed like they were themselves 2 (which would make sense because of how old Wyatt is), but Victor said they were teenagers again.

Quote:

I also spotted two plot inconsistencies.

One thing I was really confused about was Grams and Piper reminiscing about "the talk." How could this be true? The girls' power was bound before they were teenagers and in the first episodes the girls acted like they never knew their grandmother was a witch. Therefore how could there ever have been a "talk?"

I agree. How could Grams have given a teenaged Piper "the talk" about her being a witch? Especially since Piper, Phoebe and Prue had no idea that she was a witch, when they were teenagers?
I thought the same thing at first, but I think that Grams was talking about herself being a witch. The girls knew (I think? I missed most of season 1) that Gram's was a witch. I could be wrong here, as I said I missed most of season one.

Quote:

Also, Grams had summoned the past Halliwell line to witness Chris' wiccaning. The past "Halliwell" line? Didn't she mean the past "Warren" line? Patty was the first Halliwell to be a witch. Or had the writers forgotten?
I thought Penny had kept the name Halliwell when she married, hence keeping the Halliwell name?? Again, could be wrong here.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Impatient
I may be in the minority here, but... I didn't really care for Grams in this episode. She was annoying, and I like her less and less every time they put her in an episode. Considering the fact that she is dead and has all of eternity to continue the conversation she was having when summoned, I thought it was quite rude, as well as out of character, for her to simply say it was a bad time. And, if she is "watching over them" then how is it that she knows so little about what happens between visits. I mean, she knew that Leo had killed Gideon, but had no clue that she had a second grandson? Talk about messed up priorities.
I actually agree with you. I thought it odd that Grams didn't know about Chris, but I think she knew about Gideon from being "up there". I am sure that is all everyone is talking about.

Quote:

Whoever it was that said the "childhood regression" thing was way overused was totally right. Besides, that isn't what was supposed to have happened, anyway. it was the rivalry that was taken from Chris and Wyatt, not their childhoods. Plus, the girls seemed to change their mental ages a few times while under the influence of the spell, so that is probably just some more inconsistency with the writers.
Well, Grams explained this as the rivalry went into the nearest siblings. I figured this hadn't happened when she did on the girls when they were younger because there were no other siblings around, or maybe it drifted around until it found siblings, but Grams just didn't know. So, that is why they were fighting with each other all the time. I just don't understand the regression. You would think that they would just have sibling rivalry as adults.

Quote:
The thing that upset me most, though, was just before the beginning credits, when Paige scared off the "demon" that was attacking Wyatt. Wyatt was in the crib, crying, and instead of going to him to comfort him, Paige just turned around and looked at Phoebe and Grams. Phoebe was taking care of Grams. Paige should have done what any loving aunt would have done, and gone over to pick Wyatt up and comfort him.
I TOTALLY AGREE!! I was thinking the same exact thing!! "Hello, Paige!! Turn around and hug your scared little nephew!!" I hate those pauses before commercials where the characters just stand there with this look on their face (whether it be fear, disbelief, stunned, whatever).

Whew!

Oh- I agree that Nick Lachey does not appear to be a strong actor. But, he is a musician after all! I don't know why he thought he could act! I just really hope he isn't the father of Phoebe's baby. I would like to see the father be someone that Phoebe really cares about. Leslie just seems to be all about lust and she acts like a complete idiot around him (understandably mostly spell induced, but still).
GenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 05:23 PM
Moderator Support Team

@Aunteverest.. i dont even know why you still watch the show if you think its just crap.. well almost.. dont get me wrong .. its nothing against you but i mean everyone does have his own opinion.. but you just .. i dont know .. bashing all around the show sometimes..

i agree with some parts of what you said.. but i dont need a further explanation into leos darkside.. i think it was good how it was.. and just for your information..wyatt is two years old .. and as a tow years old .. you can imagine things and feeling guilet.. well propably not as much as they shown in the show (on this part i agree)

about carisma.. just two scenes (thats the second part i agree of).. i´d like to see her more

i loved seeing jennifer Rhodes and Finola Hughes ...they playes really well

first i was all exited about the Phoebe / Leslie thing .. but now .. hmm i dont know anymore.. we´ll see

LEVERAGE campaign

Old 09-30-2004, 08:06 AM
Master Fan

I personally didn't enjoy this episode at all. The 'regressing' thing was old the first three thousand times they've done it, and they screwed continuity more in this one episode than they have before.

Charisma was pretty weak (IMO) but that may just be the material she was given. All in all, a pretty blah episode, and I just wish Lachey would leave already. He was in way too many scenes, and I. Just. Don't. Care. about his stupid storyline with Phoebe either.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:20 PM
Master Fan

Interestingly enough, this was the first episode of Charmed I've ever seen and I think it might have gotten me hooked a little.

Age-a-licious's Bootylicious Nsync Fanfiction Page
Age-a-licious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 04:34 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Age-a-licious
Interestingly enough, this was the first episode of Charmed I've ever seen and I think it might have gotten me hooked a little.
Welcome to the show. We're very happy to have you here.

If you need to ask anything about the show, you can peruse the threads at this board, or you can PM me or Lorelai Obsessed. We'll do our best to assist you.

Reply   Post New Thread