Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-27-2009, 06:39 AM
Supreme Fan

Same here - I was expecting a lot more because it was the first episode of a new season and because I thought the last episode of season 1 (silence) was an amazing episode. I was hoping they would go more in the direction they were heading at the end of season 1, where we get to see Joan's struggle and wondering about God and what she's been seeing rather than what we actually saw, which was basically Joan shutting down that part of her that might believe in talking to God. I know that could be the way she as a character would cope, but honestly I don't think so. Joan as a character has always been really open and not one to just believe in absolutes, so her reaction to the Lyme disease and possibility that she wasn't actually talking to God didn't seem to fit with her character...

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 03-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Passionate Fan

Yeah, you're right, that is certainly a valid response of how someone would react in that situation. But not quite as fitting with Joan as perhaps it could be. I understand her needing reassurance, and questioning it, but not so much her shut off, although it was relatively easily reversed. I would have thought I more hesistant and continual questioning as well, rather than switching straight back to believing again. It is rather an absolute, which like you said doesn't quite fit with Joan.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:45 AM
Supreme Fan

Well said

I was really surprised that they never had Luke find out about Joan talking to God - to me, he would have been one of the best people to let find out and the writers created that opening when Joan talked with Luke about God and Luke said God does make sense. It also might have helped expand his character a bit from just "science Luke" to more than that - they really played up the geek factor for him, but it would have been interesting to see him dealing with both science and God.

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 04-03-2009, 06:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I agree. I would of loved to of Luke to of found out about Joan talking to God. It kind of reminds me in Wonderfalls when Jaye told Aaron about the muses
Old 04-09-2009, 03:04 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriela (View Post)
Well said

I was really surprised that they never had Luke find out about Joan talking to God - to me, he would have been one of the best people to let find out and the writers created that opening when Joan talked with Luke about God and Luke said God does make sense. It also might have helped expand his character a bit from just "science Luke" to more than that - they really played up the geek factor for him, but it would have been interesting to see him dealing with both science and God.
That would have been very interesting - how a man of science would have reacted to something which could not have been proven, whether he would have just accepted it because of his brotherly love for Joan, or whether he'd have thought she had just a "miscellaneous complex".

Oh, and from what I've watched so far, I have found the cop-stuff rather tedious as well. It doesn't really seem to fit with the rest of the episode more often than not, and it doesn't really show any growth in Will's character.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:00 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar (View Post)

Oh, and from what I've watched so far, I have found the cop-stuff rather tedious as well. It doesn't really seem to fit with the rest of the episode more often than not, and it doesn't really show any growth in Will's character.
I can see some merit in them using that to demonstrate how static Will is in his views, contrast with Joan who is so much more open. Also interesting to compare to Helen's trying to find, or re-find faith. But yes, overall they weren't the most enjoyable part for me.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:42 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar (View Post)

I think that's what bothers me most - Will's character doesn't really show a progression to me. Every other character in some way has some sort of growth and Will really doesn't seem to.

I do think the cop scenes had their place, at least in the beginning of the show, to kind of be an active demonstration of what God through Joan is fighting against - how life can be without the presence of God and people reaching out to one another. In the end, though, they just started using the cop scenes to add more drama, which didn't work. And I know I've said this before (and it probably won't be the last time), but they used the blue filter too much!!

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 04-09-2009, 07:10 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I think the cop scenes have worked a couple of times in Bringeth it On and with the Ramsay storyline.

I still fast forward it.

I re-watched Silence the other night .... I loved the scene when they thought the reason for Joan actiing different was caused by the lyme disease and Adam commented on how he only knows her as she is now and not how she was before they met.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Master Fan

I think it definitely depened on the episode whether or not the cop scenes fit with the storyline. I know there were some episodes where I zoned out during the cop scenes, but then others, they fit in really well.

As I'm rewatching my dvd's I just finished the season 1 finale. When Cute Boy God puts his hand on Joan's head at the end I wanted to I loved this episode, very powerful watching Joan struggle with her beliefs.
RK EB LP BR KP
Old 04-10-2009, 06:20 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I just watched that as well.

I'm going to start on S2 ... as I haven't watched that in a while.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Master Fan

I just finished the first 3 episodes of season 2.

I had forgotten about the hospital scene in the second episode. Judith is at the hospital for alcohol poisoning and the show ends with God and Joan hugging in the hallway and Joan is like "I'm scared I'll mess up again." I absolutely LOVE that scene. So powerful.
RK EB LP BR KP
Old 04-12-2009, 06:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

The Judith storyline was very interesting.

I know Judith wasn't a popular character, but I think she brought a different side to Joan whether it was likeable or not. Joan never really had that girlfriend friendship as she was with Adam a lot in S1.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:05 PM
Master Fan

Agreed. I wasn't a Judith fan but it did bring out a different side of Joan. She didn't get that "girl" friend from Grace, who was shut off anyways to the world.
RK EB LP BR KP
Old 04-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I was watching Dive last night and I really felt for Joan in that episode she was really missing Judith and it felt like everyone else was off on their own mission.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:55 PM
Supreme Fan

Dive is another episode I really liked - I was glad to see Judith back even though when her character was living on the show I wasn't a huge fan. CBG was in that episode wasn't he? Maybe I'm remembering wrong...

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~