Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-17-2004, 02:26 AM
New Fan

What was the song that played at the end of the episode when Adam and Joan were dancing? It wasn't a Jewel song because I downloaded Jewel's 2 Become 1 and it wasn't at all similar.
Old 01-17-2004, 02:31 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyberryShortcake:
<STRONG>What was the song that played at the end of the episode when Adam and Joan were dancing? It wasn't a Jewel song because I downloaded Jewel's 2 Become 1 and it wasn't at all similar.</STRONG>
We're still trying to find that out. Jewel's song was the one playing while Joan was still in the house. It fades out as Joan approaches Adam.
Old 01-17-2004, 02:51 AM
Extreme Fan

Someone from TWOP posted that the song we're searching for happens to be a cover song.

It's gonna drive me nuts, I know it! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Joan of Arcadia
Thank you for the ripples.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:05 AM
Obsessed Fan

Wah, it's torture--TORTURE!--being in a movie theatre, biting your nails wondering if the vcrs working. Thank goodness it did!! And I'm currently almost done downloading so I'll be able to easily rewatch and avoid the icky commercials. So I'm sure I'll be replying again once I watch it all over. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

First off, I caved and read the spoilers, so I knew watching Adam in this episode was going to be complete agony for me. It was even harder than I thought. I just wanted to *shake* Joan for brushing off Adam and acting like he kissed her. Hey missy, we were all there with the feathers, you kissed too!! But then I put myself in Joan's position and take me back to 16 and I'd whig out a lot like her.

However...my sympathies are completely with Adam. After the last episode, going through Adam's heartbreak and all, Joan should have an inner monologue running through her head all the time that says, "Be nice to Adam Rove. ALWAYS!" I mean, he read his mother's suicide note like a week ago for pete's sake! Don't shut the poor thing out.

Loved the little drug seminar and God's less than subtle references to Joan and Adam. Man, do we J/A shippers have it good...The Freakin' Almighty is on *our* side. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] But yeah, it was so cute how they kept passing glances to each other.

I loved Grace's little slide down the banister to talk to Joan. I thoroughly enjoy the little things the show gives its characters to do just for fun. I just love pretty much every darn character on this show. They make sure to give everyone some fantastic lines, many of which had me laughing out loud in this episode. And woo, I'm down downloading, so maybe I can spout back some quotes!

And Kevin needs to stop flashing that adorable "You know you love me, even when I'm being a snot" smile. It takes me like a minute to the grin off my face after being blinded by his megamegawatt smile. I love his character, especially his interaction with Joan and Luke. Sooo funny about him ragging on their popularity. And the kiss with Rebecca was really sweet. [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img]

And we ALL were right about CuteBoyGod being a big factor in the screwing with the J/A relationship. I would say "GO US!" for hitting it on the nail like that...but it made for a scene of torture and pointy things going through my shipper heart...so instead I reply "we suck". [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
And whoa...Kris' hair all OVER the place! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I was thinking, "boy, did he hang upside down for an hour before this scene or what?" Hee. I still like him and enjoy his appearance on this show, even though this instance he was the God of Bad Timing. But again...he's God...being omniscent bla blabbity bla, he knew what he was doing. Hmph.

But again, this episode ended with much squeeing!! Although, at the beginning I was afraid Adam was going to get in the car with Joan still not being able to explain things. Gah, oh yeah, he called her Joan. [img]smilies/cry.gif[/img] When he said those days were over I'd say about 35 fairies plopped to the ground dead.
Ah, but Joan found her tonge and was able to make an understanding with Adam and ask him to dance. Can they just stop making all their *firsts* so damn adorable? [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img] No, don't listen to me, it's just to sweet for words. Their dance might be the first thing I skip to when I rewatch it in a second. Soooooo cute with the swaying and the hugging and the smiling and the schmuffling....see, it's so cute I have to make up words to describe it! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Bah, and no scenes from the next. I'm guessing next week is a rerun? Bringeth it On? I certainly hope so, it's one of my faves and I don't have it on tape. We wants it. We needs it. My preeecccccioussss. (if you haven't guessed, the movie i saw tonight was Return of the King. Mmmm).

Be back in a bit! [img]smilies/glow.gif[/img]

[ 01-17-2004: Message edited NutMeg82 ]
this a prince song. the lyrics don't make much sense, but then again, neither does prince, does he? little man, symbol man, little ass, lots of women. he's like an elf - a sex elf, making fudgy sex cookies.

Matt Nathanson
Old 01-17-2004, 03:20 AM
Loyal Fan

Hey Meg. Hope you enjoyed your movie. Still haven't made it there to see Return yet. But I will...maybe.

As for the ep, yes, all of their "firsts" are way too cute. But I like cute. Puppies, kitties, bunnies, Adam and Jane... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

And "Bringeth" is airing in two weeks. "Just Say No" is next week.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:19 AM
Obsessed Fan

Ha, this was my third time seeing RotK. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] A bunch of pretty and manly men making googoo eyes at eachother?...so my kind of a movie. [img]smilies/eyebrows.gif[/img] *ahem* now that I've frightened you all away...

Rewatched the episode and I have some quotes and little comments here and there.

Haha, love Amber's performances the more I watch them. She's so cute when "ewing" over details of strip scarbble. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Ok, and "parentals"? Do people actually say this? I thought it was only what the plastic people said in teeny bopper movies. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] Just got a kick out of it, lol.

And Grace certainly isn't practicing what she preaches, because she said "Dude" several times in one scene...after previously telling Adam to drop the word from his vocabulary. Maybe she's designated it her word and doesn't want anyone else to use it. However, I believe every character in high school in this episode said "Dude" at least once. Dude. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I loved Joan's reply to Luke's statement about a party: "No, like with a bouncy castle" [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

And Kevin's reassurance to their parents about no parties: "The are *very* unpopular."

Anyone else get a kick out of Grace's locker? That long strip of words going down the length of it says: "Does this look infected?" Haha. And the bottom looked like it had various pictures of gogo boots. [img]smilies/look.gif[/img] I'll have to watch it again on the tv, cuz the VCD wasn't the best quality on my computer.

One of the funniest parts with the parents, I mean--parentals--was the whole "be that as it may" part.

And I think the fuming in my ears didn't allow me to hear that Joan really didn't want to dance with CuteBoyGod. She pretty much said "no", but God's will is God's will, you know. Couldn't escape. So I'm a bit more softened toward Joan in that situation.
this a prince song. the lyrics don't make much sense, but then again, neither does prince, does he? little man, symbol man, little ass, lots of women. he's like an elf - a sex elf, making fudgy sex cookies.

Matt Nathanson
Old 01-17-2004, 04:26 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by NutMeg82:
<STRONG>Ok, and "parentals"? Do people actually say this? I thought it was only what the plastic people said in teeny bopper movies. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] Just got a kick out of it, lol.</STRONG>
Actually, yes. My sister's friends are quite fond of the word.

Quote:
<STRONG>
And Grace certainly isn't practicing what she preaches, because she said "Dude" several times in one scene...after previously telling Adam to drop the word from his vocabulary. Maybe she's designated it her word and doesn't want anyone else to use it. However, I believe every character in high school in this episode said "Dude" at least once. Dude. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
</STRONG>
What's funny is how often I say "dude." I get comments on it all the time. Fact is, I never mean to say it. It just comes out. And I have actually been saying "cha" for quite awhile too. No wonder I love Adam so much!
Old 01-17-2004, 04:38 AM
Obsessed Fan

I don't know why I find "parentals" so funny. I could never say it with a straight face.

Oh, I'm constantly saying Dude and I'm not gonna apologize for it. I love saying it! My favorite usage is in reply to something that I don't have words to explain. Ex:
FRIEND: "Wow, Meg. Did you see the last episode of JoA with the KISS!!!???
ME: "Duuuuuuuuuude."

And *both* "cha" and "unchallenged" have crept into my vocabulary, both off and online. I'm afraid/anxious for the day when I say either word and someone calls me on it. I'll either be viewed as a nerd or find a fellow friend in our fanship of the show. [img]smilies/glow.gif[/img]

Matt Nathanson
Old 01-17-2004, 04:49 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sweetwater Gal:
<STRONG>christinedechagny, I've been waiting for your post, yo [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

</STRONG>
I'm so predictable. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I just can't shake my fascination with them. I don't know what it is. Wait, I do know. It's the chemistry. And the bantering and the way he looks at her... Ahhhh I think this is probably the first ship where you know 100% certain that nothing will ever come of it so it's so incredibly frustrating.

I semi-read spoilers and knew that he would be in the episode but I didn't really get how until I ventured into this thread too early and saw someone post about Adam seeing Joan dance with a boy and I just about squealed knowing that it was gonna be CBG dancing with her. [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img]
Old 01-17-2004, 05:11 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Ahhhh I think this is probably the first ship where you know 100% certain that nothing will ever come of it so it's so incredibly frustrating.
*pokes fingers in ears* lalalalalalalalalala, i'm not hearing this! BLASPHEMY! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

and i almost have to mute Kris Lemche at times, because some things he does with his voice reminds me of that craaaaaaaaazy accent he did on that silly Emily of New Moon show. sends me into fits of giggles when i think about it.

Matt Nathanson
Old 01-17-2004, 06:24 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by last beautiful girl:
<STRONG>

Is it wrong that I 'shipped CBG and Joan for a tiny second while they were dancing? I was like..."aww, they're so cute...wait he's God. That's wrong!"
</STRONG>
I know what you mean. Although Adam and Joan are my fave ship. I do like her with Cute boy God.

OMG and I forgot to talk about the fire and the party. OMG Will's co workers would have been killed in that fire, so I hope Joan does not get punished to badly for that fire. And this whole time I was wondering why god wanted her to have a party when she was misrable [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

It's a Sarkney thing, you wouldn't understand...
Old 01-17-2004, 11:28 AM
Passionate Fan

This show just gets better and better as it goes along

I have more to say but I don't have time now
Old 01-17-2004, 11:47 AM
Extreme Fan

christinedechagny! *gasps and nearly falls out of seat* Oh my CuteGuy God! Is it okay that I want to propose to your new avie? [img]smilies/look.gif[/img] I do... And yes it is frustrating knowing that this is one ship that will not happen! No matter what you do as far as canon wise! There are days where I curse BHall's commandment where God does not "possess" people!

[img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img]

Okay... I've thought it out and here's my kinda long review of "Recreation"... careful, you're being warned that this post is long!

Okay, after much a night's rest (though I couldn't really count having less than six hours worthy of "sleep", darn insomnia), I need to really point how "happy" I am that out of all the JoA writers, that it was Barbara Hall that had written the post- most acclaimed "Jump" episode.

Happy is an understatement... more like "thankful" because it is quite appropriate for I really believe "Recreation" is the next chapter for (at least) most of the main characters in this show. Which is another reason why I'm thrilled by the reappearance of CuteBoyGod (despite all else), which the reason I'll get to later.

To recap, "Jump" was the climaxtic end to an otherwise rollarcoaster ride of a first half of the series. That episode basically ended the chapter for Will, Luke, Kevin, and Joan/Adam.

Will: In the beginning of the series, Will had a lot of responsibility placed on his shoulders. He carried a lot of burdens himself in trying to better the Arcadia Police Dept. In the end, after practically shutting the APD, and its inner higher ups, down, Will realizes that he wasn't cut out for such a job and prefered something more suited for him. A job we began noticing as more "hitting the pavement, facing the bad guys in action" detective mode. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Sorry for lack of words to describe it but you get my drift. So the fact that he stepped down voluntarily, demoting himself to a job more suited for his tastes, proved that Will wanted to start anew.

Luke: Face it, since the beginning he's been this very bright (understatement as far as the topic of science goes) kid whose whole focus in life had been about... you guessed it, science. He was also quite "ignored" which wasn't ironic considering that his genius would make him sought for greater things. That probably explains why he's so adament in achieving greater scientific discoveries which will lead him to fame. However, w/ the introduction of Grace & Joan joining his AP chem class, that was going to change. With Grace in the picture, Luke was discovering that there is more to life than science. The science fair was this test to him; work w/ someone he LIKES as opposed to working w/ someone that practically guarantees a win. In the end, Luke worked w/ Grace and if you didn't know who Luke Giradi was after THAT explosive experiment, where have you been hiding?

Kevin: Pretty obvious here if you've been following the series. Kevin started in the series as being this bitter, jaded, once-had-it-all but lost it b/c of a mistake of judgement (some on his behalf), no job no car, could care less about life, young man. Now look at him. Helen puts it best when she was telling Will that now Kevin was going after life. He had a car, a job, was starting to slowly making friends, and is beginning to focus on girls again. Kevin accepting Bear's friendship was his way of accepting a new chapter into his life.

Joan/Adam: cha... do I really need to go there? You all know what's been going on w/ these two since "The Fire & The wood". The ups (The Boat & Bringeth It on) and downs (mostly anything post-Devil Made Me...)... and the characters still seemed to develop even more despite the slowly descending friendship. You became aware of Adam's burdens and why he was so lost sometimes and seemed so childlike. Man, his childhood came to an abrupt end at his mother's death (a suicide non the less). Add in the fact that he feared he was the cause of it. When Joan came, she was more than Jane... she not only made him believe that there was life after his mother's death, but also confront it. There friendship slowly became much better and w/ their whole kiss happening... it was "redefining" into another level. A chapter had ended and thus we begin...

Recreation... to redefine, to recreate... almost even to start anew.

Barbara Hall whom had started it all was choosen to redefine it all again.

Will: Still had issues from the past chapter, but w/ the alone time he had w/ Helen... he faced it and could now start over fresh w/o the burdens.

Kevin: Taking that big step and acknowledging his attraction to his boss. Ending in a make-out session to say the least!

God: Anyone else take notice that Almighty was "all around" being noticed outside of Joan's spectrum? Seriously, anti-drug spokesdoctor even had a last name (said by Price though I cannot recall it now myself!). ETA: Looked it up, it's Dr. Halliwell. God also (in the form of a really young, somewhat annoying kid) called Joan "girlfriend". "You should throw a party, girlfriend." Ha! I'm still snickering over that! Drugstore/cigaretteGod was even talking to Joan about her situation w/ Adam... in front of Luke! Then of course CuteBoyGod's little dance w/ Joan as witnessed by Adam (and any other kid in that room).

Which brings me to the dance between CBG and Joan. Or should I start to call him CuteGuyGod because Kris Lemche (growing hair and all) is starting to slightly age w/ Amber. This is probably the first time ever we see Joan thisclose in proximity to God. Even if they held their distance, how much closer can you get to God w/o it getting truly... weird? Yet another turning point in their relationship.

CGG had it right when he was telling Joan that recreation also meant to redefine what was undefined. To put it bluntly, the whole complicated relationship w/ Adam.

Loved CGG's convesation here:

CGG: Adam's confused.
Joan: Adam's always confused.
CGG: (chuckles, which FYI: fell in love w/ Kris) Well, you're taking the confusion to a whole 'nother level.

Joan ignoring Adam was more like Joan ignoring the kiss situation in hopes of it fading away so that things between them could go back like it used to. Of course it CAN'T b/c Adam and Jane both admitted that their kiss meant a lot. So their relationship needed to be redefined. And it looked like it seemed more like a middle ground... not quite a couple, yet obviously more than friends.

Adam seeing Jane w/ "that other guy" (otherwise known as CGG) and telling Joan that the 'Jane' "days are over"... could mean his crush/placing Joan on a pedestal is ending. Which is why I wanted the next time for Adam to call her "Jane", it has nothing to do w/ his crush on her but more like a nickname.

And that dance (yet another reason why I love BHall's writing) was a fitting beginning/celebration of sorts to the Jane/Adam storyline. It was less intimate than a shared kiss, yet their closeness proved once more that they mean a lot more to one another.

[img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

And looking at this long post, see it once again proved that insomnia can be a good thing! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

[ 01-17-2004: Message edited Sweetwater Gal ]

[ 01-17-2004: Message edited Sweetwater Gal ]

Joan of Arcadia
Thank you for the ripples.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:28 PM
Obsessed Fan

Insomnia--ain't it the pits? My usual bedtime lately has been 4 or 5, but last night it was 7? Agony. Which is why it's 3:18 and I've barely been up 10 minutes. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Anyway, just wanted to reply to something:
Quote:
Joan ignoring Adam was more like Joan ignoring the kiss situation in hopes of it fading away so that things between them could go back like it used to
I'm *sort* of there with you, but I don't think Joan was so much wanting things to go back to the way they were before as much as being frightened of what happens next. The fear of change is still our common factor. I think someone said it really well on the TWOP boards: it's one thing to want a boyfriend, but to actually be confronted with one is an entirely different story. Joan was scared and took the all-to-familiar teenage route and made the kiss less than it was. I've been there and I acted even more evasive when confronted with a possible boyfriend. It's terrifying!

So I'm clapping the writers on the back for making this storyline pretty darn realistic, in my opinion. We're kinda dopey when it comes to 'romantic love', and it's a wonder we know which way is forward in this situation. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] Stepping back from my role in the Good Ship J/A, I believe it's a great change in their relationship. It would have been too soon for a romantic one, and we ended on a high note with the pair so yay to some happy times in the future. Less angst.

And I've *got* to stop reading spoilers cuz it's making it so hard to wait until the next new episode. But this is the first show where I'm almost as excited over the reruns. Woo!

Matt Nathanson
Old 01-17-2004, 04:24 PM
Loyal Fan

yeah...fear of the unknown. It's a powerful thing. Especially when you have this great relationship with a guy. Adam and Jane are fresh from the recovery of their fallout. I believe that Jane realized then what Adam means to her, even if only as a friend. Then they kiss. There has to be an insane amount of fear there. She doesn't want to lose him again. But I think she has realized that there are feelings there, so I'm not really sure she'd want things to go back to exactly the way they were before. So she treats him poorly (and breaks my heart as well). I just want them to take things slowly. Because poor Adam is already damaged enough.

Hmmm...is it odd that I spend way more time pondering about the relationships formed between two fictional characters more than my own non-existant ones?

Oh, and side note. Well, we were talking about how we find JOA references creeping into our daily language (ok, mostly Adam's, but still). I was at work today and the guy I was working with made some sort of crack about being "the almighty one." And I just off-handedly commented, "No you're not. CBG is." Of course, he asked who "CBG" is and what does it stand for. Once I realized I had said that out loud, I just started laughing. Man I love this show, yo.