Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 05-09-2005, 09:42 PM
Dedicated Fan

I would love to see more Adam/Grace scenes next season. Their few scenes together were among the most entertaining of the last year. They have such different personalities, yet for the most part they accept each other as they are. Until lately. I wonder how much the dynamic of their friendship has been changed permanently because of Adam's infidelity, and his "confession" to Grace. I think he really needs Grace in his life to keep him more down-to-earth. Grace seems to need someone who will listen to her rant and rave about her causes without actually arguing. Not that she doesn't like a good argument, or explaining things to the unenlightened, but at least she can vent her socio-political views on Adam without too much resistance. He might not agree, but he's not going to go out of his way to disagree, and sometimes that kind of acceptance can be restful, instead of tension-inducing.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:04 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Shadow any hope for an update soon? Pretty Please.
Haha. Maybe. Hopefully. It's my graduation quarter so I'm pretty busy with getting my demo reel together and my portfolio in order, plus work for 5 classes, so free time is quite the luxery. However, I do have some work done on it so here's hoping. Keep your fingers crossed. Nice to see it's in demand.

I, too, would love to see more Adam and Grace scenes next year (optimism). It's nice to see a platonic male-female friendship where there's not really any chance of it turning around into a romantic relationship (although, that would be....I suppose interesting is the best word there). I'd like to learn a bit more about their past together, since apparently they've known each other since they were 3 but have been friends since second grade. I'd like to not have to blame that on lazy writing.

On another note, I was gathering clips for another video and watched the thumb war scene from Requiem again. That's such a great little background detail.

"I'm just a simple anarchist trying to get through my day" - Grace ~ JoA
Old 05-10-2005, 04:56 PM
Dedicated Fan

It's not that unbelievable to me that they would know each other since age three but not be friends till second grade. It could be that their parents were friends (hard to picture that, though) or they were just in the same pre-school class. There was someone I'd known for years and couldn't stand, but our parents were friends so we were occasionally forced to spend time together. One day, after years of emnity, we actually were both bored enough to sit down and talk for a while, and found out we had a lot more in common than we thought. Also, he'd mellowed out slighly and I'd become marginally less uptight, so that helped. We were able to be pretty good friends for a while there, so I can see something similar happening with Adam and Grace. It doesn't seem like they'd have much in common at all, except for both being loners, having family secrets, and both being shunned by the "popular" kids for being unconventional. Also, neither of them would give a rat's ass about not being a clone of the rest of their peers. So, yeah, maybe they have more in common than we'd think!

Last edited by shrams; 05-10-2005 at 11:35 PM
Old 05-10-2005, 09:53 PM
Loyal Fan

I kind of think that's just sloppy writing there have been three different things said about how long they have been friends -

First Grace said she'd known him since she was 3 - mid/early season one, where she tells Joan that Adam is "stupid about her" I think it might have been "Recreation"

Then mid/late season one when Joan tells Iris that Adam and Grace have been "best friends since pre-school" (which would be 3-4 years old, so it does measure up to the first comment by Grace)

now Grace says "friends since second Grade" - when Joan said "friends since pre-school" and no one corrected her.

It would be hard to imagine their parents as being friends, they seem like they would be at such opposite ends of everything imaginable - socially, religiously, class wise.

We already know that Adam was a lot different before his mom died, so who knows - he and Grace might have been more alike back then. Since they did flashbacks (sort of) with those home movies of Adam and his mom, I'd love to see Grace and Adam when they were younger, though it'll probably never happen - it would be awesome.

we both go together if one falls down
talk out loud like you're still around

© JESS | tm | tw | lj
Old 05-10-2005, 10:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

My dream is for some reason to have a Grace/Adam episode hopefully with flashbacks. I'm dying to find out how they all started. Because like stated the age of friendship keeps getting rewriten. Plus just how close were they? For awhile I got the feeling that they were the best of friends. Grace knew about his mother and the note etc but then in other shows it almost seems that instead of being friends they knew of each other. And what about Ramesy? it sounded like all three of them use to hang out. I'm so confused...maybe I need to dig out my tapes.
Jensen&Jared
s o u l m a t e s
Old 05-10-2005, 10:53 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
My dream is for some reason to have a Grace/Adam episode hopefully with flashbacks.
If that were to happen, the writer of that episode would be my hero. Seriously, I will build a shrine to whoever comes up with a reason for an episode like that to happen. Anyway, yeah, my theory is maybe they knew each other on like the playground or something when they were 3 but were never really friends until later on. I have a friend like that, we knew each other but didn't know each other for awhile. Knowing each other in pre-school doesn't make much sense to me, though. I'm not sure about other places, but where I grew up all the pre-schools were actually ran out of churches and the synagogue. So, if that was the case, the two of them knowing each other in pre-school doesn't make sense to me. Oh well. Maybe they played at the same park or something and ended up at the same elementary school.

Old 05-10-2005, 11:04 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Knowing each other in pre-school doesn't make much sense to me, though. I'm not sure about other places, but where I grew up all the pre-schools were actually ran out of churches and the synagogue.
my pre-school had no religious backing, it was just a public school for anyone and everyone

Quote:
My dream is for some reason to have a Grace/Adam episode hopefully with flashbacks.
Oh, that's definetly up there in my dream episode list as well, right next to the "what if Joan never started talking to God" episode.

we both go together if one falls down
talk out loud like you're still around

© JESS | tm | tw | lj
Old 05-10-2005, 11:47 PM
Dedicated Fan

In my day, back when dinosaurs roamed, there was no such thing as pre-school. :/ Too bad, I might have liked it. I'll put in another vote for an Adam/Grace flashback episode. Here's my scenario: The Girardis are on vacation, but kind of a boring vacation we don't need to see. In the meantime, Adam and Grace are bored, and start talking about pre-Girardi life, and we see both of their recollections (in flashbacks) of when they first met, when they started hanging together or became friends, etc.. Since their memories don't really mesh, they end up arguing about who's right, and the audience is left wondering which memory, if either, was the true one.

Of course, if there were such a scene it would probably be filmed in Adam's shed, but in a more perfect world they'd have the money to build a set of Adam's bedroom, or at least some room inside his house. Something tells me that's no more likely to happen than the rest of the episode I just described. Actually, I'd be happy to just see a few more Grace-and-Adam scenes. It might be almost sacreligious, but sometimes I get a little tired of the Girardis.

Oh, in my little fantasy TV show, I'd also like to see an episode of what might have happened if Adam, and not Joan, was the one talking to God. Then we could see her reaction to his odd behavior, and his excuses for various things. Aw, come on, I said just one episode, you wouldn't have to watch an entire series like that! And don't y'all want to see Grace trying to debate with God about, well, everything?
Old 05-11-2005, 09:06 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
And don't y'all want to see Grace trying to debate with God about, well, everything?
Ha! There's part of my dream episode. That would be a debate actually worth watching, not like those presidential debates. And I just had a funny image of Grace and Goth G-d sitting over coffee talking about how stupid the human race is.

I, too, tire of the Girardis now and then. So, I would be more than thrilled if we somehow got an episode where Grace and Adam had the A plot, and Joan had the B plot. Which, yeah, Joan of Arcadia, but you know, it's pretty much an ensamble cast anyway despite having a title character. They might as well start playing like it. I'm not saying every episode; I'm just saying it'd be nice to give someone else an A plot every now and then. The cool thing about a Grace and Adam A plot is that it could be incredibly humorous or really dramatic, because we know they can pull off both. But yeah, that'll never happen, so here's to a few more scenes. One of which I'd like to be just them hanging out being friends, not having some crazy crisis to deal with. Like they're in Adam's shed and Grace is ranting about stuff while Adam works quietly on something occassionally laughing at how insane his friend is.

Old 05-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

I agree, don't get me wrong the Girardis are great but they do get kinda boring sometimes. We know their story why not explore the other guys. They could even tie into the Girardis if they wanted to. Like Adam/Grace on the hunt to find something or someone, anything really as long as we get more Grace/Adam scenes. Even a scene about them trying to figure out the Girardis, like how the whole family can be so different from one another, example Joan/Luke.
Jensen&Jared
s o u l m a t e s
Old 05-12-2005, 08:57 PM
Dedicated Fan

There are so many things these kids don't know about each other, and it's hard to know how much of it is deliberately trying to keep certain things quiet or hidden, or how much is general apathy, or the assumption that even your best friends won't really give a damn if they know these things. Some of it might be the fear that your friends will abandon you if they hear about your bizarre family life or unusual childhood or whatever, but we see very little discussion of that. Luke got Grace to open up a bit about it, but Joan doesn't ever seem to ask her friends serious questions about their lives. But then, whenever they try to ask her questions, she gives evasive answers, so I can see why they don't try too hard. I hope Grace will keep pushing Joan to explain more about her behavior. I'd really like to see Grace and Adam discuss the different ways in which they see Joan and Luke, because I'm sure they have very different opinions and perspectives.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

You bring up a very good point Shrams. You would think considering they have been friends for so long that surely Adam must know about her mother and yet they never touch on the issue. I would even settle for a "how is your mom doing?" from Adam. Maybe they each know better then to ask but still a little insite for us would be appreciated.
Jensen&Jared
s o u l m a t e s
Old 05-12-2005, 11:42 PM
Dedicated Fan

I always figured the mother thing was just something they didn't talk about. Probably for the same reason I doubt Grace ever prodded Adam about the note from his mother. Though, I wonder if she even knows he finally read it. They seem to me kind of like...they know each others deep, personal issues but they just never talk about them, which is something I'd really like to see. The thing is, though, that neither one of them seem to be the type that would be really forthcoming in discussing personal information, unless it's with their respective Girardis with whom they've grown to trust and open up to. Of course, their Girardi related growth might also have spawned a type of personal growth that would make them more willing to open up to each other a little as well, because there are some things you can only talk about with your best friend.

Old 05-16-2005, 10:00 PM
Fan Forum Star

you bring up a very good point shadow. I hadn't thought of it that way.
Jensen&Jared
s o u l m a t e s
Old 10-25-2005, 11:34 AM
Dedicated Fan

The should just bring Chris and Becky back for an hour special. "The Grace and Adam Funtime Hour". I'd watch that.

And of course, now I just gave myself this mental image of Grace and Adam and brightly colored puppets surrounded by a bunch of little kids and wondering what kind of crack they must have been on to take that job.