Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2017, 05:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

2x07 - "Chapter Twenty: Tales From The Darkside" Episode Discussion {November 29th}

Chapter Twenty: Tales From The Darkside
November 29th 2017
The CW

Riverdale remains on edge after a chilling letter from the Black Hood challenges the town's residents to remain sinless for 48 hours - or he'll strike again. Meanwhile, Jughead and Archie's friendship gets tested after Penny Peabody unexpectedly calls in a favor that Jughead owes her. Elsewhere, Betty and Veronica team up to investigate someone who Betty thinks could be the Black Hood killer. Finally, things take an unexpected turn for Josie when a secret admirer takes things one step too far.
*Stephie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:43 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks Stephie .
Emily
Barstool Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

You're welcome.

I will only be able to watch on Saturday.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

You're welcome.

I will only be able to watch on Saturday.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:50 PM
Obsessed Fan

Thanks for the thread!

I think this was my favorite ep so far solely because I liked which characters they chose to pair up.

- Multiple POVs on the same story is one of my favorite types of narration. Even though the show did absolutely nothing special or memorable with it, I still enjoyed it.
- Betty/Veronica interactions. Betty/Kevin/Veronica interactions are also growing on me. They’ve kinda been there since the pilot, but I think I’ve only started really appreciating them recently.
- “Mr. American Gothic.” I choose to believe the OTT creepy guy spends his free time reading gothic fiction and trying to emulate the characters.
- I like Archie as a supporting character in someone else’s story more than I like him as the main character in his own story.
- The version of Chuck we saw this ep is sympathetic and tolerable. I wish they had just gone with the misunderstood-jock/jerk-jock-on-the-road-to-redemption trope from the get go. That would have of course been cliché as hell but still better than what they did with his character in s1.

Mehs and dislikes:
- The generic, boring horror lite style they chose for the entire ep for some reason. Is it not enough that the whole season has a boring slasher plot?
- I really wanted Cheryl/Josie. Especially romantic C/J. But not with a potentially psychopathic Cheryl ruining Josie’s life. I really hope that there is a twist here and that they were misleading us with heavily implying it was Cheryl who was the creepy “admirer.” (They have got to at least be aware of the fact that the predatory lesbian trope is not a good idea, right?) The janitor looked as a potential suspect too after all. Either way, I hate that they had to throw that in there the very first time we saw C/J interact properly.
- While I like seeing Beronica and Kevin interact, the sl within which the interactions happened was so damn boring. At this point I don’t see why Kevin’s dad/Josie’s mom affair is interesting. Maybe I could see it in the future if they spend more time with these two families and show how Kevin and Josie deal with this. For now it just seems like an irrelevant ~surprising ~twist.
- I get that fear for the loved ones can be paralyzing and make ppl do stupid things, but why would Jughead not check on his father immediately after finishing his first convo with the Serpent lawyer lady? Also, getting into the car with a creepy stranger in the middle of the night? Nobody is that stupid. Except bad-horror-movie characters of course.
Slayerette89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:11 AM
Fan Forum Star

I found this episode SUPER strange and weird. It kind of felt like it started in the middle or something? Something just felt off to me. I mean, obviously the way they laid out the episode was different and I liked that, but in general it just felt a lot eerier. I kept going "wtf!" at random moments over dumb things. But, I still love the show and it makes me happy.

Did Jughead/Betty sleep together or not? We see them waking up in bed together? I am going to assume that they haven't and she just slept in his clothes but come on, don't leave us hanging here. They already skipped over their reunion, I want more information on where they stand and whats going on. Are they ever going to sleep together?

Jughead/Archie ARE THE MOST ADORABLE FRIENDS EVER. I just love that Archie wanted to help Jughead and that they are "square" now again. Archie revealing that he wants to live in New York with the ot4 just warmed my heart. He just loves Jughead so much, its so clear. The guy that picked up Jughead was a total creep and I don't really get how he fit into everything? Why would Jughead even go with him to begin with? And what was with the bloody deer in the street, I am so confused. I like Penny, but Jughead transporting drugs for her.... come on. I knew she was going to blackmail him and that FP was fine. Jughead should have said no to begin with. (ps I want more FP stuff!)

Kevin still needs more to do and I am not surprised that sheriff keller and mayor McCoy are having an affair since they are always together. I agree this was not interesting information....Hello Papa Keller working out. . Him being suspected obviously means he's not the killer. Kevin/V sleepover was cute.

JOSIE!!! I was so glad we got more of her in the episode omg you guys. Like, she needed this episode. It was so nice to finally get some focus on her and her relationship with her mom. The Chuck thing was sort of random? I dont think I can buy that he is suddenly reformed but I kinda hope its true because I want to like him. The actor is hot. lol. Josies "I'm not Whitney. Not yet anyways.” Was amazing. I don't really care for the other pussycats.

Cheryl/Josie: I did love how their scene played into Archie and Jugheads, that was cool to see. “Out of the way Burt and Ernie.” Those two are great together but Cheryl was totally giving off gay vibes the entire time! Is she now in love with Josie for saving her? lol. Is this whole "secret admirer" thing just Cheryl's plot to get Chuck in trouble since he mistreated women in the past and now Cheryl is on a bender for justice or something? And what was the janitor's deal? Was he really necessarily in the episode? I'm confused. What is Cheryl's freaking agenda?

Betty/veronica sleuthing together was amazing, so glad they got more scenes together. Betty accusing Sheriff Keller so hard was a bit strange. Veronica sneaking around the Keller house was fun. I wanted a bit more for their storyline though. The girls seeing the boys at the diner was cool. “On second thought it looks like they’re having an intense broment." OMG best line ever.

ARCHIE AND VERONICA in the promo I CANNOT. He loves her.

It was a fun episode! Not the best ever but still enjoyable.

random notes:
-Archies "lets call Triple C." was hilarious.
-Archie not wanting to get Betty involved, but calling Kevin, no problem.
-Where the hell was Reggie this episode?

Last edited by Alexa; 11-30-2017 at 02:16 AM
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:25 AM
New Fan

I'd like to discuss the episode in the three parts.

Jughead and Archie:
Dislike:
- How Jughead
DramaticDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:16 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
I found this episode SUPER strange and weird. It kind of felt like it started in the middle or something? Something just felt off to me. I mean, obviously the way they laid out the episode was different and I liked that, but in general it just felt a lot eerier. I kept going "wtf!" at random moments over dumb things. But, I still love the show and it makes me happy.

Did Jughead/Betty sleep together or not? We see them waking up in bed together? I am going to assume that they haven't and she just slept in his clothes but come on, don't leave us hanging here. They already skipped over their reunion, I want more information on where they stand and whats going on. Are they ever going to sleep together?

Jughead/Archie ARE THE MOST ADORABLE FRIENDS EVER. I just love that Archie wanted to help Jughead and that they are "square" now again. Archie revealing that he wants to live in New York with the ot4 just warmed my heart. He just loves Jughead so much, its so clear. The guy that picked up Jughead was a total creep and I don't really get how he fit into everything? Why would Jughead even go with him to begin with? And what was with the bloody deer in the street, I am so confused. I like Penny, but Jughead transporting drugs for her.... come on. I knew she was going to blackmail him and that FP was fine. Jughead should have said no to begin with. (ps I want more FP stuff!)

Kevin still needs more to do and I am not surprised that sheriff keller and mayor McCoy are having an affair since they are always together. I agree this was not interesting information....Hello Papa Keller working out. . Him being suspected obviously means he's not the killer. Kevin/V sleepover was cute.

JOSIE!!! I was so glad we got more of her in the episode omg you guys. Like, she needed this episode. It was so nice to finally get some focus on her and her relationship with her mom. The Chuck thing was sort of random? I dont think I can buy that he is suddenly reformed but I kinda hope its true because I want to like him. The actor is hot. lol. Josies "I'm not Whitney. Not yet anyways.” Was amazing. I don't really care for the other pussycats.

Cheryl/Josie: I did love how their scene played into Archie and Jugheads, that was cool to see. “Out of the way Burt and Ernie.” Those two are great together but Cheryl was totally giving off gay vibes the entire time! Is she now in love with Josie for saving her? lol. Is this whole "secret admirer" thing just Cheryl's plot to get Chuck in trouble since he mistreated women in the past and now Cheryl is on a bender for justice or something? And what was the janitor's deal? Was he really necessarily in the episode? I'm confused. What is Cheryl's freaking agenda?

Betty/veronica sleuthing together was amazing, so glad they got more scenes together. Betty accusing Sheriff Keller so hard was a bit strange. Veronica sneaking around the Keller house was fun. I wanted a bit more for their storyline though. The girls seeing the boys at the diner was cool. “On second thought it looks like they’re having an intense broment." OMG best line ever.

ARCHIE AND VERONICA in the promo I CANNOT. He loves her.

It was a fun episode! Not the best ever but still enjoyable.

random notes:
-Archies "lets call Triple C." was hilarious.
-Archie not wanting to get Betty involved, but calling Kevin, no problem.
-Where the hell was Reggie this episode?

I think I can answer some of these questions:

Tony Todd is the American Gothic guy. He is a trained Shakespearean actor but most of the roles he gets are as Candyman, The Ancient Mariner in Xena, and a mortician in Final Destination. He has a deep voice perfect for horror movies so he gets typecast a lot.

I think he and the deer where in the show because of where they were going. They are going to air Sabrina the Teenage Witch, a horror version based on the comics this winter and she lives in Greendale Jughead was told don't stay in Greendale after dark and in the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, witches, demons, etc are out after midnight. I think this was a subtle way to introduce their new Sabrina show. Riverdale and Greendale often interchange in the comics with Sabrina making appearances in Riverdale and Betty and Veronica and Ms. Grundy making appearances in Greendale. I think it was just to establish Greendale as a creepy place.

I miss Reggie too. He should have more of a part.

I can understand Jughead getting in the car because he thinks his dad is in trouble and wants to help Penny so she will help his dad. He is regretting his decision and is unsure about the serpents and who to trust but since Penny helped him before, he trusts her. Why he didn't check first? Who knows?

Josie befriended Chuck and we saw him attempting to change but with her mother getting hate notes, the Black Hood roaming around and threatening everyone and her own stalking, she is afraid and trusts Cheryl due to them being friends and Cheryl helping her career. When Cheryl convinces her it's Chuck, she is too scared that she lashes on to Cheryl because Josie trusts her. Unfortunately it looks like that trust is misplaced and Cheryl is obsessed with her and alienating her from any outside interests like Chuck and the pussycats

Why did Betty jump on the Sheriff is the killer bandwagon? She is anxious and scared and wants to unmask the Black Hood who has been psychologically torturing her. She hears the Black Hood walked into the police station, ergo it must be someone who no one will question, a cop and than she sees his board. I think she latched on to this because of the circumstantial evidence and her guilt and fear. She wants him gone so she is going into dark Betty mode or reckless Betty mode. Betty is usually the objective one but int this case, her guilt is not allowing her to see things clearly which is why it is good that Veronica is there to help her.

I think the theme of the story, or at least the first part of it (I think part 2 is coming next episode) is desperation. All the characters are desperate and making reckless mistakes(Josie, Betty, and Jughead) but only Betty and Jughead have objective friends to help them. Poor Josie was isolated from everyone except mom and Cheryl, who is the stalker. I think that is why the show did that format. They showed the same day but from different perspectives with the added part that each main was fearful and desperate. I think it was a set up for the end when the Black Hood is going to enact a reckoning since nobody passed his test.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:07 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace52373 (View Post)

I think he and the deer where in the show because of where they were going. They are going to air Sabrina the Teenage Witch, a horror version based on the comics this winter and she lives in Greendale Jughead was told don't stay in Greendale after dark and in the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, witches, demons, etc are out after midnight. I think this was a subtle way to introduce their new Sabrina show. Riverdale and Greendale often interchange in the comics with Sabrina making appearances in Riverdale and Betty and Veronica and Ms. Grundy making appearances in Greendale. I think it was just to establish Greendale as a creepy place.

Yep, and the deer that Archie saw was probably the deer's ghost. Oh I wonder if the woman who Jughead&Archie delivered the crate too is working for the Spellman's.
dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Heartstopper

OMG THIS EPISODE. So freaky & weird! Would have been a perfect Halloween episode. @ the opening being like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre film's.

Bughead continues to be adorable. Cudding in bed.

Forget about all the ships. Jarchie is endgame. Archie is always so worried about his boy & would do anything to keep him safe.

Was that creepy guy meant to be the strangler or whatever creepy name they gave too the guy who murdered the family?

YAS MORE JOSIE! Actual backstory and a storyline just about her. The Chuck cameo was random and I totally thought that the Janitor was going to end up being the ~stalker. So is Cheryl Josie's ~stalker? Is she in love with her? What is up with the drawings?

B & V on the case! Can we just get a spin off of them solving mysteries together? Also Veronica continues to be this show's voice of reason.

Kevin My lil dork!
nick ♥ charlie
jordan ○ icon
Simon Spier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

Did Cheryl and Josie have a thing? Or is Cheryl crazy?... Bughead - I wanted more substance to their reunion, but at least they are back together. Loving all the friendship stuff this season.
Emily
Barstool Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

Omg wow Cheryl & Josie! I like them together but just wish Cheryl wasn't going about it in a crazy way!
Old 12-01-2017, 01:52 AM
Fan Forum Star

^ Does everyone thing that they are a romantic thing or does Cheryl just want to be besties with Josie.

I’m fine with the Greendale thing, but this show is not a backdoor pilot for that. And I don’t want to see the dumb supernatural stuff in this show. This show is not supernatural.

Quote:
Yep, and the deer that Archie saw was probably the deer's ghost.
no, no, no. No ghosts here.

The most obvious explanation is the guy shot that deer too but it ran off and then bled everywhere.

It doesnt make sense that Jughead would have gone with the guy though. He should have stayed with Archie to wait for Kevin or the police?

I think the guy spying on Josie all episode is either her actual stalker, or he could even be the black hood. They keep saying its a white man. And this guy was in the episode too much for him to just be a nobody.

I realize the drawings connected, but idk, I feel like things cant be that obvious. Everyone things Cheryl is her stalker but I am not sure.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:22 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)

I’m fine with the Greendale thing, but this show is not a backdoor pilot for that. And I don’t want to see the dumb supernatural stuff in this show. This show is not supernatural.

no, no, no. No ghosts here.

The most obvious explanation is the guy shot that deer too but it ran off and then bled everywhere.

It doesnt make sense that Jughead would have gone with the guy though. He should have stayed with Archie to wait for Kevin or the police?
Well, that's what they did with the DC/CW shows. The obvious doesn't exist in Greendale. Jughead couldn't wait for the police, I mean they were hauling a stolen crate that they thought was drugs, so most likely he&Archie would've gotten arrested for illegal drug trafficking, possession of a stolen item, and breaking&entering.
dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

yeah i thought it was ridiculous when arrow suddenly went the supernatural route as it hadnt been that way for 2+ seasons prior.

maybe the obvious doesnt exist in greendale but on river dale, it does.

they were calling for a tire though? and they could have hidden the box in the woods for a quick minute until the cops left

going with a creepy man and getting murdered is a much better idea.
Reply   Post New Thread