Old 02-22-2016, 03:57 AM
Loyal Fan

Episode Discussion: Episodes 2x08 & 2x09

Episode Discussion:
Episodes 2x08 "The Edge of Mystery" and 2x09 "A Little Song and Dance",
first shown on 23/02/2016

Synopsis for Episode 2x08 "The Edge of Mystery":

Quote:
Peggy and Sousa propose a trade with Whitney Frost, while the SSR gets help from Howard Stark that may be the key to eliminating Zero Matter.

Synopsis for Episode 2x09 "A little Song and Dance":

Quote:
Peggy desperately tries to save Dr. Wilkes with a dangerous plan to stop Whitney Frost. But Thompson makes a surprising move that could destroy them all.

Promo:

Sneak Peek (Ep. 2x08):

Sneak Peek (Ep. 2x09):

Promo Pictures:

So far only for Ep. 2x08. As they are huge, I just post the link for the time being:

Source

~~~~

Last edited by Bellydancer_1; 02-29-2016 at 04:10 AM
Old 02-22-2016, 07:37 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for starting Anne.

A bit of a snippet on 2X09:

Quote:
“A Little Song and Dance” – Lyndsy Fonseca Guest Stars as Angie Martinelli, and the Episode Includes a Dance Number Featuring the Show’s Cast and “Dancing with the Stars” Dancers Louis van Amstel, Dmitry Chaplin, Damian Whitewood, Sasha Farber, Anna Trebunskaya and Karina Smirnoff
+

Yay for Lyndsy being back (finally!).

There's nothing more human than l o v e.
the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Sarah | tumblr | little splashes of colour + credit
Old 02-22-2016, 06:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Carrie Underwood

Yay! Angie/Lyndsy is back!

Is Daniel gonna be dancing without his cane? I guess if it's a dream sequence, it's possible.

Aaron Tveit is Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Old 02-23-2016, 01:33 AM
Loyal Fan

Another pic:

Last edited by Bellydancer_1; 02-23-2016 at 01:39 AM
Old 02-23-2016, 07:35 AM
Fan Forum Star

Love the pics! Looks like it's going to be a fun episode.

the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Old 02-23-2016, 02:26 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Carrie Underwood

I agree, Sarah! The costumes look fabulous!

Looks like I won't be able to watch either episode until tomorrow afternoon.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:05 PM
Extreme Fan

They would have never included some lame musical number in "AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D." Instead, they saved it for "AGENT CARTER".
"The term 'Black Magic' was originally a reference to the type of 'magic' (spiritual beliefs) done by people who were black and because of the racism of the time - 'Black=Bad'; we find the current idea of black magic meaning magic that is either bad, evil, or lesser." That is just wrong on so many levels.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:56 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Carrie Underwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR76 (View Post)
They would have never included some lame musical number in "AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D." Instead, they saved it for "AGENT CARTER".
Well, I happened to like it! It was a dream sequence, so I don't see anything wrong with the writers wanting to have a little fun & be more creative besides just having action and shooting and sci-fi-ness all the time! Enver & Hayley have beautiful voices and I enjoyed hearing them sing and they danced great together! And I guess it's a good thing AOS is back in 2 weeks, so you don't have to watch "some lame musical number" on Agent Carter anymore.

Anyway...

I enjoyed both episodes a lot! Jack made me laugh, but he also made me mad! He was so wishy-washy, I couldn't keep track of what he was doing/thinking.

The dream sequence was fun! I hope Peggy will make a decision by the end of the season (series?) finale, because we might not get a next season! Based on the promo, it seems like the episode is going to end in a cliffhanger, but I hope not! Especially if it's the end end.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:23 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by On My Own (View Post)
Well, I happened to like it! It was a dream sequence, so I don't see anything wrong with the writers wanting to have a little fun & be more creative besides just having action and shooting and sci-fi-ness all the time! Enver & Hayley have beautiful voices and I enjoyed hearing them sing and they danced great together! And I guess it's a good thing AOS is back in 2 weeks, so you don't have to watch "some lame musical number" on Agent Carter anymore.
This!
But I have to say that although I really liked the dream sequence of Peggy struggling with her choice of love interests, I found the musical number was slightly "misplaced" - it didn't really fit into the story so well. Maybe it should have come earlier in the season.

I really hope there will be a decision on Peggy's side, too, although I guess we know that Jason is out of the competition now. So chances are high that she might choose Daniel. But it would be nice if we knew for sure nevertheless.
I still think that there might be a chance that she won't choose anyone by the end of the season, though. And I agree, there definitely shouldn't be any cliffhanger whatsoever. If the show was not going to be renewed it would be so mean for everyone.

All in all two exciting episodes with some great acting again from Hayley and especially James. His scenes with Ana really were heartbreaking, and the fight with Peggy was totally believable. Well done!

Agree about Jack, it was a bit confusing as to where his true loyalties lay. It took me until the last second of the episode to understand that he was indeed on Peggy's team.

~~~~

Just found this raving review about James (for Ep. 2x8):

Quote:
Agent Carter Review: “The Edge of Mystery”

Promises are tricky things. Sometimes they’re so tricky you need a flash back to last season just to give them weight and meaning. So flashing back to last season is where last night’s episode of Agent Carter begins.

It’s a nice compliment to see Ana’s point of view from one of the series’ earliest moments. Nice to see the Jarvises (Jarvisees?) interacting as a couple before the action-adventure of Peggy Carter stepped into their life. And with hindsight being 20/20, we all know that actually, yes there is certainly something to worry about when Edwin and Miss Carter will be interfering in your life. Ana, it seems, doesn’t need the benefit of finishing season one and most of two to know that her husband is going to join Peggy Carter in her quest to clear Howard’s name. Ana just knows. Don’t make promises you can’t keep, indeed.

Especially if that promise is to keep your cool if Mrs. Jarvis happens to get shot. I mean honestly, Edwin, what did that radio ever do to you? Seeing Jarvis falling apart is heartbreaking, and quite frankly this turn towards the dramatic with him is pretty refreshing, as not all of his comedic material this season has been, well… quite as clever as it could be. James D’Arcy’s dramatic talents are one of the highlights of this episode, especially during his second scene of the night.

There are a lot of ways to convey the distressed spouse or lover. We often see crying. Angry outbursts are another. Catatonic silence is popular when shows want to take a subtler route. But for my money, nothing beats Jarvis’s seemingly endless list of promises to Ana in exchange for her survival. There’s something so wonderfully sincere, and in some ways, much more realistic about this scene. Of course you would want to talk to a loved one who is fighting for their life—give them enough reasons to keep fighting, and maybe their own will power can help them pull through. Promise them whatever they could want and they’ll find a way to come back. But still, we must remember what Ana says, “Don’t make promises you can’t keep.”

Jarvis’s roaring rampage of revenge is in full effect before Peggy can stop him, so before he can fulfill his promise to Ana of coming back safely, our favorite Stark employee is heading over to give Whitney a gun shot wound right to the chest. And what prompts this? What makes cool, rational Jarvis lose his self-control? Well, if you’ve been paying attention you might suspect it’s a promise. And you’d be right. Because when your hospitalized wife asks you if something’s wrong, you should tell her the truth. Not protect her from reality, which sadly was a common practice in the ‘40s. Don’t brush off her concerns with a, “Nothing’s wrong. You’re perfect.” Because Edwin, darling, you really shouldn’t make promises you can’t keep.

Source

~~~~

Some more reviews that actually address the (minor) issues I had with these episodes:

Breaking Down The Biggest Moments From Agent Carter: "The Edge of Mystery" And "A Little Song And Dance"

REVIEW: AGENT CARTER 2x08 AND 2X09 - "THE EDGE OF MYSTERY" & "A LITTLE SONG AND DANCE"

Quote:
FINAL SCORE

2.5 dance numbers out of 5. Oh, and in the unfortunately likely case that Agent Carter doesn't get picked up for a third season, I say we riot until Jarvis gets his own spinoff show, movie, and theme p

Last edited by Bellydancer_1; 02-25-2016 at 02:25 PM
Old 02-27-2016, 09:22 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by On My Own (View Post)
Well, I happened to like it! It was a dream sequence, so I don't see anything wrong with the writers wanting to have a little fun & be more creative besides just having action and shooting and sci-fi-ness all the time!
I think it makes more sense for AC to do it anyway because it has its campy moments in between all the serious storylines and characterisation. Heck, even Buffy did a musical episode and it's as dark/even darker than AC.

Haven't actually watched the episodes yet but it seems like this will be the most heartbreaking part to watch :

Quote:
Seeing Jarvis falling apart is heartbreaking, and quite frankly this turn towards the dramatic with him is pretty refreshing, as not all of his comedic material this season has been, well… quite as clever as it could be. James D’Arcy’s dramatic talents are one of the highlights of this episode, especially during his second scene of the night.

the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Old 02-27-2016, 11:42 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I think it makes more sense for AC to do it anyway because it has its campy moments in between all the serious storylines and characterisation. Heck, even Buffy did a musical episode and it's as dark/even darker than AC.

What campy moments? "AGENT CARTER" seemed nothing more than a period piece action series. That's it. As for the "BUFFY" musical episode, I never liked it. The episode pushed the story along, but I thought Joss Whedon could have accomplished this without musical numbers featuring songs that went in one ear and out of the other. Which is what happened in this musical interlude in "AGENT CARTER".

Quote:
Agree about Jack, it was a bit confusing as to where his true loyalties lay. It took me until the last second of the episode to understand that he was indeed on Peggy's team.

Jack Thompson is on Jack Thompson's team. As far as he is concerned, he is the boss. And he proved it by being willing to make the hard choices. Even Jason would have approved of his choice.

Jack might be a conceited ass who is too ambitious for his own good sometimes, but to label him as being on "Peggy's team" seemed a bit misleading.
"The term 'Black Magic' was originally a reference to the type of 'magic' (spiritual beliefs) done by people who were black and because of the racism of the time - 'Black=Bad'; we find the current idea of black magic meaning magic that is either bad, evil, or lesser." That is just wrong on so many levels.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
What campy moments? "AGENT CARTER" seemed nothing more than a period piece action series. That's it. As for the "BUFFY" musical episode, I never liked it. The episode pushed the story along, but I thought Joss Whedon could have accomplished this without musical numbers featuring songs that went in one ear and out of the other. Which is what happened in this musical interlude in "AGENT CARTER".
I meant more in the sense of the show having its lighthearted moments (like Jarvis and the flamingos for example). To each their own, that's fine that you didn't like the musical episodes in other shows since you feel it didn't work that well ... but from the general reactions I've seen so far, the viewers seem to have enjoyed it and I personally feel that it's a nice break from the dark theme of the show. I think it may also be a filler episode that TPTB slipped in there.

We always encourage everyone to air their opinions but let's just all remember to respect other people's thoughts since we all have our own way of interpreting episodes/storylines/characterisation and that's what makes watching a show interesting anyway. Just IMO.

the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Old 02-28-2016, 04:07 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Jack Thompson is on Jack Thompson's team. As far as he is concerned, he is the boss. And he proved it by being willing to make the hard choices. Even Jason would have approved of his choice.

Jack might be a conceited ass who is too ambitious for his own good sometimes, but to label him as being on "Peggy's team" seemed a bit misleading.
Sure, Jack is always working for himself first, but no need to be nit-picking about my choice of wording. What I meant was that at least they were ultimately on the same page and he wasn't actually working against Peggy & Co. That's all.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:26 AM
Moderator Support Team

love the dance number in pt2 so much. i didnt even notice the dwts on the show. i was to busy watching peggy/daniel/jarvis/angie all sing and dance. was that really them singing?
Old 02-28-2016, 01:49 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Carrie Underwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent mayhem (View Post)
We always encourage everyone to air their opinions but let's just all remember to respect other people's thoughts since we all have our own way of interpreting episodes/storylines/characterisation and that's what makes watching a show interesting anyway. Just IMO.
Thank you for addressing this. We all have our own thoughts & opinions and are welcome to discuss them in this thread, hence the "Discussion" title, but we need to remember to not be condescending and criticizing of other people's thoughts & opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Crazy (View Post)
love the dance number in pt2 so much. i didnt even notice the dwts on the show. i was to busy watching peggy/daniel/jarvis/angie all sing and dance. was that really them singing?
I am pretty sure it was! I could be totally wrong, though!

I can't believe there's only 1 episode left!